buster: multiple instances of konqueror?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
15 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

buster: multiple instances of konqueror?

D. R. Evans
How do I configure konqueror in buster so that I can run more than one instance?

  Doc

--
Web:  http://enginehousebooks.com/drevans


signature.asc (201 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: buster: multiple instances of konqueror?

D. R. Evans
D. R. Evans wrote on 9/1/19 8:51 AM:
> How do I configure konqueror in buster so that I can run more than one instance?
>

I haven't seen any responses to this. Is it perhaps, for reasons I can't even
begin to guess, by design not even possible to run multiple instances of
konqueror under buster?? Or (I hope) am I just missing some simple
configuration option?

  Doc

--
Web:  http://enginehousebooks.com/drevans


signature.asc (201 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: buster: multiple instances of konqueror?

Dan Ritter-4
D. R. Evans wrote:
> D. R. Evans wrote on 9/1/19 8:51 AM:
> > How do I configure konqueror in buster so that I can run more than one instance?
> >
>
> I haven't seen any responses to this. Is it perhaps, for reasons I can't even
> begin to guess, by design not even possible to run multiple instances of
> konqueror under buster?? Or (I hope) am I just missing some simple
> configuration option?

I've never used konqueror, but a good first question is: how do
you expect to run multiple instances of konqueror elsewhere?

What error messages do you get when trying the same thing in
buster?

-dsr-

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: buster: multiple instances of konqueror?

D. R. Evans
Dan Ritter wrote on 9/5/19 9:36 AM:

> D. R. Evans wrote:
>> D. R. Evans wrote on 9/1/19 8:51 AM:
>>> How do I configure konqueror in buster so that I can run more than one instance?
>>>
>>
>> I haven't seen any responses to this. Is it perhaps, for reasons I can't even
>> begin to guess, by design not even possible to run multiple instances of
>> konqueror under buster?? Or (I hope) am I just missing some simple
>> configuration option?
>
> I've never used konqueror, but a good first question is: how do
> you expect to run multiple instances of konqueror elsewhere?
>
Either type "konqueror" at the command line, or select "Konqueror" from the
normal KDE menu system.

> What error messages do you get when trying the same thing in
> buster?
>

None.

  Doc

--
Web:  http://enginehousebooks.com/drevans


signature.asc (201 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: buster: multiple instances of konqueror?

Will Mengarini
A general solution to problems like this is to run the alternate
instance as a different user.  Example:
  adduser doppel # also creates /home/doppel
  sudo -u doppel konqueror # may use /home/doppel for new config files

* D. R. Evans <[hidden email]> [19-09/05=Thu 10:08 -0600]:

> Dan Ritter wrote on 9/5/19 9:36 AM:
> > D. R. Evans wrote:
> >> D. R. Evans wrote on 9/1/19 8:51 AM:
> >>> How do I configure konqueror in buster so that I can run more than one instance?
> >>>
> >>
> >> I haven't seen any responses to this. Is it perhaps, for reasons I can't even
> >> begin to guess, by design not even possible to run multiple instances of
> >> konqueror under buster?? Or (I hope) am I just missing some simple
> >> configuration option?
> >
> > I've never used konqueror, but a good first question is: how do
> > you expect to run multiple instances of konqueror elsewhere?
> >
>
> Either type "konqueror" at the command line, or select "Konqueror" from the
> normal KDE menu system.
>
> > What error messages do you get when trying the same thing in
> > buster?
> >
>
> None.
>
>   Doc
>
> --
> Web:  http://enginehousebooks.com/drevans
>



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: buster: multiple instances of konqueror?

Étienne Mollier
D. R. Evans, on 2019-09-05:

> Dan Ritter wrote on 9/5/19 9:36 AM:
> > D. R. Evans wrote:
> > > D. R. Evans wrote on 9/1/19 8:51 AM:
> > > > How do I configure konqueror in buster so that I can run more
> > > > than one instance?
> > >
> > > I haven't seen any responses to this. Is it perhaps, for reasons
> > > I can't even begin to guess, by design not even possible to run
> > > multiple instances of konqueror under buster?? Or (I hope) am I
> > > just missing some simple configuration option?
> >
> > I've never used konqueror, but a good first question is: how do
> > you expect to run multiple instances of konqueror elsewhere?
>
> Either type "konqueror" at the command line, or select
> "Konqueror" from the normal KDE menu system.
>
> > What error messages do you get when trying the same thing in
> > buster?
>
> None.
On my side, the window manager happily brings up the first
konqueror window having been started, and the "konqueror"
command gives back the hand to the shell, instead of spawning a
new window, which I believe is the expected behaviour ?

