best way to correct (possibly) outdated information on wiki.debian.org

best way to correct (possibly) outdated information on wiki.debian.org

Andrea Borgia
Hi.

With respect to https://wiki.debian.org/SSDOptimization I see there is a
minor issue with the weekly trim suggestion: in the current testing
branch, those files are not present under
/usr/share/doc/util-linux/examples/

I did file a bugreport on the util-linux package
(https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=916733) but now I am
not so sure this was the best option, since I've noticed the files are
under /lib/systemd and fstrim is correctly scheduled (according to
systemctl)

Should I just ask to close the bugreport and that's it?
(safest option, but leaves outdated info in place)

Should I file a new bug against wiki.debian.org?
(this seems overkill)

Should I try to edit the page myself to add a footnote?
(can I do that at all?)

Thanks,
Andrea.

Re: best way to correct (possibly) outdated information on wiki.debian.org

Roberto C. Sánchez-2
Hi Andrea,

On Sun, Dec 30, 2018 at 03:44:00PM +0100, Andrea Borgia wrote:

> Hi.
>
> With respect to https://wiki.debian.org/SSDOptimization I see there is a
> minor issue with the weekly trim suggestion: in the current testing branch,
> those files are not present under /usr/share/doc/util-linux/examples/
>
> I did file a bugreport on the util-linux package
> (https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=916733) but now I am not
> so sure this was the best option, since I've noticed the files are under
> /lib/systemd and fstrim is correctly scheduled (according to systemctl)
>
> Should I just ask to close the bugreport and that's it?
> (safest option, but leaves outdated info in place)
>
> Should I file a new bug against wiki.debian.org?
> (this seems overkill)
>
> Should I try to edit the page myself to add a footnote?
> (can I do that at all?)

I would leave the bug report open.  If it is a problem, the maintainer
may add the example back to the package.  If it was removed by upstream
or there was some other intentional reason for the removal, he is likely
to comment on it and close the report.

You can edit the wiki page yourself.  I believe that you must register
for an account to do so.

If you know with what version of the package the examples disappeared,
it would make sense to me to update the wiki page with that information.
Something like:

  To do such and such, refer to such and such example.  As of util-linux
  version 1.2.3.4.5.6-7 this example is no longer provided.  An
  alternate approach is blah blah blah.  Or refer to an older version of
  the package for the referenced example.

Anyhow, you get the idea.

If you encounter trouble registering for an account on the wiki or
editing the page, mail me directly and I will help you locate a wiki
administrator who can assist you.

Regards,

-Roberto
Roberto C. Sánchez

Il 30/12/18 15:48, Roberto C. Sánchez ha scritto:

> I would leave the bug report open.  If it is a problem, the maintainer
> may add the example back to the package.  If it was removed by upstream
> or there was some other intentional reason for the removal, he is likely
> to comment on it and close the report.

There is an extremely minor difference between the old example and the
current service definition: the former had "fstrim -av" (all fs) and the
latter has "fstrim -Av" (fstab only). Might be relevant, might be not.

>    To do such and such, refer to such and such example.  As of util-linux
>    version 1.2.3.4.5.6-7 this example is no longer provided.  An
>    alternate approach is blah blah blah.  Or refer to an older version of
>    the package for the referenced example.
>
> Anyhow, you get the idea.

Unfortunately, I have no clue precisely when the change happened since
the system was upgraded from stable to testing to support the new Ryzen CPU.

Anyhow, I do get the idea: once I'm registered logged in, I'll try to be
as specific as possible.

Andrea.

Re: best way to correct (possibly) outdated information on wiki.debian.org

Brian
On Sun 30 Dec 2018 at 16:02:17 +0100, Andrea Borgia wrote:

> Il 30/12/18 15:48, Roberto C. Sánchez ha scritto:
>

> > I would leave the bug report open.  If it is a problem, the maintainer
> > may add the example back to the package.  If it was removed by upstream
> > or there was some other intentional reason for the removal, he is likely
> > to comment on it and close the report.
>
> There is an extremely minor difference between the old example and the
> current service definition: the former had "fstrim -av" (all fs) and the
> latter has "fstrim -Av" (fstab only). Might be relevant, might be not.

There is probably no need for an example file now that #889668 is closed.
Incidentally - you opened the report, so you can close it; especially if
you think it will save someone some work.

> >    To do such and such, refer to such and such example.  As of util-linux
> >    version 1.2.3.4.5.6-7 this example is no longer provided.  An
> >    alternate approach is blah blah blah.  Or refer to an older version of
> >    the package for the referenced example.
> >
> > Anyhow, you get the idea.
>
> Unfortunately, I have no clue precisely when the change happened since the
> system was upgraded from stable to testing to support the new Ryzen CPU.

