alsa troubles

ghe-2
I'm trying to get sound to work (most of my computers are used as servers, so it's usually not something I worry about).

I'm running Wheezy on a SuperMicro 5036T-T box.

> root@sbox:~# lspci | egrep -i audio
> 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) HD Audio Controller
> 03:00.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Cedar HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 5400/6300 Series]

As best I can tell, that Intel chip is a valid sound chip for Wheezy, and this is the machine where I did a netinstall.

> root@sbox:~# alsamixer
> ALSA lib dlmisc.c:254:(snd1_dlobj_cache_get) Cannot open shared library /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/alsa-lib/libasound_module_ctl_pulse.so
> cannot open mixer: No such device or address

Going down that series of directories with 'ls <tab>', I don't seem to have alsa-lib. I looked on the web, and all I could find was source code for it. I doubt that compiling the code is required for such a (seemingly) common library.

'find / -iname "*alsa-lib*"' shows nothing anywhere.

I have a number of alsa-looking things installed. But, according to Aptitude, alsa-lib isn't in any of them:

> root@sbox:~# ls /var/cache/apt/archives/ | egrep -i alsa
> alsa-base_1.0.25+3~deb7u1_all.deb
> alsamixergui_0.9.0rc2-1-9.1_amd64.deb
> alsa-utils_1.0.25-4_amd64.deb
> gstreamer0.10-alsa_0.10.36-1.1_amd64.deb

Any thought or solutions? Like which package alsa-lib is in, or why it wasn't installed when I did the original install?

--
Glenn English

Re: alsa troubles

tomas@tuxteam.de

Re: alsa troubles

Teemu Likonen-2
Glenn English [2015-10-19 10:32:38-06] wrote:

>> root@sbox:~# lspci | egrep -i audio
>> 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) HD
>> Audio Controller
>> 03:00.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Cedar HDMI
>> Audio [Radeon HD 5400/6300 Series]
>
> As best I can tell, that Intel chip is a valid sound chip for Wheezy,
> and this is the machine where I did a netinstall.

I would continue with "aplay -l". What does it say? Among other things
it should tell something like:

    card 0: blah blah [blah], device 0: blah [more blah]

Then you could try to put some music to that device:

    $ mpv music.mp3 --ao=alsa:device='[plughw:0,0]'

Where [plughw:0,0] has first the card number (0) and then the device
number (0).

Re: alsa troubles

ghe-2

On Oct 19, 2015, at 10:12 AM, <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What lets you think you need a package (or file) named alsa-lib?

>>> root@sbox:~# alsamixer
>>> ALSA lib dlmisc.c:254:(snd1_dlobj_cache_get) Cannot open shared library /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/alsa-lib/libasound_module_ctl_pulse.so
>>> cannot open mixer: No such device or address
>>
>> Going down that series of directories with 'ls <tab>', I don't seem to have alsa-lib. I looked on the web, and all I could find was source code for it. I doubt that compiling the code is required for such a (seemingly) common library.

That running alsamixer says it can't run because of the above error message, and that the directory /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/alsa-lib/ doesn't exist on my machine.

> There's no package alsa-lib;

That would certainly explain why I couldn't find it :-)

> apt-file (recommended) shows a couple of
> packages having directories with that name,

I didn't know about apt-file, but it does find alsa-lib (and the module alsamixer was looking for) -- in libasound2-plugins, so I installed it. Now:

> root@sbox:~# alsamixer
> ALSA lib pulse.c:243:(pulse_connect) PulseAudio: Unable to connect: Connection refused
>
> cannot open mixer: Connection refused

Do I need to do something about pulsaAudio? I think I've read that it's possible to deal with just alsa. No? (I haven't done any audio work on Debian since the Lenny days.)

--
Glenn English

Re: alsa troubles

ghe-2

On Oct 19, 2015, at 10:51 AM, Teemu Likonen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I would continue with "aplay -l". What does it say?

card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC888 Analog [ALC888 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: ALC888 Digital [ALC888 Digital]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

> Then you could try to put some music to that device:
>
>    $ mpv music.mp3 --ao=alsa:device='[plughw:0,0]'
>
> Where [plughw:0,0] has first the card number (0) and then the device
> number (0).

Thanks. I'll try that after breakfast :-)

--
Glenn English

Re: alsa troubles

Elimar Riesebieter
* [hidden email] <[hidden email]> [2015-10-19 18:12 +0200]:

> On Mon, Oct 19, 2015 at 10:32:38AM -0600, Glenn English wrote:
[...]

