best CMS system

linux china
hi,
what's the best enterprise class content management system(CMS)?

Re: best CMS system

Roberto C. Sanchez
linux china wrote:
> hi,
> what's the best enterprise class content management system(CMS)?

Whichever one best meets your enterprises requirements.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez
http://familiasanchez.net/~roberto

Re: best CMS system

Alvin Oga

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:

> linux china wrote:
> > hi,
> > what's the best enterprise class content management system(CMS)?
>
> Whichever one best meets your enterprises requirements.

more precisely, the best is the one "the company" wrote for
it's use to work with all of its various corporate company
data and info

people ( employee/managers ) come and go and usually the interface to
the corp database and to the corp's customers and corp's vendors does
NOT change and will probably NOT change anytime soon so you
ahve to bend over to make your corp environement work with
all the
vendors/suppliers/customers/secretaries/marketing/inventory/qa/accting/etc
you have to deal with

"they" tell *you* what cms you will be using .. like it or not
and based on your $1.oo or $100 or $1,000 or $100,000 or $1,000,000
or more cms budget for software ... add the sharks ( managers ) on top of
those costs

usually all you get to do is "user" interface ..
        - make pretty pictures for the marketing folks
        - make nice spreadsheets for the bean counters
        - make a printout for shipping to customers
        - make boo-boo corrections for somebody

        - make backups so the company doesn't go up in flames because
        somebody decided to buy an off-the-shelf pc or sw pkg
        or a custom inhouse thingie-ma-jig

        - and in a few days, monthys, years, somebody else is
        doing the same thing you did years ago

c ya
alvin

Re: best CMS system

Paul Johnson
On Tuesday 21 March 2006 18:13, linux china wrote:
> hi,
> what's the best enterprise class content management system(CMS)?

hi,
what's the best computer out there?  (Yes, your question is that vague).

--
Paul Johnson
Email and IM (XMPP & Google Talk): [hidden email]

RE: best CMS system

David Christensen
> what's the best enterprise class content management system(CMS)?

I've been beating my head against that one for a couple of years now, and still
don't know the answer.  (Must be brain damage...  ;-)

This web site is very helpful:

    http://www.cmsmatrix.org/

It has a search page:

    http://www.cmsmatrix.org/matrix/cms-matrix?func=search

An issue I've run into with CMS's is that getting all the right packages
installed and configured correctly is a non-trivial undertaking.  Some CMS
vendors/projects try to ease the pain; Fedora and Red Hat Enterprise Linux (?)
seem to be better supported than Debian.  Apt offers some possibilities for
Debian, and some projects offer their own Apt packages:

$ apt-cache search content management
axyl - The Axyl web development platform
axyl-doc - The Axyl documentation
axyl-lucene - The Axyl Luceneserver
bamboo - website creation tool with wiki-like features
dacode - Powerful and full-featured news engine written in PHP
debian-el - Emacs helpers specific to Debian users
diogenes - web content management system
egroupware-jinn - content management system for eGroupWare
egroupware-sitemgr - eGroupWare site manager application
ezpublish-src - CMS for e-commerce, e-publishing and intranets
ipmitool - utility for IPMI control with kernel driver or LAN interface
kgpg - GnuPG frontend for KDE
lg-issue73 - Issue 73 of the Linux Gazette.
libmkdoc-xml-perl - MKDoc XML Toolkit
libmrml0 - Multimedia Retrieval Markup Language
libmrml0-dev - libmrml development files
libphp-diogenes - library for web site creation
libroxen-ecms - Simple content management module for the Roxen Challenger web se
rver
med-cms - Debian-Med content management systems
plone - content management system based on zope and cmf
postgresql-contrib - additional facilities for PostgreSQL
scoop - Web-based collaborative media application
scoop-doc - Documentation for scoop
sleuthkit - Tools for forensics analysis
unionfs-utils - stackable unification file system - management tools
xbase-clients - miscellaneous X clients
zope-btreefolder2 - Zope folder that can efficiently contain many objects
zope-cmf - Zope Content Management Framework (CMF)
zope-cmf1.4 - zope content management framework (CMF), 1.4 branch
zope-cmfactionicons - Actions and icons add-on for Zope Content Management Frame
work
zope-cmfcalendar - Zope CMF Calendar
zope-cmfcalendar1.4 - zope cmf calendar, 1.4 branch
zope-cmfcore - Zope CMF Core services
zope-cmfcore1.4 - zope cmf core services, 1.4 branch
zope-cmfdefault - Zope CMF Default (basic) content
zope-cmfdefault1.4 - zope cmf default (basic) content, 1.4 branch
zope-cmfforum - forum module for zope content management framework
zope-cmfphoto - photo module for zope content management framework
zope-cmfphotoalbum - photo album module for zope content management framework
zope-cmfplone - content management system based on zope and cmf
zope-cmftopic - Zope CMF Topic
zope-cmftopic1.4 - zope cmf topic, 1.4 branch
zope-cmfworkflow - Zope CMF workflow module
zope-lockablefolder - variant of the standard Folder that can restrict access to
 its contents
zope-ttwtype - Enables portal administrators to create new content types
zope-zms - Content management for science, technology and medicine
zope-zpatterns - Database Independence and Framework Integration for Zope
drupal - fully-featured content management/discussion engine

HTH,

David

Re: best CMS system

Nebodi Gatreba
David Christensen wrote:
what's the best enterprise class content management system(CMS)?

I've been beating my head against that one for a couple of years now, and still
don't know the answer.  (Must be brain damage...  ;-)

[sic]
I've been doing the same :-)
As I'm curently banging my head against Typo3 (www.typo3.com), I would like to point you to this CMS, as it claims to be an enterprise level CMS.
I don't say that it is the best (look at the reasoning oder people gave you), but it is very complex, with very very steep learning curve. The only reason I still insist of making my first web-page with Typo3 is the possibilities of it's use I discover with each new thing I learn.
-- To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email] with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Re: best CMS system

Salman-3
> what's the best enterprise class content management system(CMS)?
Check also http://opensourcecms.com/ . it is a great site where you can actually test many installed cms system to compare.

Knowledge is Power