>From the changelog:

util-linux (2.31.1-0.3) unstable; urgency=medium

  * Non-maintainer upload.
  * Install fstrim.timer and fstrim.service without enabling it by default
    (for now), see discussion in #732054 (Closes: #889668)

 -- Laurent Bigonville <[hidden email]>  Wed, 14 Feb 2018 10:32:51 +0100

> Anyhow, I do get the idea: once I'm registered logged in, I'll try to be as
> specific as possible.

>From the wiki:

 > sudo cp /usr/share/doc/util-linux/examples/fstrim.{service,timer} /etc/systemd/system

Adding:

   Not needed on buster because......

would look to fit the bill.

Brian.

Il 30/12/18 16:23, Brian ha scritto:

> There is probably no need for an example file now that #889668 is closed.
> Incidentally - you opened the report, so you can close it; especially if
> you think it will save someone some work.

Yes, that was my goal.

I sent the following text to [hidden email]

-x-x-x-
Control: close -1
quit

The examples are probably not needed anymore, now that the files are
installed by default under /lib/systemd (see bug #732054 and #889668).
-x-x-x-

I got this reply:
-x-x-x-
Failed to mark 916733 as done: The 'request_subject' parameter (undef)
to Debbugs::Control::set_done was an 'undef', which is not one of the
allowed types: scalar
-x-x-x-
(the text has been recorded, however)

Should I write to [hidden email], perhaps?

Noted, thanks.

On Sun 30 Dec 2018 at 16:54:19 +0100, Andrea Borgia wrote:

> Il 30/12/18 16:23, Brian ha scritto:
>

> > There is probably no need for an example file now that #889668 is closed.
> > Incidentally - you opened the report, so you can close it; especially if
> > you think it will save someone some work.
>
> Yes, that was my goal.
>

> I sent the following text to [hidden email]
>
> -x-x-x-
> Control: close -1
> quit
>
> The examples are probably not needed anymore, now that the files are
> installed by default under /lib/systemd (see bug #732054 and #889668).
> -x-x-x-
>

> I got this reply:
> -x-x-x-
> Failed to mark 916733 as done: The 'request_subject' parameter (undef) to
> Debbugs::Control::set_done was an 'undef', which is not one of the allowed
> types: scalar
> -x-x-x-
> (the text has been recorded, however)

I am unfamiliar with the bts (?) method so cannot offer advice.

> Should I write to [hidden email], perhaps?

This is the what I normally use.

Brian.

Il 30/12/18 17:09, Brian ha scritto:

> I am unfamiliar with the bts (?) method so cannot offer advice.

I suspect the isse was the empty subject line but that error message was
a hell of a convoluted way to say so :)

>> Should I write to [hidden email], perhaps?
> This is the what I normally use.

This worked, thanks.

Re: best way to correct (possibly) outdated information on wiki.debian.org

andreimpopescu
On Du, 30 dec 18, 17:30:24, Andrea Borgia wrote:
> Il 30/12/18 17:09, Brian ha scritto:
>

> > I am unfamiliar with the bts (?) method so cannot offer advice.
>
> I suspect the isse was the empty subject line but that error message was
> a hell of a convoluted way to say so :)

Just for the archives, the 'close' command was deprecated, IIUC because
it was too easy to close a bug without providing any reason.

Kind regards,
Andrei

On Sat 18 May 2019 at 20:22:54 +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:

> On Du, 30 dec 18, 17:30:24, Andrea Borgia wrote:
> > Il 30/12/18 17:09, Brian ha scritto:
> >

> > > I am unfamiliar with the bts (?) method so cannot offer advice.
> >
> > I suspect the isse was the empty subject line but that error message was
> > a hell of a convoluted way to say so :)
>
> Just for the archives, the 'close' command was deprecated, IIUC because
> it was too easy to close a bug without providing any reason.

I cannot find anything referring to this deprecation. Indeed, we see

  > nnn-close is provided as an alias for nnn-done

at

  https://www.debian.org/Bugs/Developer

That has been said since 1997.

I agree that providing a reason should be the norm. However, I have
just closed one of my bugs with nnn-close@ without giving a reason.
Not that I am proud of it!

Brian.

On Sb, 18 mai 19, 19:46:07, Brian wrote:
> On Sat 18 May 2019 at 20:22:54 +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
>
> I cannot find anything referring to this deprecation. Indeed, we see

I meant the 'close' control command, not special address. See
https://www.debian.org/Bugs/server-refcard and search for 'close'.

>   > nnn-close is provided as an alias for nnn-done
>
> at
>
>   https://www.debian.org/Bugs/Developer
>
> That has been said since 1997.
>
> I agree that providing a reason should be the norm. However, I have
> just closed one of my bugs with nnn-close@ without giving a reason.
> Not that I am proud of it!
:)

Kind regards,