apache2 missing a file, won't run.

Re: apache2 missing a file, won't run.

Ulf Volmer
On 06.05.19 22:06, Dan Ritter wrote:
> Ulf Volmer wrote:

>> There was already a reply from me. You have to explain why you have a
>> 2.2 apache config on a debian stretch system.
>
> That's easy: because the system was configured in wheezy or
> earlier, was upgraded to jessie and continued working, and was
> upgraded to stretch and stopped working.

In Jessie was also an apache 2.4 version.

Best regards
Ulf

Re: apache2 missing a file, won't run.

Gene Heskett-4
On Monday 06 May 2019 01:46:36 pm Dan Purgert wrote:

> Gene Heskett wrote:
> > [...]
> > Logged out no, started a new konsole and ran ff from it yes. Managed
> > to get the little b&w laser working, but a 2 year old 11x17 MFC?
> > Won't configure, missing file although the latest driver kit from
> > brother is installed, so I find I have a nearly $700
> > scanner/copier/printer thats been discontinued!  And they've blocked
> > or removed any access to the old files.  Thats generated a nastygram
> > to brother, its a 2 year old printer.
>
> Which printer was that? Don't forget that some of their printers
> require multiarch / i386 in order for the pre-processor to run
> properly.

Is that a lib/module I can install to a
4.9.0-9-rt-amd64 #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Debian 4.9.168-1
kernel?

Thanks Dan.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

On Monday 06 May 2019 03:16:08 pm Ulf Volmer wrote:

> On 06.05.19 20:10, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Sunday 05 May 2019 12:56:27 pm Gene Heskett wrote:
> >
> > I had other problems that overshadowed this, but much of that has
> > been resolved, so can we start over with this?
>
> There was already a reply from me. You have to explain why you have a
> 2.2 apache config on a debian stretch system.
>
> Best regards
> Ulf

Thats not at all difficult, the whole /var/www directory was copied over
from the wheezy 32 bit install.  The /etc/apache2 tree waas NOT copied,
but the evidences says otherwise. Same machine, new 2T drive. I think
some perms got blown away in copying from /opt to /opt, some of that
which for space reasons, lives in /opt from back when /var was a
separate partition.  So every time I ran it, I just nuked the module it
complained about.  So now the main page is working. I still need to go
fix the owner:group in some of its links.  You can now see it in the
link in the sig I hope. Yup, its running.

Thanks Ulf.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

On Monday 06 May 2019 04:06:43 pm Dan Ritter wrote:

> Ulf Volmer wrote:
> > On 06.05.19 20:10, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > > On Sunday 05 May 2019 12:56:27 pm Gene Heskett wrote:
> > >
> > > I had other problems that overshadowed this, but much of that has
> > > been resolved, so can we start over with this?
> >
> > There was already a reply from me. You have to explain why you have
> > a 2.2 apache config on a debian stretch system.
>
> That's easy: because the system was configured in wheezy or
> earlier, was upgraded to jessie and continued working, and was
> upgraded to stretch and stopped working.
>
> -dsr-

No jessie. New stretch install on a new drive, data all copied over from
the old drive. And data apparently included /etc/apache2 since I did
want to keep the .conf file there. There are some things in it that help
put it in a rights sandbox.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Re: apache2 missing a file, won't run.

Brian
On Mon 06 May 2019 at 17:29:01 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Monday 06 May 2019 04:06:43 pm Dan Ritter wrote:
>
> > Ulf Volmer wrote:

> > > There was already a reply from me. You have to explain why you have
> > > a 2.2 apache config on a debian stretch system.
> >
> > That's easy: because the system was configured in wheezy or
> > earlier, was upgraded to jessie and continued working, and was
> > upgraded to stretch and stopped working.
> >
> > -dsr-
>
> No jessie. New stretch install on a new drive, data all copied over from
> the old drive. And data apparently included /etc/apache2 since I did
> want to keep the .conf file there. There are some things in it that help
> put it in a rights sandbox.

Wholesale copying of data from one machine to another has caused trouble
for this user in the past. Some more documentation to criticise:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/trunk/en/upgrading.html

Brian.

Re: apache2 missing a file, won't run.

Dan Purgert

--
|_|O|_|

On Tuesday 07 May 2019 05:28:26 am Dan Purgert wrote:

> Gene Heskett wrote:
> >>
> >> Which printer was that? Don't forget that some of their printers
> >> require multiarch / i386 in order for the pre-processor to run
> >> properly.
> >
> > Is that a lib/module I can install to a
> > 4.9.0-9-rt-amd64 #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Debian 4.9.168-1
> > kernel?
>
> Multiarch?  It's a dpkg setting so that you can get packages for a
> different architecture (e.g. 32-bit "i386" packages on a 64-bit
> machine).
>
> You didn't answer which printer it was, though.

