backup on DVD

Jon Miller-5
Does anyone know of any script that can backup to a DVD media?  What I want to do is run a nightly backup of certain samba shares data M-F and rotate the disk either daily or weekly on the server.  Furthermore, if possible have the backup report the amount of space used in an e-mail sent to the backup operator.

Thanks

Jon L. Miller,  ASE, CNS, CLS, MCNE, CCNA
Director/Sr Systems Consultant
MMT Networks Pty Ltd
http://www.mmtnetworks.com.au
Resellers for: Novell Gold Partner, Cisco Partner, Peopletelecom, Westnet, Sophos Anti-Virus, CA Products

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure
 is trying to please everybody." -Bill Cosby

TEXT.htm (1K) Download Attachment

Re: backup on DVD

Jan Schledermann
Jon  Miller wrote:

> Does anyone know of any script that can backup to a DVD media?  What I
> want to do is run a nightly backup of certain samba shares data M-F and
> rotate the disk either daily or weekly on the server.  Furthermore, if
> possible have the backup report the amount of space used in an e-mail sent
> to the backup operator.
>
> Thanks
>

> Jon L. Miller,  ASE, CNS, CLS, MCNE, CCNA
> Director/Sr Systems Consultant
> MMT Networks Pty Ltd
> http://www.mmtnetworks.com.au
> Resellers for: Novell Gold Partner, Cisco Partner, Peopletelecom, Westnet,
> Sophos Anti-Virus, CA Products
>
> "I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure
>  is trying to please everybody." -Bill Cosby

I don't think that you'll find a standard script that will cover all your
specific needs. Writing a small script to do what you need will probably be
faster than customizing an existing script.
You may want to check out dvdrtools, dvd+rw-tools as well as mkisofs.

As I have sufficient disk space for my backups (hundreds of gigs are only
$100 away these days), I use rsync to build a directory structure with all
the data to be backed up on a spare disk, and then plonk that structure on
a DVD RW every night. Redirecting / appending all output to a logfile
together with a du -k on the backup structure is trivial. Emailing that
logfile is a one-liner.
The benefit of rsync is that you can backup to a backup structure in- /
decrementally, which will save you a lot of time / network traffic.

Have fun
Jan
--
** Do not use the reply-to address. It'll end up in the trash can
** Mail me at: janATschledermann.or"REMOVE_THIS"g

Re: backup on DVD

Wackojacko
Jon Miller wrote:
> Does anyone know of any script that can backup to a DVD media?  What I want to do is run a nightly backup of certain samba shares data M-F and rotate the disk either daily or weekly on the server.  Furthermore, if possible have the backup report the amount of space used in an e-mail sent to the backup operator.
>
> Thanks

I use backup2l to back up my home desktop onto dvd-ram daily.  It uses
incremental backups and if run with cron e-mails the summary to you when
done.  The summary includes details of space used on the disk.

I am sure there are a million other ways to do this but it suits my
purpose. YMMV

HTH

Wackojacko

Re: backup on DVD

Bill Thompson
On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 17:44:21 +0800
"Jon  Miller" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Does anyone know of any script that can backup to a DVD media?  What
> I want to do is run a nightly backup of certain samba shares data M-F
> and rotate the disk either daily or weekly on the server.
> Furthermore, if possible have the backup report the amount of space
> used in an e-mail sent to the backup operator.
>
> Thanks

I use DAR with a script called DARomizer to backup my system to DVD-RW.
It's really designed to span a backup over several DVDs, so it may be
more than you need, but it's worth taking a look at.

DAR:
http://dar.linux.free.fr/
DARomizer:
http://www.catherders.com/tiki-list_file_gallery.php?galleryId=1