> > > root@sbox:~# alsamixer
> > > ALSA lib dlmisc.c:254:(snd1_dlobj_cache_get) Cannot open shared library /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/alsa-lib/libasound_module_ctl_pulse.so
> > > cannot open mixer: No such device or address
> >
> > Going down that series of directories with 'ls <tab>', I don't
> > seem to have alsa-lib. I looked on the web, and all I could find
> > was source code for it. I doubt that compiling the code is
> > required for such a (seemingly) common library.
> >
> > 'find / -iname "*alsa-lib*"' shows nothing anywhere.
>
> What lets you think you need a package (or file) named alsa-lib?

He is right!

> There's no package alsa-lib; apt-file (recommended) shows a couple of
> packages having directories with that name, and there's a virtual
> package called just "alsa" -- I guess this will be all you need?

$ apt-file search libasound_module_ctl_pulse.so
libasound2-plugins: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/alsa-lib/libasound_module_ctl_pulse.so

Elimar
--
 Obviously the human brain works like a computer.
  Since there are no stupid computers humans can't be stupid.
  There are just a few running with Windows or even CE ;-)

Re: alsa troubles

ghe-2

ghe@sbox:~/open_goldberg_variations_mp3_24_44$ sudo aplay -l
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC888 Analog [ALC888 Analog]
   Subdevices: 1/1
   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: ALC888 Digital [ALC888 Digital]
   Subdevices: 1/1
   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
   Subdevices: 1/1
   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

> Then you could try to put some music to that device:
>
>      $ mpv music.mp3 --ao=alsa:device='[plughw:0,0]'

Dud'n work:

ghe@sbox:... mpv
KIMIKO_ISHIZAKA-GoldbergVariations-BWV-988-01-Aria__44k-24b.mp3
--ao=alsa:device='[plughw:0,0]'
No command 'mpv' found, did you mean:
  Command 'mpd' from package 'mpd' (main)
  Command 'mpb' from package 'mpb' (main)
  Command 'mpc' from package 'mpc' (main)
  Command 'mmv' from package 'mmv' (main)
  Command 'mpmv' from package 'mpdtoys' (main)
  Command 'mev' from package 'gpm' (main)
  Command 'pv' from package 'pv' (main)
  Command 'mcv' from package 'scotch' (main)
  Command 'mv' from package 'coreutils' (main)
  Command 'mp' from package 'mp' (main)
mpv: command not found

I tried it as root and got just the

mpv: command not found

I did an 'apt-search mpv' and got hundreds of ...mpv and ...mpv... etc,
but no just plain mpv.

Glenn English

Re: alsa troubles

ghe-2
On 10/19/2015 02:04 PM, Elimar Riesebieter wrote:

> $ apt-file search libasound_module_ctl_pulse.so
> libasound2-plugins: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/alsa-lib/libasound_module_ctl_pulse.so

I did the same thing, got the same info, installed libasound2-plugins,
got the same response as myself and as root:

ghe@sbox:~... alsamixer

ghe@sbox:~... sudo alsamixer
ALSA lib pulse.c:243:(pulse_connect) Pulse Audio: Unable to connect:
Connection refused

cannot open mixer: Connection refused

Glenn English

Re: alsa troubles

Lisi Reisz
On Monday 19 October 2015 21:53:15 Glenn English wrote:

> On 10/19/2015 02:04 PM, Elimar Riesebieter wrote:
> > $ apt-file search libasound_module_ctl_pulse.so
> > libasound2-plugins:
> > /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/alsa-lib/libasound_module_ctl_pulse.so
>
> I did the same thing, got the same info, installed libasound2-plugins,
> got the same response as myself and as root:
>
> ghe@sbox:~... alsamixer
> ALSA lib pulse.c:243:(pulse_connect) Pulse Audio: Unable to connect:
> Connection refused
>
> cannot open mixer: Connection refused
> ghe@sbox:~... sudo alsamixer
> ALSA lib pulse.c:243:(pulse_connect) Pulse Audio: Unable to connect:
> Connection refused
>
> cannot open mixer: Connection refused

Since you appear to have Pulse Audio, why not use pavucontrol?

Lisi

Re: alsa troubles

ghe-2
On 10/19/2015 03:39 PM, Lisi Reisz wrote:

> Since you appear to have Pulse Audio,

I didn't know I did :-)

why not use pavucontrol?

It asked me to have my sysadmin install pavucontrol. So I did When I ran
it, and it said:

"Connection to PulseAudio failed..."

So maybe I really don't have PA? Or have I not configured something
properly?

Since I didn't think PA was on this machine, I haven't done any audio
configuration, alsa or Pulse.

Glenn English

Re: alsa troubles

Lisi Reisz
On Monday 19 October 2015 22:54:44 Glenn English wrote:

> On 10/19/2015 03:39 PM, Lisi Reisz wrote:
> > Since you appear to have Pulse Audio,
>
> I didn't know I did :-)
>
> why not use pavucontrol?
>
> It asked me to have my sysadmin install pavucontrol. So I did When I ran
> it, and it said:
>
> "Connection to PulseAudio failed..."
>
> So maybe I really don't have PA? Or have I not configured something
> properly?
>
> Since I didn't think PA was on this machine, I haven't done any audio
> configuration, alsa or Pulse.