According to my few tests and browsing diverse konqueror related
documents, it would seem that running several konqueror
processes is technically prevented by various means, probably
on purpose.  Perhaps you can work this around some way or
another, depending on your use case.  If by "instances", you
mean:

- "several windows", then you can specify an "URL" to your
  "konqueror" command, like for instance:

        $ konqueror . # brings up a new window showing the CWD

- "another X display", then you can specify this using the
  adequate option, as advertised by the manual:

        $ konqueror --display :1.0

- "another process with its own environment" or "another version
  side by side for development purpose", then Will Mengarini
  just provided us with a seemingly adequate hack a few minutes
  ago:
> A general solution to problems like this is to run the alternate
> instance as a different user.  Example:
>   adduser doppel # also creates /home/doppel
>   sudo -u doppel konqueror # may use /home/doppel for new config files


I recall a side thread about profiles, and thought about trying
its advertised option in the manual of konqueror(1), but no
effects.  According to the source code, it looks like the
concept of profiles became obsolete at some point because,
according to client/kfmclient.cpp:

        bool ClientApp::openProfile(const QString &profileName, const QUrl &url, const QString &mimetype)
        {
            Q_UNUSED(profileName); // the concept disappeared
            return createNewWindow(url, false, false, mimetype);
        }


It's been more than a decade since I used konqueror on a daily
basis, not sure how helpful is my intervention, but hopefully it
is informative.

Kind Regards,  :)
--
Étienne Mollier <[hidden email]>
Fingerprint:  5ab1 4edf 63bb ccff 8b54  2fa9 59da 56fe fff3 882d



signature.asc (673 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: buster: multiple instances of konqueror?

D. R. Evans
Étienne Mollier wrote on 9/5/19 1:38 PM:

> On my side, the window manager happily brings up the first
> konqueror window having been started, and the "konqueror"
> command gives back the hand to the shell, instead of spawning a
> new window, which I believe is the expected behaviour ?
>

I'm afraid that I don't understand what you are asking.

> According to my few tests and browsing diverse konqueror related
> documents, it would seem that running several konqueror
> processes is technically prevented by various means, probably
> on purpose.  

I wonder why? This is new behaviour, at least on my systems. In the past,
multiple instances of konqueror peacefully co-existed and did exactly what one
would naïvely expect. For years I have configured a the keyboard shortcut
"alt-S" to be the command "konqueror", and have been able to start as many
instances (processes) as I want with that method.

For example: I am typing this on a stretch system. And between typing that
last sentence and this one, I created five instances of konqueror. They all
work perfectly.

I've used konqueror since the old Mandrake days (somewhere around 2002 is my
best guess). Multiple instances have always worked fine before on my systems.
I find the change very mysterious... and the lack of documentation anywhere I
can find to justify, or even describe this new behaviour, equally puzzling.

> Perhaps you can work this around some way or
> another, depending on your use case.  If by "instances", you
> mean:
By "instances" I meant "processes". I'm sorry that that wasn't clear.

> $ konqueror . # brings up a new window showing the CWD
>

I just spent some time experimenting, and indeed I found a way to get the
behaviour I've always seen before:

If I map "alt-S" to "konqueror <my-home-directory>" instead of just
"konqueror" then it seems perfectly happy to start multiple instances.

So the problem is solved -- if not understood -- and I thank you for this clue.

  Doc

--
Web:  http://enginehousebooks.com/drevans


signature.asc (201 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[Solved] buster: multiple instances of konqueror?

Étienne Mollier
D. R. Evans, on 2019-09-05:
> Étienne Mollier wrote on 9/5/19 1:38 PM:
> > $ konqueror . # brings up a new window showing the CWD
>
> If I map "alt-S" to "konqueror <my-home-directory>" instead of just
> "konqueror" then it seems perfectly happy to start multiple instances.
>
> So the problem is solved -- if not understood -- and I thank you for this clue.

You are welcome, I hope you won't mind if I append a little
"[Solved]" marker in the "Subject:" field in that case.  :)


[... rewinding ...]
> > On my side, the window manager happily brings up the first
> > konqueror window having been started, and the "konqueror"
> > command gives back the hand to the shell, instead of spawning a
> > new window, which I believe is the expected behaviour ?
>
> I'm afraid that I don't understand what you are asking.

