Quantcast

armhf toolchain is broken in the repository

armhf toolchain is broken in the repository

Patrik Kluba
Hi!

Both the 4.6 and 4.7 toolchains are broken for amd64 in the http://www.emdebian.org/debian/ repository for several days now. While the amd64 versions are at 4.6.3-8 and 4.7.1-3, the i386 versions got upgraded to 4.6.3-12 and 4.7.2-4. The problem is that when the i386 versions got merged, the older version of architecture independent packages got disappeared somehow. For example, there's no libstdc++6-4.6-dev-armhf-cross_4.6.3-8_all.deb just libstdc++6-4.6-dev-armhf-cross_4.6.3-12_all.deb

Will this be fixed sometime, or should I build the toolchain myself? And how it can be done? Will the

apt-get source ....
apt-get build-dep ....
dpkg-source -x ....
dpkg-buildpackage -B

way work?

Regards,
Patrik

Re: armhf toolchain is broken in the repository

Neil Williams-4
On Fri, 9 Nov 2012 22:40:52 -0800 (PST)
Patrik Kluba <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Both the 4.6 and 4.7 toolchains are broken for amd64 in the
> http://www.emdebian.org/debian/ repository for several days now. While the
> amd64 versions are at 4.6.3-8 and 4.7.1-3, the i386 versions got upgraded to
> 4.6.3-12 and 4.7.2-4. The problem is that when the i386 versions got merged,
> the older version of architecture independent packages got disappeared
> somehow. For example, there's no
> libstdc++6-4.6-dev-armhf-cross_4.6.3-8_all.deb just
> libstdc++6-4.6-dev-armhf-cross_4.6.3-12_all.deb

-cross packages need to be updated using xapt and then kept in line
from time to time. -cross packages are Architecture: all and this
won't change because the -cross method is outdated and needs to be
replaced by MultiArch.

xapt (1)

The exact command will vary according to which -cross packages are
causing issues. It's a constant maintenance which is why for other
architectures, the toolchains from squeeze are recommended because the
underlying native toolchains aren't constantly changing.

> Will this be fixed sometime

Possibly.

>, or should I build the toolchain myself? And how
> it can be done? Will the

Don't rebuild the toolchain, it's just the -cross dependencies.

(If the toolchain could be updated trivially, it would probably have
been done by now.)

> apt-get source ....
> apt-get build-dep ....
> dpkg-source -x ....
> dpkg-buildpackage -B
>
> way work?

No. Toolchains are more complex, which is why the rebuilds are not
automatically in sync.

--

Neil Williams
=============

Re: armhf toolchain is broken in the repository

Neil Williams-4
On Fri, 9 Nov 2012 22:40:52 -0800 (PST)
Patrik Kluba <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Both the 4.6 and 4.7 toolchains are broken for amd64 in the
> http://www.emdebian.org/debian/ repository for several days now. While the
> amd64 versions are at 4.6.3-8 and 4.7.1-3, the i386 versions got upgraded to
> 4.6.3-12 and 4.7.2-4. The problem is that when the i386 versions got merged,
> the older version of architecture independent packages got disappeared
> somehow. For example, there's no
> libstdc++6-4.6-dev-armhf-cross_4.6.3-8_all.deb just
> libstdc++6-4.6-dev-armhf-cross_4.6.3-12_all.deb

-cross packages need to be updated using xapt and then kept in line
from time to time. -cross packages are Architecture: all and this
won't change because the -cross method is outdated and needs to be
replaced by MultiArch.

xapt (1)

The exact command will vary according to which -cross packages are
causing issues. It's a constant maintenance which is why for other
architectures, the toolchains from squeeze are recommended because the
underlying native toolchains aren't constantly changing.

> Will this be fixed sometime

Possibly.

On Sat, Nov 10, 2012 at 12:17 PM, Neil Williams <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Fri, 9 Nov 2012 22:40:52 -0800 (PST)
Patrik Kluba <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Both the 4.6 and 4.7 toolchains are broken for amd64 in the
> http://www.emdebian.org/debian/ repository for several days now. While the
> amd64 versions are at 4.6.3-8 and 4.7.1-3, the i386 versions got upgraded to
> 4.6.3-12 and 4.7.2-4. The problem is that when the i386 versions got merged,
> the older version of architecture independent packages got disappeared
> somehow. For example, there's no
> libstdc++6-4.6-dev-armhf-cross_4.6.3-8_all.deb just
> libstdc++6-4.6-dev-armhf-cross_4.6.3-12_all.deb

-cross packages need to be updated using xapt and then kept in line
from time to time. -cross packages are Architecture: all and this
won't change because the -cross method is outdated and needs to be
replaced by MultiArch.

