buster net install image speakup not starting

buster net install image speakup not starting

Keith Barrett
Hello,

Is there a knows issue with the buster installation images where speakup
does not start?

I used the image Debian GNU/Linux buster-DI-alpha3 "Buster" - Official
Snapshot amd64 NETINST 20180612-18:52
I pressed "s" but got no speech.

Thanks

Keith

Re: buster net install image speakup not starting

Samuel Thibault-8
Hello,

Keith Barrett, le jeu. 09 août 2018 15:29:02 +0100, a ecrit:
> Is there a knows issue with the buster installation images where speakup
> does not start?
>
> I used the image Debian GNU/Linux buster-DI-alpha3 "Buster" - Official
> Snapshot amd64 NETINST 20180612-18:52
> I pressed "s" but got no speech.

There is no such known issue, netinst images should have speakup
included.

Where did you take the image exactly?

Did you boot with BIOS (one beep) or UEFI (two beeps)?

Samuel

On 09/08/18 16:05, Samuel Thibault wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Keith Barrett, le jeu. 09 août 2018 15:29:02 +0100, a ecrit:
>> Is there a knows issue with the buster installation images where speakup
>> does not start?
>>
>> I used the image Debian GNU/Linux buster-DI-alpha3 "Buster" - Official
>> Snapshot amd64 NETINST 20180612-18:52
>> I pressed "s" but got no speech.
>
> There is no such known issue, netinst images should have speakup
> included.
Then it looks like there is an issue, is there any information I can
provide to help locate the issue?  It may be a while until I can get
some one to read the screen.

> Where did you take the image exactly?
I followed the link to the images including firmware from the debian
firmware wiki page.

> Did you boot with BIOS (one beep) or UEFI (two beeps)?
No beeps heard, I will try the same image on another computer and report
back.

Keith Barrett, le jeu. 09 août 2018 21:10:25 +0100, a ecrit:
> On 09/08/18 16:05, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> > There is no such known issue, netinst images should have speakup
> > included.
> Then it looks like there is an issue, is there any information I can provide
> to help locate the issue?  It may be a while until I can get some one to
> read the screen.

Then you'd need a braille display to get the needed information if it's
a problem with your particular system, and not just a bogus image.

FTR, details on debugging information is on the wiki
https://wiki.debian.org/accessibility#Debian_installer_accessibility

> > Where did you take the image exactly?
> I followed the link to the images including firmware from the debian
> firmware wiki page.

I guess you ended up on

http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/buster_di_alpha3+nonfree/amd64/iso-cd/firmware-buster-DI-alpha3-amd64-netinst.iso

but it'd be better to be sure, otherwise chasing bug where it is not is
just loss of time...

> > Did you boot with BIOS (one beep) or UEFI (two beeps)?
> No beeps heard,

Ok, it was just to make sure whether you need to press enter (BIOS boot)
or not (UEFI boot)

Samuel

On 09/08/18 22:46, Samuel Thibault wrote:

> Keith Barrett, le jeu. 09 août 2018 21:10:25 +0100, a ecrit:
>> On 09/08/18 16:05, Samuel Thibault wrote:
>>> There is no such known issue, netinst images should have speakup
>>> included.
>> Then it looks like there is an issue, is there any information I can provide
>> to help locate the issue?  It may be a while until I can get some one to
>> read the screen.
>
> Then you'd need a braille display to get the needed information if it's
> a problem with your particular system, and not just a bogus image.

Right, I have a braille display which I have not used for some time, I
will see what I can do and thank you for the degugging information.

> FTR, details on debugging information is on the wiki
> https://wiki.debian.org/accessibility#Debian_installer_accessibility
>
>>> Where did you take the image exactly?
>> I followed the link to the images including firmware from the debian
>> firmware wiki page.
>
> I guess you ended up on
>
> http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/buster_di_alpha3+nonfree/amd64/iso-cd/firmware-buster-DI-alpha3-amd64-netinst.iso
>
> but it'd be better to be sure, otherwise chasing bug where it is not is
> just loss of time...
Yes, just checked and that is the correct image.

>>> Did you boot with BIOS (one beep) or UEFI (two beeps)?
>> No beeps heard,
>
> Ok, it was just to make sure whether you need to press enter (BIOS boot)
> or not (UEFI boot)

Right, so has the method of enabelling accessibility changed in buster?

Keith Barrett, le ven. 10 août 2018 11:02:18 +0100, a ecrit:
> On 09/08/18 22:46, Samuel Thibault wrote:
 >
> > http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/buster_di_alpha3+nonfree/amd64/iso-cd/firmware-buster-DI-alpha3-amd64-netinst.iso
> >
> > but it'd be better to be sure, otherwise chasing bug where it is not is
> > just loss of time...
> Yes, just checked and that is the correct image.

Ok, I checked the image as being fine, so it's not a problem of the
particular image.

> > > No beeps heard,
> >
> > Ok, it was just to make sure whether you need to press enter (BIOS boot)
> > or not (UEFI boot)
>
> Right, so has the method of enabelling accessibility changed in buster?

It doesn't have. It's just that more and more systems are booting in
UEFI mode, and in that case one doesn't need to press enter, and people
getting used to that would then not press it when back on a BIOS
machine.

Samuel

Re: buster net install image speakup not starting

Dale Forsyth