Nevermind, I was merely wondering what was the behaviour you
were expecting "physically" on your screen.  I supposed you
wanted to spawn new windows, but was not sure 100%.  Given your
new "alt-S" key binding, I tend to believe I hit bull's eye
(although we're still talking about Buster.  ;)

> > According to my few tests and browsing diverse konqueror related
> > documents, it would seem that running several konqueror
> > processes is technically prevented by various means, probably
> > on purpose.
>
> I wonder why? [...]

That is an hypothesis, I am not a kdevelopper at all, but having
a single process, a single entry point, for doing desktop
integration tasks, for instance receiving a request for opening
a PDF, is probably easier when you know in advance where to put
your PDF opening request to.

There is the DESIGN file at the root of konqueror source code,
giving an overview of the way the program functions and
interacts with other parts of the system (the file is dated from
2007, but I suppose the idea remains).  The program kfclient is
a command you can use to open almost any file, and it tries to
connect to existing running konqueror processes when it exists.
This change of behaviour /might/ be a side effect of that
general policy.

> I've used konqueror since the old Mandrake days (somewhere around 2002 is my
> best guess). Multiple instances have always worked fine before on my systems.
> I find the change very mysterious... and the lack of documentation anywhere I
> can find to justify, or even describe this new behaviour, equally puzzling.

Cool, I started with GNU/Linux with the later version Mandriva
2007, when I was a teenager, and did work a bit with konqueror,
on KDE 3.5.  I /only/ begun using Debian with Lenny, but I
digress.

Kind Regards,  :)
--
Étienne Mollier <[hidden email]>
Fingerprint:  5ab1 4edf 63bb ccff 8b54  2fa9 59da 56fe fff3 882d



signature.asc (673 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: buster: multiple instances of konqueror?

Curt
In reply to this post by D. R. Evans
On 2019-09-01, D. R. Evans <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> How do I configure konqueror in buster so that I can run more than one
> instance?


Settings-Configure Konqueror-Performance-
Disable 'Always try to have one preloaded instance'
Quit
Kill all residual konqueror processes.

This is the fix I gleaned from bug reports on the internets.

But I'm late to the party, haven't perused the entire thread, the
problem's been solved to boot, and god knows what else.



>   Doc

--
“We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.”
― Oscar Wilde, Lady Windermere's Fan

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: buster: multiple instances of konqueror?

D. R. Evans
Curt wrote on 9/7/19 5:37 AM:

> On 2019-09-01, D. R. Evans <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> How do I configure konqueror in buster so that I can run more than one
>> instance?
>
>
> Settings-Configure Konqueror-Performance-
> Disable 'Always try to have one preloaded instance'
> Quit
> Kill all residual konqueror processes.
>
Nope; that did not fix it. I had tried that before I asked here. :-) That just
affects whether it stays in memory when you quit, which isn't the same thing
as running multiple instances.

  Doc

--
Web:  http://enginehousebooks.com/drevans


signature.asc (201 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

OT: Missing sidebar; was buster: multiple instances of konqueror?

RLewis
In reply to this post by D. R. Evans
Hello,

D. R. Evans wrote:

> How do I configure konqueror in buster so that I can run more than one
> instance?
>
>   Doc
>

I'm glad to see that you have solved your problem with konqueror, and I'm
wondering if you can help me with mine.  

Do you have a sidebar (F9)?  If you do, how did you get it?

I asked about konqueror on 28 August in the thread "Buster:  Konqueror as
File Manager", but haven't received any answers to my questions.  I would
appreciate it if you could reply either here or to my original post.

Thank you for your time.

Regards,
Robert

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OT: Missing sidebar; was buster: multiple instances of konqueror?

D. R. Evans
R.Lewis wrote on 9/7/19 8:14 AM:

> I'm glad to see that you have solved your problem with konqueror, and I'm
> wondering if you can help me with mine.  
>
> Do you have a sidebar (F9)?  If you do, how did you get it?
>

Nope. I saw your original question, and have no solution for you, I'm afraid.

  Doc

--
Web:  http://enginehousebooks.com/drevans


signature.asc (201 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OT: Missing sidebar; was buster: multiple instances of konqueror?

RLewis
Hi,

D. R. Evans wrote:

> R.Lewis wrote on 9/7/19 8:14 AM:
>
>> I'm glad to see that you have solved your problem with konqueror, and I'm
>> wondering if you can help me with mine.
>>
>> Do you have a sidebar (F9)?  If you do, how did you get it?
>>
>
> Nope. I saw your original question, and have no solution for you, I'm
> afraid.
>
>   Doc
>

Thanks very much for replying.  

Robert

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OT: Missing sidebar; was buster: multiple instances of konqueror?

Étienne Mollier
On 07/09/2019 18.00, R. Lewis wrote:

> Hi,
>
> D. R. Evans wrote:
>
>> R.Lewis wrote on 9/7/19 8:14 AM:
>>
>>> I'm glad to see that you have solved your problem with konqueror, and I'm
>>> wondering if you can help me with mine.
>>>
>>> Do you have a sidebar (F9)?  If you do, how did you get it?
>>>
>>
>> Nope. I saw your original question, and have no solution for you, I'm
>> afraid.
>>
>>   Doc
>>
>
> Thanks very much for replying.  
>
> Robert
>
Hi,

I managed to get something looking like a side bar (side tool
bar might be a more appropriate naming perhaps), even with F9 to
switch it on and off.  But I had to configure it myself to get
it to work, and it is quite possible that is does not achieve
the convenience of the way it worked in previous Konqueror
versions.

I worked with the "Bookmark Toolbar", but steps would be similar
when using any other custom toolbar.  Here are the steps I
followed:

1. I made sure the "Bookmark Toolbar" was enabled in the menu
   showing up when right clicking over the menu bar.

2. Right click over the Bookmark Toolbar shows a menu in which I
   made sure the "Lock Toolbar Positions" entry was unchecked.

3. Using the handle which just spawned, I dragged the Bookmark
   Toolbar to the side, until a shadow filling the whole height
   of the window show up.

4. To setup the F9 switch, I went to the menu:
        Settings
        -> Configure Shortcuts…
   then searched for "bookmark", and created the "F9" shortcut
   for the "Bookmark Toolbar".

5. And hit "OK" to validate.

I fear it is kind of a very hack-ish way of bringing this option
back to Konqueror, but hope it will open interesting
perspectives nevertheless.  Don't hesitate to play with the
"Text Position" and "Icon size": the bar tends to use as much
space as it requires, without a handle to reduce its width.

Kind Regards,  :)
--
Étienne Mollier <[hidden email]>
Fingerprint:  5ab1 4edf 63bb ccff 8b54  2fa9 59da 56fe fff3 882d


signature.asc (673 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OT: Missing sidebar; was buster: multiple instances of konqueror?

RLewis
Hello,

Étienne Mollier wrote:

> On 07/09/2019 18.00, R. Lewis wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> D. R. Evans wrote:
>>
>>> R.Lewis wrote on 9/7/19 8:14 AM:
>>>
>>>> I'm glad to see that you have solved your problem with konqueror, and
>>>> I'm wondering if you can help me with mine.
>>>>
>>>> Do you have a sidebar (F9)?  If you do, how did you get it?
>>>>
>>>
>>> Nope. I saw your original question, and have no solution for you, I'm
>>> afraid.
>>>
>>>   Doc
>>>
>>
>> Thanks very much for replying.
>>
>> Robert
>>
>
> Hi,
>
> I managed to get something looking like a side bar (side tool
> bar might be a more appropriate naming perhaps), even with F9 to
> switch it on and off.  But I had to configure it myself to get
> it to work, and it is quite possible that is does not achieve
> the convenience of the way it worked in previous Konqueror
> versions.
>
> I worked with the "Bookmark Toolbar", but steps would be similar
> when using any other custom toolbar.  Here are the steps I
> followed:
>
> 1. I made sure the "Bookmark Toolbar" was enabled in the menu
>    showing up when right clicking over the menu bar.
>
> 2. Right click over the Bookmark Toolbar shows a menu in which I
>    made sure the "Lock Toolbar Positions" entry was unchecked.
>
> 3. Using the handle which just spawned, I dragged the Bookmark
>    Toolbar to the side, until a shadow filling the whole height
>    of the window show up.
>
> 4. To setup the F9 switch, I went to the menu:
> Settings
> -> Configure Shortcuts…
>    then searched for "bookmark", and created the "F9" shortcut
>    for the "Bookmark Toolbar".
>
> 5. And hit "OK" to validate.
>
> I fear it is kind of a very hack-ish way of bringing this option
> back to Konqueror, but hope it will open interesting
> perspectives nevertheless.  Don't hesitate to play with the
> "Text Position" and "Icon size": the bar tends to use as much
> space as it requires, without a handle to reduce its width.
>
> Kind Regards,  :)

Thank you for the reply, and the handy tips.  I never realized that the
toolbars could be repositioned.  There's always something new to learn. :-)

More searching on the web lead me to a method for creating a tree-style
sidebar.  I've posted it in my original thread "Buster: Konqueror as File
Manager", rather than to this OT thread, so that  others may find more
easily.

Thanks again.

Regards,
Robert