buster to testing

mick crane
excuse my forgetfulness
have 2 PCs cheerfully running 10.1
If I want to change one to testing is it *just* a question of changing
the sources list ?

mick

Key ID    4BFEBB31

Re: buster to testing

john doe-6
On 9/7/2019 6:03 PM, mick crane wrote:
> excuse my forgetfulness
> have 2 PCs cheerfully running 10.1
> If I want to change one to testing is it *just* a question of changing
> the sources list ?

Yes, along with reading the docs prior to 'full-upgrade'.

John Doe

Re: buster to testing

tomas@tuxteam.de
On Sat, Sep 07, 2019 at 05:03:03PM +0100, mick crane wrote:
> excuse my forgetfulness
> have 2 PCs cheerfully running 10.1
> If I want to change one to testing is it *just* a question of
> changing the sources list ?

Well, yes -- and then doing apt update && apt full-upgrade (or
alternatively apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade)

Cheers
-- t

Re: buster to testing

Sven Hartge-5
mick crane <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If I want to change one to testing is it *just* a question of changing
> the sources list ?

Yes.

Grüße,
Sven.

Sigmentation fault. Core dumped.

Re: buster to testing

Patrick Bartek-2
On Sat, 07 Sep 2019 17:03:03 +0100
mick crane <[hidden email]> wrote:

> excuse my forgetfulness
> have 2 PCs cheerfully running 10.1
> If I want to change one to testing is it *just* a question of changing
> the sources list ?

Not entirely.  That's the second step.  The first, is to read the
instructions.  The one thing to be aware of is you must recompile any
drivers or apps you did under Buster for the new Testing kernel,
particluarly if you are using Virtualbox.  If you've installed dkms in
Buster, it should take care of that on the first boot of Testing.

Then, once all is set sources.list-wise, apt or apt-get update and apt
full-grade or apt-get dist-upgrade.  You should use full-upgrade or
dist-upgrade for as long as Testing is testing to be sure you get
everything upgraded. Once Testing becomes Stable, the use just plain
upgrade.