Brother MFC-J6920DW, it can handle up to 11x17 paper, handy when
processing "rockhopper's" output which can if magnified by inkscape far
enough to be readable, is then posterized and can occupy better than
half a sheet of 1/4 plywood.  And apparently cups has upped the anti,
needing a filter they name if you read the fine print in the error_log,
but which is not part of cups, or the last driver download from brother
that I pulled a fresh copy of less than a year ago. For 32 bit of
coarse.

The error log:
/usr/lib/cups/filter/brother_lpdwrapper_mfcj6920dw\" not available: No
such file or directory

What I have:
Is an installer that came with the last download. I had to chmod +x it to
run it, and its 95% legal BS as it contains 3 or 4 brother licenses in
addition to the usual gpl-v2 boiler plate, but I ran it and was amazed,
successfull, so now I have test prints from 2 profiles, and the test
page on photo paper looks better than it ever has. And after running it,
I have that missing file, but it was built, it does not exist in any of
the debs accompanying that download. So now maybe I have some color
control, which was previously ignored, giving me very pastel prints. But
I've about sucked the cyan tank dry, so I'd better get some ink before
messing with the color further. I haven't tried to setup a profile for
the rear feed slot taking 11x17 paper yet. I tried to make a feed tray
to keep the paper straighter, a huge improvement but wasn't 100%
successfull.

Yay! I don't have an expen$ive paperweight anymore. Woopee!

Thanks for reading, and I'll keep this in case someone else needs it. Now
to see if sane can find its scanner and ADF.

Thanks again.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

On Tue 07 May 2019 at 13:29:39 -0000, Dan Purgert wrote:

> Gene Heskett wrote:
> >>
> >> Multiarch?  It's a dpkg setting so that you can get packages for a
> >> different architecture (e.g. 32-bit "i386" packages on a 64-bit
> >> machine).
> >>
> >> You didn't answer which printer it was, though.
> >
> > Brother MFC-J6920DW, it can handle up to 11x17 paper, handy when
>
> According to the driver install notes [1] (step2), there are some prereq
> procedures[2].  Prereq (5) on that page is for Debian / Ubuntu 64-bit
> machines.
>
> NOTE -- I just grabbed the LPR *deb package (as I prefer LPR over cups).
> You can go through the tool here[3] to select the cupswrapper driver, if
> you prefer.

There is enough misinformation in Gene's post without adding more. :)
Both the LPR and the CUPSwrapper printer driver packages are required.
One contains a PPD and the other a driver for conversion to the specific
printer language.

> Some features may require that you've connected the printer via USB (I
> have a MFC-L8860CDW connected to the network that "loses" a lot of the
> "from the PC" functionality due to that).

MFC-L8860CDW? What features are missing from network connected device?

--
Brian.

Brian wrote:

> On Tue 07 May 2019 at 13:29:39 -0000, Dan Purgert wrote:

>> Gene Heskett wrote:

>> > Brother MFC-J6920DW, it can handle up to 11x17 paper, handy when
>>
>> According to the driver install notes [1] (step2), there are some prereq
>> procedures[2].  Prereq (5) on that page is for Debian / Ubuntu 64-bit
>> machines.
>>
>> NOTE -- I just grabbed the LPR *deb package (as I prefer LPR over cups).
>> You can go through the tool here[3] to select the cupswrapper driver, if
>> you prefer.
>
> There is enough misinformation in Gene's post without adding more. :)
> Both the LPR and the CUPSwrapper printer driver packages are required.
> One contains a PPD and the other a driver for conversion to the specific
> printer language.

I have never pulled in the CUPSwrapper driver, and have never had a
problem with the printer.

>> Some features may require that you've connected the printer via USB (I
>> have a MFC-L8860CDW connected to the network that "loses" a lot of the
>> "from the PC" functionality due to that).
>
> MFC-L8860CDW? What features are missing from network connected device?

Mainly the "pushbutton scan" and other fancy scanning options from the
"usb driver" -- I mean, I can walk over to the thing, and hit the "scan
to SFTP" button and get a PDF, but that's about the extent of my "scan
back to a PC" ability.  There are also a couple of "on the printer"
options that require a windows compter (although, thinking about it,
those may be more like "scan to SMB share").

But scan-to-pdf is perfectly acceptable for my scanning needs.

--
|_|O|_|

Re: apache2 missing a file, won't run.

mick crane
On 2019-05-07 19:40, Dan Purgert wrote:

> Mainly the "pushbutton scan" and other fancy scanning options from the
> "usb driver" -- I mean, I can walk over to the thing, and hit the "scan
> to SFTP" button and get a PDF, but that's about the extent of my "scan
> back to a PC" ability.  There are also a couple of "on the printer"
> options that require a windows compter (although, thinking about it,
> those may be more like "scan to SMB share").
>
> But scan-to-pdf is perfectly acceptable for my scanning needs.

