baycomepp and baycomusb possible removal unless help forthcoming

baycomepp and baycomusb possible removal unless help forthcoming

Colin Tuckley-2
These two packages are very old and apparently have very few users, they
also have FTBFS with GCC-5 bugs filed against them (#777796 and #777795).

The upstream site has completely gone (at least I haven't been able to
find one).

I have spent several hours today trying to get baycomepp to build with
modern packaging and have now given up. The package does build with it's
original packaging although with a fair number of Lintian warnings.

I then started looking at the actual FTBFS problem, this is very messy
and time consuming.

We also have the problem that testing the package without the actual
hardware is pretty much impossible.

So, unless someone who is interested in these packages (and has the
hardware) comes forward and offers to work on them and fix the bugs in a
reasonable time-scale I think we have no choice but to remove them from
Debian as un-maintainable.

Colin

--
Colin Tuckley      |  +44(0)1223 830814  |  PGP/GnuPG Key Id
Debian Developer   |  +44(0)7799 143369  |     0x38C9D903

Re: baycomepp and baycomusb possible removal unless help forthcoming

David A Aitcheson
Colin,

This software is more suited for older hardware and was written to take advantage of home brewed modems such as those found at http://www.qsl.net/sv1bsx/Baycom/baycom.html  and  http://www.radanpro.com/Radan2400/PC/BAYCOM PACKET.htm

If anyone is using them I would hazard a guess that they are running an older OS and not the latest bleeding edge OS incarnation. Plus the software is available on several support sites.

_IF_ I were to run it I would be running it on a DOS box anyways as it is best suited for remote termiinal application over a slow ascii data connection via packet radio.

BTW you can get the hardware commercially at   http://www.tigertronics.com/baymodem.htm

73
Dave
KB3EFS

On 05/11/2015 12:25 PM, Colin Tuckley wrote:
[...]

John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
On 05/11/2015 11:56 PM, David A Aitcheson wrote:
> If anyone is using them I would hazard a guess that they are running an
> older OS and not the latest bleeding edge OS incarnation. Plus the
> software is available on several support sites.

An older OS on a publicly accessible machine? I think it's rather a
better idea to fix the compile errors and warnings.

I checked the build logs and those seem to be mostly issues with
outdated include paths and host compiler definitions, definitely
fixable. I might look into it later this week.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz

Re: baycomepp and baycomusb possible removal unless help forthcoming

Colin Tuckley
On 11/05/15 22:56, David A Aitcheson wrote:

> This software is more suited for older hardware and was written to take
> advantage of home brewed modems

Err... No, this is the software for the FPGA based modem designed by
Thomas Sailer.

Colin

--
Colin Tuckley      |  +44(0)1223 830814  |  PGP/GnuPG Key Id
Debian Developer   |  +44(0)7799 143369  |     0x38C9D903

Wisdom is knowing what to do with what you know.

Re: baycomepp and baycomusb possible removal unless help forthcoming

Colin Tuckley-2

> I checked the build logs and those seem to be mostly issues with
> outdated include paths and host compiler definitions, definitely
> fixable. I might look into it later this week.

Thanks for the offer Adrian, but I worked out what I was doing wrong and
have managed to get it building. It's not clean but I think I've fixed
it enough that it will now build with GCC-5.

As well as the actual build being messy the packaging is ancient so it
will be a bit longer before I have an upload ready.

73, Colin

On 05/12/2015 10:01 AM, Colin Tuckley wrote:
> As well as the actual build being messy the packaging is ancient so it
> will be a bit longer before I have an upload ready.

Why not start the packaging from scratch then? It can be much
easier if you just start over in these cases :).

Let me know if you need some help with testing etc.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz