bonding module not loading in Stretch

Ross Halliday-2
Hi list,

This isn't ISP-specific but I know quite a few run this driver.

I'm attempting to roll a new router/firewall using Debian 9 and am hitting a wall with the bonding module. The last time I configured bonding was on Squeeze (Debian 6), I did through adding

        "alias bond0 bonding
        options bonding <whatever>"

into /etc/modprobe.d/aliases.conf, and adding some shortcuts in /etc/network/interfaces to call ifenslave.

I see now that the preferred method is to do everything in the interfaces file, by passing options like "bond_mode" and so on.

The issue I'm running into is that I can't get the bonding driver to load on boot. After a fresh boot, "ifup" returns "no such device". I must manually modprobe bonding in order to get it running. This happens despite adding the above options into a file in /etc/modprobe.d. For similar reasons - or so I assume - I can't get additional bonds to work unless I manipulate /sys/class/net/bonding_masters as suggested here https://ubuntuforums.org/printthread.php?t=1119460

It seems the real problem is that things I put into /etc/modules or a file under /etc/modprobe.d are ignored.

Are things done differently now? I mostly missed Debian 8, it wouldn't surprise me if I'm just ignorant.

Thanks
Ross

RE: [EXTERNAL] bonding module not loading in Stretch

Ross Halliday-2
Please disregard - it's been so long I forgot that files had to end in ".conf". Also assumed that "max_bonds" did something else.

Working quite nicely now! Three instances of the bonding driver and a pile of VLANs load automatically on boot now.

Cheers
Ross

Ross

RE: [EXTERNAL] bonding module not loading in Stretch

Eliezer Croitoru
Can you share a full example of how it all works together?

Thanks,
Eliezer

----
Eliezer Croitoru