apache2 install documentation and locales broken?

apache2 install documentation and locales broken?

Ed Young-2
It seems that the apache and apache installation has several problems.

I did a new install of Sarg (Debian 3.1r1) and chose as one of the install options a web server. It installed apache, apache2,etc and I added  apache-doc but it seems like the installation has problems. I'm unable to see the apache documentation and it seems to be favoring the German index.html.de files without actually displaying the html. It is only text.

The above is hard to explain so here is basically what happened:

When I tested the server by pointing my browser to http://localhost I got a 404. When I pointed it to http://localhost/apache2-default I got the apache default web page, but the link to "documentation" is broken. I screwed around with creating symlinks and whatnot, but in the end, all the index.html files in /usr/share/doc/apache2-doc/manual/ seem to have locale issues. All I see are the text files in the browser, and none are the english versions.

I seem to have several problems: apache is installed incorrectly and the documentation is broken and locales are broken.

Can anyone shed light on this. Do I need to reconfigure?

Thanks.

Re: apache2 install documentation and locales broken?

Simo Kauppi
On Wed, Feb 01, 2006 at 08:41:11PM -0700, Ed Young wrote:
> It seems that the apache and apache installation has several problems.
>
> I did a new install of Sarg (Debian 3.1r1) and chose as one of the install
> options a web server. It installed apache, apache2,etc and I added
> apache-doc but it seems like the installation has problems. I'm unable to
> see the apache documentation and it seems to be favoring the German
> index.html.de files without actually displaying the html. It is only text.

First of all, if you don't need both apache and apache2 installed,
choose one of them and purge the other one.

index.html.de needs the Content Negotiation on, so it shows as a html
file in your browser. You also need to set the preferred language in
your browser, so it chooses the language you prefer.

For apache2 the main configuration file is /etc/apache2/apache2.conf.
Read the apache documentation e.g. at http://www.apache.org/ how to
configure the languages and the negotiation, if they don't work out of
the box.

> Thanks.

Simo
--