bad experience with Gnome 3.8 on kFreeBSD

bad experience with Gnome 3.8 on kFreeBSD

Bruno Melo
Hi,
I have kFreeBSD jessie here and I have installed the last gnome 3.8 packages for transition from sid and I came here to report my bad experience:
1- Alt+Tab doesn't work.
2-GDM unusable (using LightDM now)
3- Wallpaper doesn't appear, just a black screen.
4- Empathy and Epiphany don't show anything. Empathy doesn't show the conversation and Epiphany the websites.
5- The multimedia apps also have problems.
6- Gnome Shell obviously can't run because kFreeBSD have not 3D acceleration.
I recommend to you install kFreeBSD and test for themselves to see what I'm talking about. It's almost unusable :/
Thanks

Re: bad experience with Gnome 3.8 on kFreeBSD

YunQiang Su
On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 9:08 AM, Bruno Melo <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
> I have kFreeBSD jessie here and I have installed the last gnome 3.8 packages
gnome 3.8 depends on systemd, which doesn't support FreeBSD.
> for transition from sid and I came here to report my bad experience:
The current version of gnome-settings-daemon in sid is still 3.4, while
when it becomes 3.8, it will depends on systemd.

Use other desktop environment instead.

--
YunQiang Su

Re: bad experience with Gnome 3.8 on kFreeBSD

Robert Millan-7
On 18/10/2013 03:08, Bruno Melo wrote:
> 6- Gnome Shell obviously can't run because kFreeBSD have not 3D
> acceleration.

That's not correct. kFreeBSD provides 3D acceleration and we even have
confirmation of developers using it (e.g. Christoph).

--
Robert Millan

Re: bad experience with Gnome 3.8 on kFreeBSD

Michael Biebl-3
Am 18.10.2013 03:08, schrieb Bruno Melo:
> Hi,
> I have kFreeBSD jessie here and I have installed the last gnome 3.8
> packages for transition from sid and I came here to report my bad
> experience:
> 1- Alt+Tab doesn't work.

(media) key handling, specifically the key grabbing, has been moved into
GNOME shell (previously it was a mix of gnome-settings-daemon and
gnome-shell, which was a huge mess).
This does affect the flashback (formerly known as fallback) mode, also
on Linux.

> 2-GDM unusable (using LightDM now)

GDM relies on GNOME Shell now, so you need working 3D support. Not
necessarily hardware accelerated, llvmpipe works too, but I don't know
the state of llvmpipe on kfreebsd.
For i386/amd64 at least llvmpipe works okayish (tested in a VM).

> 3- Wallpaper doesn't appear, just a black screen.

Also a flashback mode issue (which also affects Linux). Desktop
background drawing has been removed from nautilus and moved into GNOME
shell.

> 4- Empathy and Epiphany don't show anything. Empathy doesn't show the
> conversation and Epiphany the websites.

Not sure about this one.

> 5- The multimedia apps also have problems.

The multimedia apps require clutter, so this might be same problem as 2/

> 6- Gnome Shell obviously can't run because kFreeBSD have not 3D
> acceleration.

I don't know the state of 3D (hardware accelerated or llvmpipe) on
kfreebsd. Would be great if someone more knowledgeable would provide
more insight.

> I recommend to you install kFreeBSD and test for themselves to see what I'm
> talking about. It's almost unusable :/

The bad experience you encouter looks to a big part due to the bad state
the flashback/fallback mode is currently in. And unfortunately I only
see it get worse over time unless someone steps up to help
maintain/develop it.
As for GNOME Shell / GDM not running on kfreebsd: We'd love to see
kfreebsd users/porters/developer investigate that.

None of us Debian GNOME maintainers use kfreebsd, so we rely on
fixes/patches from others.

Michael

universe are pointed away from Earth?

Am 18.10.2013 10:43, schrieb Robert Millan:
> On 18/10/2013 03:08, Bruno Melo wrote:
>> 6- Gnome Shell obviously can't run because kFreeBSD have not 3D
>> acceleration.
>
> That's not correct. kFreeBSD provides 3D acceleration and we even have
> confirmation of developers using it (e.g. Christoph).

If Christoph has working 3D support on his kfreebsd system, could he
install gnome-core (from sid) and test which bits work and which don't?

So far, the only feedback the Debian GNOME team has from kfreebsd users
(admittedly only 1 or 2 so far) is that GNOME Shell does *not* run on
kfreebsd.

Michael

universe are pointed away from Earth?

Re: bad experience with Gnome 3.8 on kFreeBSD

Bruno Melo
now, everything make sense.
so, what we really need is 3D acceleration running fine. I have hybrid cards and 3D acceleration not working here.