That does not work. xapt fails to find the package with the specified version (but it works with the latest version). I have tried to generate libstdc++6-4.7-armhf-cross_4.7.1-7_all.deb with it by doing:

xapt -a armhf -b -m libstdc++6=4.7.1-7

The response was:

E: Version '4.7.1-7' for 'libstdc++6' was not found

I have checked the Packages file fetched by xapt, and it indeed does not reference that version. However the armhf package can be downloaded from the repository.

http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/g/gcc-4.7/libstdc++6_4.7.1-7_armhf.deb

Maybe that's the cause the correct dependency is missing from the emdebian repository. I'm not very acquainted with the structure of the Packages file, can it reference multiple versions of a package? If not, the only fix could be getting the armhf toolchain in sync with the armel toolchain. Aren't they built at the same time?

By the way, following http://wiki.debian.org/BuildingCrossCompilers I have successfully built the latest 4.6 and 4.7 toolchains, and they compiled cleanly.

Regards,
Patrik

Re: armhf toolchain is broken in the repository

Neil Williams-4
On Sat, 10 Nov 2012 13:21:30 +0100
Patrik Kluba <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 10, 2012 at 12:17 PM, Neil Williams <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > the older version of architecture independent packages got disappeared
> > > somehow. For example, there's no
> > > libstdc++6-4.6-dev-armhf-cross_4.6.3-8_all.deb just
> > > libstdc++6-4.6-dev-armhf-cross_4.6.3-12_all.deb
> >
> > -cross packages need to be updated using xapt and then kept in line
> > from time to time. -cross packages are Architecture: all and this
> > won't change because the -cross method is outdated and needs to be
> > replaced by MultiArch.
> >

> That does not work.
In a clean wheezy chroot, it clearly does work. I've just reproduced it.

> xapt fails to find the package with the specified
> version (but it works with the latest version). I have tried to generate
> libstdc++6-4.7-armhf-cross_4.7.1-7_all.deb with it by doing:
>
> xapt -a armhf -b -m libstdc++6=4.7.1-7

http://packages.qa.debian.org/g/gcc-4.7.html

That's the version for testing.

In a fresh wheezy chroot, the correct command works just fine:

$ xapt -a armhf -b  -m libstdc++6

dpkg-deb: building package `libstdc++6-armhf-cross' in `./libstdc+
+6-armhf-cross_4.7.1-7_all.deb'.

There's no guarantee that xapt will work nicely with all of the apt
options but I've also tested the full command and that works too.

xapt -a armhf -b  -m libstdc++6=4.7.1-7

> The response was:
>
> E: Version '4.7.1-7' for 'libstdc++6' was not found

apt is very sensitive to extra apt sources like sid or multimedia or
private repos and / or PPA's. A clean source works just fine. apt also
doesn't tell you (or xapt) why it cannot work with your complete set of
sources, it just fails.

Pinning does not apply to xapt commands, apt refuses to handle
cross-architecture pinning unless done via MultiArch, not dpkg-cross.

> I have checked the Packages file fetched by xapt, and it indeed does not
> reference that version. However the armhf package can be downloaded from
> the repository.

Wheezy does contain that version and has done since 2012-09-05, if you
are using wheezy. If you are using sid, you need to specify the sid
version 4.7.2-4

--

Neil Williams
=============
http://www.linux.codehelp.co.uk/

Re: armhf toolchain is broken in the repository

Patrik Kluba

Wheezy does contain that version and has done since 2012-09-05, if you
are using wheezy. If you are using sid, you need to specify the sid
version 4.7.2-4

Yes, I'm on sid, and yes, that's exactly the problem, the 4.7.2-4.
libstdc++6-armhf-cross_4.7.2-4_all.deb depends on gcc-4.7-arm-linux-gnueabihf-base=4.7.2-4, which is not installable, as the repository has only 4.7.1-7 (at least for amd64, for i386 it's OK)