I was having some trouble printing something from something or other a
while back and I forget exactly how but was suggested to use google
print or something that required you to give google access to your
printer.
Well I thought not.
This cloud stuff ( everything just works ) seems all very well but so
far I have managed to avoid it.

mick
Key ID    4BFEBB31

On Tue 07 May 2019 at 18:40:15 -0000, Dan Purgert wrote:

> > There is enough misinformation in Gene's post without adding more. :)
> > Both the LPR and the CUPSwrapper printer driver packages are required.
> > One contains a PPD and the other a driver for conversion to the specific
> > printer language.
>
> I have never pulled in the CUPSwrapper driver, and have never had a
> problem with the printer.

You have a PPD in /etc/cups/ppd for the printer. What do the

*NicKName

and

*cupsFilter

lines give when you look at the PPD.

> >> Some features may require that you've connected the printer via USB (I
> >> have a MFC-L8860CDW connected to the network that "loses" a lot of the
> >> "from the PC" functionality due to that).
> >
> > MFC-L8860CDW? What features are missing from network connected device?
> >
> Mainly the "pushbutton scan" and other fancy scanning options from the
> "usb driver" -- I mean, I can walk over to the thing, and hit the "scan
> to SFTP" button and get a PDF, but that's about the extent of my "scan
> back to a PC" ability.  There are also a couple of "on the printer"
> options that require a windows compter (although, thinking about it,
> those may be more like "scan to SMB share").
>
> But scan-to-pdf is perfectly acceptable for my scanning needs.

Thanks. Nothing to do with printing, of course.

Brian.

On Tue 07 May 2019 at 20:03:33 +0100, mick crane wrote:

> On 2019-05-07 19:40, Dan Purgert wrote:
>
> > Mainly the "pushbutton scan" and other fancy scanning options from the
> > "usb driver" -- I mean, I can walk over to the thing, and hit the "scan
> > to SFTP" button and get a PDF, but that's about the extent of my "scan
> > back to a PC" ability.  There are also a couple of "on the printer"
> > options that require a windows compter (although, thinking about it,
> > those may be more like "scan to SMB share").
> >
> > But scan-to-pdf is perfectly acceptable for my scanning needs.
>
> I was having some trouble printing something from something or other a while
> back and I forget exactly how but was suggested to use google print or
> something that required you to give google access to your printer.
> Well I thought not.
> This cloud stuff ( everything just works ) seems all very well but so far I
> have managed to avoid it.

That's enormously interesting, but does not relate to this thread.
Perhaps a new post would be indicted.

Brian.

On Tuesday 07 May 2019 02:40:15 pm Dan Purgert wrote:

> Brian wrote:

> >> According to the driver install notes [1] (step2), there are some
> >> prereq procedures[2].  Prereq (5) on that page is for Debian /
> >> Ubuntu 64-bit machines.
> >>
> >> NOTE -- I just grabbed the LPR *deb package (as I prefer LPR over
> >> cups). You can go through the tool here[3] to select the
> >> cupswrapper driver, if you prefer.
> >
> > There is enough misinformation in Gene's post without adding more.
> > :) Both the LPR and the CUPSwrapper printer driver packages are
> > required. One contains a PPD and the other a driver for conversion
> > to the specific printer language.
>
> I have never pulled in the CUPSwrapper driver, and have never had a
> problem with the printer.
>
> >> Some features may require that you've connected the printer via USB
> >> (I have a MFC-L8860CDW connected to the network that "loses" a lot
> >> of the "from the PC" functionality due to that).
> >
> > MFC-L8860CDW? What features are missing from network connected
> > device?
>
> Mainly the "pushbutton scan" and other fancy scanning options from the
> "usb driver" -- I mean, I can walk over to the thing, and hit the
> "scan to SFTP" button and get a PDF, but that's about the extent of my
> "scan back to a PC" ability.  There are also a couple of "on the
> printer" options that require a windows compter (although, thinking
> about it, those may be more like "scan to SMB share").
>
> But scan-to-pdf is perfectly acceptable for my scanning needs.

Or to a .jpeg, which generally satisfies my scanning needs. Or even a
huge tiff if I'm going to OCR it. But I've not had to do that often
enough its a habit, I have to learn how everytime. One of the hazards of
old wet ram. :(

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

On Wed 08 May 2019 at 18:00:01 -0000, Dan Purgert wrote:

> Brian wrote:
> >
> > You have a PPD in /etc/cups/ppd for the printer. What do the
>
> hm, nope.
>
>   $ ls /etc/cups/ppd
>   ls: cannot access '/etc/cups/ppd': No such file or directory

Very interesting; cups-core-drivers is designed to install this
directory:

  dpkg -L cups-core-drivers | grep ppd

A broken system?

I also downloaded mfcj6920dwlpr-3.0.0-1.i386.deb (that's for Gene's
printer) and installed it with dpkg -i on a 32-bit stretch system.
No CUPSwrapper printer driver installed. I am unable to install a
print queue with the CUPS web interface, system-config-printer or
lpadmin. Gene managed it - why cannot I? And your printer also works
without a problem? Very puzzled.

Brian.

Re: apache2 missing a file, won't run.

Dan Purgert