Oh dear, it did say "unable to connect".  My mistake.

> ghe@sbox:~... alsamixer
> ALSA lib pulse.c:243:(pulse_connect) *
**Pulse Audio***: Unable to connect:
> Connection refused
>
> cannot open mixer: Connection refused
> ghe@sbox:~... sudo alsamixer
> ALSA lib pulse.c:243:(pulse_connect) ***Pulse Audio***: Unable to connect:
> Connection refused

I almost hardly dare say it, it is barely better than saying s*****d, but when
I have a problem with sound, I install Pulse Audio, install pavucontrol, and
have a look at what it says.  You do not have to be a sound engineer to
understand it.  I can rarely make head or tails of alsamixer.

Lisi

Re: alsa troubles

ghe-2
On 10/19/2015 04:04 PM, Lisi Reisz wrote:

> I almost hardly dare say it, it is barely better than saying s*****d, but when
> I have a problem with sound, I install Pulse Audio, install pavucontrol, and
> have a look at what it says.  You do not have to be a sound engineer to
> understand it.

I *am* a sound engineer. At least that's what I was before I switched to
computers. Last time I played with sound in Debian was back when alsa
was a shiny new thing.

I'll look into installing PulseAudio. pavucontrol did try to look nicer
that the curses alsamixer.

I can rarely make head or tails of alsamixer.

I'm having a hard time just getting it to beep at me.

Glenn English

Re: alsa troubles

ghe-2
On 10/19/2015 04:04 PM, Lisi Reisz wrote:

> I almost hardly dare say it, it is barely better than saying s*****d, but when
> I have a problem with sound, I install Pulse Audio, install pavucontrol, and
> have a look at what it says.

Done. pavucontrol makes a pretty picture on my screen, with lots of
buttons to click on and no complaints. I tried several that seemed
promising.

Still no sound. There are several 3.5mm jacks on the back of the
machine, one of which is supposed to be the headphone jack. I've plugged
into all of them, and get clicks in some of them, but no Goldbergs yet.

I'm using VLC to check on things. I tried mpv (suggested earlier in
another response), but it's still not installed, and I can't find it.

pavucontrol has, in its menus, several things mentioned in the
Supermicro manual for this machine, so it looks like there's some
interaction between pavucontrol and the motherboard. But it just won't
make any noise.

Glenn English

Re: alsa troubles

Lisi Reisz
On Monday 19 October 2015 23:41:38 Glenn English wrote:

> On 10/19/2015 04:04 PM, Lisi Reisz wrote:
> > I almost hardly dare say it, it is barely better than saying s*****d, but
> > when I have a problem with sound, I install Pulse Audio, install
> > pavucontrol, and have a look at what it says.
>
> Done. pavucontrol makes a pretty picture on my screen, with lots of
> buttons to click on and no complaints. I tried several that seemed
> promising.
>
> Still no sound. There are several 3.5mm jacks on the back of the
> machine, one of which is supposed to be the headphone jack. I've plugged
> into all of them, and get clicks in some of them, but no Goldbergs yet.
>
> I'm using VLC to check on things. I tried mpv (suggested earlier in
> another response), but it's still not installed, and I can't find it.
>
> pavucontrol has, in its menus, several things mentioned in the
> Supermicro manual for this machine, so it looks like there's some
> interaction between pavucontrol and the motherboard. But it just won't
> make any noise.

What does it say under hardware?  Is it looking at the right hardware?  Does
it say that it is plugged in and turned on?  Is it talking to the right sound
card?  Speakers?  Is everything unmuted?  Turned up?

Come on!  I am not a sound engineer, and so far I have always managed to get
pavucontrol to tell me eventually, somewhere, what the trouble is.

Lisi

Re: alsa troubles

Alex Moonshine-2
On Mon, 19 Oct 2015 16:12:21 -0600
Glenn English <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10/19/2015 04:04 PM, Lisi Reisz wrote:
>
> > I almost hardly dare say it, it is barely better than saying
> > s*****d, but when I have a problem with sound, I install Pulse
> > Audio, install pavucontrol, and have a look at what it says.  You
> > do not have to be a sound engineer to understand it.
>
> I'll look into installing PulseAudio. pavucontrol did try to look
> nicer that the curses alsamixer.
>
> I can rarely make head or tails of alsamixer.
>
> I'm having a hard time just getting it to beep at me.

I take the risk of provoking some PA-hatemail, but I
usually can't be bothered to configure alsa at all. It never works out
of the box for me on Debian (maybe it's my Creative Audigy SE that it
doesn't like), and even when I can make it, dmix
still refuses to work, making it so that only one application can play
sound at a time.