Regards,
Patrik

Re: armhf toolchain is broken in the repository

Neil Williams-4
On Sat, 10 Nov 2012 16:02:36 +0100
Patrik Kluba <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Wheezy does contain that version and has done since 2012-09-05, if you
> > are using wheezy. If you are using sid, you need to specify the sid
> > version 4.7.2-4
> >

> Yes, I'm on sid, and yes, that's exactly the problem, the 4.7.2-4.
> libstdc++6-armhf-cross_4.7.2-4_all.deb depends on
> gcc-4.7-arm-linux-gnueabihf-base=4.7.2-4, which is not installable, as the
> repository has only 4.7.1-7 (at least for amd64, for i386 it's OK)

gcc-4.7-arm-linux-gnueabi itself just isn't available at the same
version as gcc-4.7 in Debian sid.

That's just one of the things you have to accept when using the
combination of cross toolchains based on dpkg-cross and a constantly
changing unstable distribution. However, during a release freeze is the
one time when this is most easily solved, if someone has the time.

There is nothing in Debian to ensure that libstdc++6:armhf remains at
the same version as gcc-4.7:amd64 in sid - that's what sid is all
about. Testing, on the other hand, does provide that protection. Sadly,
there aren't suitable cross toolchains in emdebian wheezy currently
either. Most of the work is going into the next-generation toolchains
based on MultiArch and on mechanisms to get the cross toolchains built
inside Debian to avoid this problem in the future.

If you're interested in helping getting all the emdebian old-style cross
toolchains into good condition before the Wheezy release, there's some
work to do there - ask if you want access to do / help with the work.
It's probably enough to build all the cross toolchains for the versions
currently in Wheezy and make sure these remain installable until the
Debian Wheezy release.

I'll be doing the Emdebian Grip 3.0 wheezy-grip release alongside
Debian 7.0 (Wheezy) and I would normally release the toolchains at the
same time. I won't be able to do that as things stand and we'll be left
without installable toolchains for the next Debian stable release.

--

Neil Williams
=============
http://www.linux.codehelp.co.uk/

Re: armhf toolchain is broken in the repository

Gilles Filippini-2
Neil Williams a écrit , Le 10/11/2012 16:39:
> If you're interested in helping getting all the emdebian old-style cross
> toolchains into good condition before the Wheezy release, there's some
> work to do there - ask if you want access to do / help with the work.
> It's probably enough to build all the cross toolchains for the versions
> currently in Wheezy and make sure these remain installable until the
> Debian Wheezy release.

Hi Neil,

I'd like to help with this work, to ensure proper wheezy cross
toolchains for qtmoko.

I've already built missing armhf toolchain bits for gcc 4.7.2-4 on amd64
[1].

[1] <http://pini.free.fr/debian/pool/main/g/gcc-4.7/>

Could you provide me with the needed information?

Many thanks in advance,

_g.

Re: armhf toolchain is broken in the repository

Hector Oron

2012/11/10 Patrik Kluba <[hidden email]>:

> Both the 4.6 and 4.7 toolchains are broken for amd64 in the
> http://www.emdebian.org/debian/ repository for several days now. While the
> amd64 versions are at 4.6.3-8 and 4.7.1-3, the i386 versions got upgraded to
> 4.6.3-12 and 4.7.2-4. The problem is that when the i386 versions got merged,
> the older version of architecture independent packages got disappeared
> somehow. For example, there's no
> libstdc++6-4.6-dev-armhf-cross_4.6.3-8_all.deb just
> libstdc++6-4.6-dev-armhf-cross_4.6.3-12_all.deb
>
> Will this be fixed sometime, or should I build the toolchain myself? And how
> it can be done? Will the

Could you please try again? It should be fixed already.

regards
--
 Héctor Orón  -.. . -... .. .- -.   -.. . ...- . .-.. --- .--. . .-.

Re: armhf toolchain is broken in the repository

Hector Oron
Hi,

2012/11/13 Hector Oron <[hidden email]>:
> 2012/11/10 Patrik Kluba <[hidden email]>:

>> Will this be fixed sometime, or should I build the toolchain myself? And how
>> it can be done? Will the

> Could you please try again? It should be fixed already.

I have spoken too soon, it should be fixed in about an hour.

regards
--