cannot install from backports

Brian Cary
Greetings!
As the title says, I can't seem to install anything from backports.

Example, lets say I need to upgrade Gimp from 2.8 (in stable) to 2.10 (in Testing).If I go to https://backports.debian.org/Packages/ I can verify that 2.10 is indeed in testing.

I run this:
apt -t stretch-backports install gimp
And my newly installed Debian 9.9 replies:
gimp is already the newest version (2.8.18-1+deb9u1).
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 153 not upgraded.
Which is of course WRONG, because we just looked in Packages and verified that 2.10 is in testing.

What can I do to install Gimp 2.10 from testing?

Thanks in advance,
--Brian
Also I have run--as root--apt update, and here is my /etc/apt/sources.list file:

#copied all this from debian https://wiki.debian.org/SourcesList
deb http://deb.debian.org/debian stretch main contrib non-free
deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian stretch main contrib non-free

deb http://deb.debian.org/debian-security/ stretch/updates main contrib non-free
deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian-security/ stretch/updates main contrib non-free

deb http://deb.debian.org/debian stretch-updates main contrib non-free
deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian stretch-updates main contrib non-free

#backports added per debian here
deb http://deb.debian.org/debian stretch-backports main contrib non-free
deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian stretch-backports main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org/ stretch/updates contrib non-free main

--Brian

Fantastic Fantasy, Curiously Chronicled
Links for all the major platforms -> http://BrianCaryBooks.com

Re: cannot install from backports

Greg Wooledge
On Tue, Jun 25, 2019 at 04:04:55PM -0400, Brian Cary wrote:
> I run this:
> *apt -t stretch-backports install gimp*
> And my newly installed Debian 9.9 replies:
>
> *gimp is already the newest version (2.8.18-1+deb9u1).0 upgraded, 0 newly
> installed, 0 to remove and 153 not upgraded.*
> Which is of course *WRONG*, because we just looked in Packages and verified
> that 2.10 *is* in testing.

Just because a package is in testing doesn't mean a stretch-backport
exists for it.

There are no stretch-backports or jessie-backports packages of gimp at
this time, according to judd in IRC.

Re: cannot install from backports

Roberto C. Sánchez
On Tue, Jun 25, 2019 at 04:04:55PM -0400, Brian Cary wrote:

>    Greetings!
>    As the title says, I can't seem to install anything from backports.
>    Example, lets say I need to upgrade Gimp from 2.8 (in stable) to 2.10 (in
>    Testing).If I go to [1]https://backports.debian.org/Packages/ I can verify
>    that 2.10 is indeed in testing.
>    I run this:
>    apt -t stretch-backports install gimp
>    And my newly installed Debian 9.9 replies:
>    gimp is already the newest version (2.8.18-1+deb9u1).
>    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 153 not upgraded.
>    Which is of course WRONG, because we just looked in Packages and verified
>    that 2.10 is in testing.
>    What can I do to install Gimp 2.10 from testing?

Testing and backports are two different things.  There is no Gimp
package currently in backports.

Regards,

-Roberto

Roberto C. Sánchez

Re: cannot install from backports

Brian Cary
Thank you! That makes sense now. I'm new to Debian (long time Ubuntu user), so I didn't realize the difference.
SO, since Gimp version 2.10 is in "testing", and version 2.8 is in stable, is there a way to install Gimp 2.10 (from "Debian testing") onto my "Debian stable" system?
Kind regards,
--Brian

On Tue, Jun 25, 2019 at 4:09 PM Roberto C. Sánchez <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, Jun 25, 2019 at 04:04:55PM -0400, Brian Cary wrote:
>    Greetings!
>    As the title says, I can't seem to install anything from backports.
>    Example, lets say I need to upgrade Gimp from 2.8 (in stable) to 2.10 (in
>    Testing).If I go to [1]https://backports.debian.org/Packages/ I can verify
>    that 2.10 is indeed in testing.
>    I run this:
>    apt -t stretch-backports install gimp
>    And my newly installed Debian 9.9 replies:
>    gimp is already the newest version (2.8.18-1+deb9u1).
>    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 153 not upgraded.
>    Which is of course WRONG, because we just looked in Packages and verified
>    that 2.10 is in testing.
>    What can I do to install Gimp 2.10 from testing?

Testing and backports are two different things.  There is no Gimp
package currently in backports.

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sánchez

--
--Brian

Fantastic Fantasy, Curiously Chronicled
Links for all the major platforms -> http://BrianCaryBooks.com

Re: cannot install from backports

Sven Hartge-5
Brian Cary <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank you! That makes sense now. I'm new to Debian (*long* time Ubuntu
> user), so I didn't realize the difference.
> SO, since Gimp version 2.10 is in "testing", and version 2.8 is in stable,*
> is there a way to install Gimp 2.10 (from "Debian testing") onto my "Debian
> stable" system?*

No. Not without breaking everything.

But Debian 10 Buster is really really really close to release (two more
weeks, IIRC). You can either wait for it to become officially declared
stable or just upgrade ahead of time.

See the Release Notes here:
https://www.debian.org/releases/buster/amd64/release-notes/index.en.html

Grüße,
Sven.

Sigmentation fault. Core dumped.

Re: cannot install from backports

john doe-6
On 6/26/2019 12:27 PM, Brian Cary wrote:
> Thank you! That makes sense now. I'm new to Debian (*long* time Ubuntu
> user), so I didn't realize the difference.
> SO, since Gimp version 2.10 is in "testing", and version 2.8 is in stable,*
> is there a way to install Gimp 2.10 (from "Debian testing") onto my "Debian
> stable" system?*

Simply add in '/etc/apt/sources.list' the lines for Buster but be
extremely careful when mixing stable and non-stable pkgs.

John Doe

On Wed, Jun 26, 2019 at 01:35:15PM +0200, john doe wrote:
> Simply add in '/etc/apt/sources.list' the lines for Buster but be
> extremely careful when mixing stable and non-stable pkgs.

Do NOT mix stable with newer branches.

If you want to upgrade to buster, go ahead.  Now's a good time for it.
This close to buster's release, it's going to be relatively bug-free.
You don't get security coverage until the formal release, but if you
can live without that for another week and a half, it should be quite
usable.