As for PA, I don't even know what config options for it look like, I
just install it and there's suddenly sound.

--
Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Best wishes,
Alex S.

Re: alsa troubles

ghe-2
On 10/19/2015 04:04 PM, Lisi Reisz wrote:

> I almost hardly dare say it, it is barely better than saying s*****d, but when
> I have a problem with sound, I install Pulse Audio, install pavucontrol, and
> have a look at what it says.

I hear something! It's not very loud, and it's from the wrong jack, but
there's a very quiet piano there. I turned on AC3 and MPEG in pavucontrol.

I'd sure like to know what I'm doing wrong, but I suspect that trial and
error will eventually get it done.

Thanks very much, all of you, for your help. I'm told that PulseAudio is
spawn of Satan, but it *is* working, at least a little bit.

Glenn English

Re: alsa troubles

Lisi Reisz
On Monday 19 October 2015 23:58:30 Glenn English wrote:
> On 10/19/2015 04:04 PM, Lisi Reisz wrote:
> > I almost hardly dare say it, it is barely better than saying s*****d, but
> > when I have a problem with sound, I install Pulse Audio, install
> > pavucontrol, and have a look at what it says.
>
> I hear something! It's not very loud, and it's from the wrong jack, but
> there's a very quiet piano there. I turned on AC3 and MPEG in pavucontrol.

Ah!  I had that earlier today.  V. faint on headphones.  Unplugged headphones,
used netbook's built-in speakers and I had sound.

> I'd sure like to know what I'm doing wrong, but I suspect that trial and
> error will eventually get it done.
>
> Thanks very much, all of you, for your help. I'm told that PulseAudio is
> spawn of Satan, but it *is* working, at least a little bit.

It does.  Satan has all the best tunes.*

Lisi
*
http://www.movements.net/2005/04/14/why-should-the-devil-have-all-the-best-tunes.html

Re: alsa troubles

ghe-2
On 10/19/2015 05:16 PM, Lisi Reisz wrote:

> Ah!  I had that earlier today.  V. faint on headphones.  Unplugged headphones,
> used netbook's built-in speakers and I had sound.

Fix: go to pavucontrol and turn up the volume. That worked for me :-)

The motherboard sounds about like I expected it to: awful. Do any of you
know off the top of your head how to get my RME Hammerfall card going on PA?

That's the card I used with alsa, and it was not at all a trivial job to
get it going. But, lordie, the sound! It's what digital audio is capable
of...

Glenn English

Re: alsa troubles

Teemu Likonen-2
Glenn English [2015-10-19 14:42:26-06] wrote:

>> Then you could try to put some music to that device:
>>
>>      $ mpv music.mp3 --ao=alsa:device='[plughw:0,0]'
>
> Dud'n work:
>
> ghe@sbox:... mpv
> KIMIKO_ISHIZAKA-GoldbergVariations-BWV-988-01-Aria__44k-24b.mp3
> --ao=alsa:device='[plughw:0,0]'
> No command 'mpv' found, did you mean:

    apt-get install mpv

The point here is that "aplay -l" finds different devices and we try to
put some sounds directly to those devices. There are higher-level tools
for configuring audio but low-level tests are pretty good starting
point and good for understanding basics.

> I did an 'apt-search mpv' and got hundreds of ...mpv and ...mpv...
> etc, but no just plain mpv.

Executable files are usually in /usr/bin, so:

    $ apt-file search /usr/bin/mpv
    mpv: /usr/bin/mpv

Meaning that package mpv has the file /usr/bin/mpv.

Re: alsa troubles

briand-3
On Tue, 20 Oct 2015 01:54:34 +0300
Alex Moonshine <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Oct 2015 16:12:21 -0600
> Glenn English <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On 10/19/2015 04:04 PM, Lisi Reisz wrote:
> >
> > > I almost hardly dare say it, it is barely better than saying
> > > s*****d, but when I have a problem with sound, I install Pulse
> > > Audio, install pavucontrol, and have a look at what it says.  You
> > > do not have to be a sound engineer to understand it.
> >
> > I'll look into installing PulseAudio. pavucontrol did try to look
> > nicer that the curses alsamixer.
> >
> > I can rarely make head or tails of alsamixer.
> >
> > I'm having a hard time just getting it to beep at me.
> >

> I take the risk of provoking some PA-hatemail, but I
> usually can't be bothered to configure alsa at all. It never works out
> of the box for me on Debian (maybe it's my Creative Audigy SE that it
> doesn't like), and even when I can make it, dmix
> still refuses to work, making it so that only one application can play
> sound at a time.

yep. i have that problem.

sound on linux is still kind of annoying.

Brian

12