but it's not going to be installed

mick crane
I typed
"apt install mypaint"
mypaint depends on mypaint-data but it's not going to be installed
seen that mypaint-data was there so
"apt install mypaint-data"
...installs OK
"apt install mypaint"
no complaints
what's that all about then ?

mick

Key ID    4BFEBB31

Re: but it's not going to be installed

Cindy Sue Causey
On 4/15/19, mick crane <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I typed
> "apt install mypaint"
> mypaint depends on mypaint-data but it's not going to be installed
> seen that mypaint-data was there so
> "apt install mypaint-data"
> ...installs OK
> "apt install mypaint"
> no complaints
> what's that all about then ?

Apparently for one thing, it's about some kind of package
conflicts'ISH with GIMP GNU Image Manipulation Program. Via "apt-get
install --dry-run" mypaint-data, I received the following:

The following packages will be REMOVED:
  gimp gimp-ufraw libmypaint-1.3-0 libmypaint-common
  mypaint-data
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 4 to remove and [yada-yada large
packages] not upgraded.

If you didn't have GIMP installed, that wouldn't have hit your radar.

Speaking as a GIMP fan nearly since their first days, OUCH!! :)

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* runs with birdseed *

On 2019-04-15 21:00, Cindy Sue Causey wrote:

> On 4/15/19, mick crane <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I typed
>> "apt install mypaint"
>> mypaint depends on mypaint-data but it's not going to be installed
>> seen that mypaint-data was there so
>> "apt install mypaint-data"
>> ...installs OK
>> "apt install mypaint"
>> no complaints
>> what's that all about then ?
>

> Apparently for one thing, it's about some kind of package
> conflicts'ISH with GIMP GNU Image Manipulation Program. Via "apt-get
> install --dry-run" mypaint-data, I received the following:
>
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>   gimp gimp-ufraw libmypaint-1.3-0 libmypaint-common
>   mypaint-data
> 0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 4 to remove and [yada-yada large
> packages] not upgraded.
>
> If you didn't have GIMP installed, that wouldn't have hit your radar.
>
> Speaking as a GIMP fan nearly since their first days, OUCH!! :)
>
> Cindy :)

Ah Ok, I do have gimp installed but wanted to try mypaint, didn't notice
any warning about gimp. I guess it'll put itself back together.
Suppose apt thought well they asked, I'll install it.
might use --dry-run in future.
mick
Key ID    4BFEBB31

On 2019-04-15 21:00, Cindy Sue Causey wrote:

> On 4/15/19, mick crane <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I typed
>> "apt install mypaint"
>> mypaint depends on mypaint-data but it's not going to be installed
>> seen that mypaint-data was there so
>> "apt install mypaint-data"
>> ...installs OK
>> "apt install mypaint"
>> no complaints
>> what's that all about then ?
>

> Apparently for one thing, it's about some kind of package
> conflicts'ISH with GIMP GNU Image Manipulation Program. Via "apt-get
> install --dry-run" mypaint-data, I received the following:
>
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>   gimp gimp-ufraw libmypaint-1.3-0 libmypaint-common
>   mypaint-data
> 0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 4 to remove and [yada-yada large
> packages] not upgraded.
>
> If you didn't have GIMP installed, that wouldn't have hit your radar.
>
> Speaking as a GIMP fan nearly since their first days, OUCH!! :)
>
> Cindy :)
apt put it back together, thanks for doing that, reassuring as to what
went.
there's a windows version of mypaint so I'll play with that.
mick
Key ID    4BFEBB31

Re: but it's not going to be installed

Jonathan Dowland
On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 08:45:09PM +0100, mick crane wrote:
>I typed
>"apt install mypaint"
>mypaint depends on mypaint-data but it's not going to be installed
>seen that mypaint-data was there so
>"apt install mypaint-data"
>...installs OK
>"apt install mypaint"
>no complaints
>what's that all about then ?

This is normally due to Apt having multiple Debian suites to choose from
(e.g. stable and unstable) but having preferences and/or "pinning" set up
so that it does not want to install the dependencies of mypaint.

The approach you took (manually select mypaint-data) works, and could have
been done on the same command (apt install mypaint mypaint-data).

If you would like to investigate further, can you share the output of
"apt policy"?

--

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Jonathan Dowland

Re: but it's not going to be installed

Curt
On 2019-04-15, Cindy Sue Causey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Apparently for one thing, it's about some kind of package
> conflicts'ISH with GIMP GNU Image Manipulation Program. Via "apt-get
> install --dry-run" mypaint-data, I received the following:

There is this year-old bug:

No problem on Stretch, so you and the OP must be running something else
(a critical precision for problem resolution---maybe I missed it).

On 2019-04-16 08:39, Jonathan Dowland wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 08:45:09PM +0100, mick crane wrote:
>> I typed
>> "apt install mypaint"
>> mypaint depends on mypaint-data but it's not going to be installed
>> seen that mypaint-data was there so
>> "apt install mypaint-data"
>> ...installs OK
>> "apt install mypaint"
>> no complaints
>> what's that all about then ?
>
> This is normally due to Apt having multiple Debian suites to choose
> from
> (e.g. stable and unstable) but having preferences and/or "pinning" set
> up
> so that it does not want to install the dependencies of mypaint.
>
> The approach you took (manually select mypaint-data) works, and could
> have
> been done on the same command (apt install mypaint mypaint-data).
>
> If you would like to investigate further, can you share the output of
> "apt policy"?

would the brave-apt stretch line cause problems with software other than
brave browser which I don't really use ?
:~$ apt policy
Package files:
  100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
      release a=now
  500 https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/brave-apt stretch/main amd64
Packages
      release o=. stretch,a=stretch,n=stretch,l=. stretch,c=main,b=amd64
      origin s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com
  500 http://deb.debian.org/debian buster/contrib i386 Packages
      release o=Debian,a=testing,n=buster,l=Debian,c=contrib,b=i386
      origin deb.debian.org
  500 http://deb.debian.org/debian buster/contrib amd64 Packages
      release o=Debian,a=testing,n=buster,l=Debian,c=contrib,b=amd64
      origin deb.debian.org
  500 http://deb.debian.org/debian buster/main i386 Packages
      release o=Debian,a=testing,n=buster,l=Debian,c=main,b=i386
      origin deb.debian.org
  500 http://deb.debian.org/debian buster/main amd64 Packages
      release o=Debian,a=testing,n=buster,l=Debian,c=main,b=amd64
      origin deb.debian.org
Pinned packages:

Key ID    4BFEBB31

On Tue, Apr 16, 2019 at 10:12:47AM +0100, mick crane wrote:
>would the brave-apt stretch line cause problems with software other
>than brave browser which I don't really use ?

No it's very unlikely. It's possible that the particular Brave repository you
have configured there (Brave stretch) could depend upon versions of packages in
stretch rather than the newer Buster, which you are otherwise using
consistently, which might prevent their upgrade. But I don't think that's what
has happened for your mypaint case, Curt's bug
(https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=897909) is the more
likely explanation.