baloo in unstable: uses an insane amount of memory (RSS/PSS) and writes a *ton* of data while indexing

baloo in unstable: uses an insane amount of memory (RSS/PSS) and writes a *ton* of data while indexing

Martin Steigerwald
Hi!

Anyone else has this? This only happened after a recent update,
initially with KF 5.54 I believe it managed to complete a full index
update within too many issues. But… in an update after that it went
bonkers.

Baloo has never been all that resource friendly, but this is actually
crossing a line. I never saw it using resources like this so far:

Bug 404057 - Uses an insane amount of memory (RSS/PSS) and writes a
*ton* of data while indexing
https://bugs.kde.org/404057

8, in words: eight, GiB of RSS/PSS (not VSZ).

This is way beyond anything what makes sense.

I stopped it again in order to actually use this laptop.

I for sure would keep the default having having Baloo *disabled* within
Debian.

Martin

Re: baloo in unstable: uses an insane amount of memory (RSS/PSS) and writes a *ton* of data while indexing

inkbottle
On Thursday, February 7, 2019 12:56:54 PM CET Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Anyone else has this? This only happened after a recent update,
> initially with KF 5.54 I believe it managed to complete a full index
> update within too many issues. But… in an update after that it went
> bonkers.

Yes, went bonkers. Had to disable it altogether. Computer was just not
responding anymore. First time that happens for years.

[Wednesday, January 30, 2019] [12:00:07 AM CET] <inkbottle> baloo_file_extr is
hogging my cpu; this hasn't happened for months

So, it happened to me like a week ago. Might be unrelated.