completion prompting

grumpy-2
with bash completion returns a message like
Display all 129 possibilities? (y or n)
how can i turn this off

Re: completion prompting

Andrei POPESCU-2
On Du, 05 apr 20, 14:31:06, [hidden email] wrote:
> with bash completion returns a message like
> Display all 129 possibilities? (y or n)
> how can i turn this off

    man readline

Kind regards,
Andrei

Re: completion prompting

tomas@tuxteam.de
On Sun, Apr 05, 2020 at 02:31:06PM +0200, [hidden email] wrote:
> with bash completion returns a message like
> Display all 129 possibilities? (y or n)
> how can i turn this off

I don't know what you mean by "turning this off".

The helper doing this is the readline library. Your shell picks
configuration for readline from the files /etc/inputrc and
~/.inputrc.

There is one variable which limits the maximum number of possible
completions shown (default is 100). The variable is called

  completion-query-items

So, if I understood you correctly, you might experiment with putting

  set completion-query-items 1000

in your file ~/.inputrc. Or you set it to a negative number, then
you're never asked (do at your own risk :-)

See bash's man page, section READLINE, and the readline man page.

But perhaps I didn't understand you correctly.

Cheers
-- t

Re: completion prompting

grumpy-2
On Sun, 5 Apr 2020, [hidden email] wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 05, 2020 at 02:31:06PM +0200, [hidden email] wrote:
>> with bash completion returns a message like
>> Display all 129 possibilities? (y or n)
>> how can i turn this off
>
> I don't know what you mean by "turning this off".
>
> The helper doing this is the readline library. Your shell picks
> configuration for readline from the files /etc/inputrc and
> ~/.inputrc.
>
> There is one variable which limits the maximum number of possible
> completions shown (default is 100). The variable is called
>
>  completion-query-items
>
> So, if I understood you correctly, you might experiment with putting
>
>  set completion-query-items 1000
>
> in your file ~/.inputrc. Or you set it to a negative number, then
> you're never asked (do at your own risk :-)
>
> See bash's man page, section READLINE, and the readline man page.
>
> But perhaps I didn't understand you correctly.
>
> Cheers
> -- t

that's is exactly what i was attempting to say
if i am reading the man page correctly
there is not a very fine control
i wrote a script that runs in bash
i would like to disable prompting for only this script

$if my_script
set completion-query-items -1
$endif

but this does not work

Re: completion prompting

Greg Wooledge
On Sun, Apr 05, 2020 at 03:22:08PM +0200, [hidden email] wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Apr 2020, [hidden email] wrote:
> > So, if I understood you correctly, you might experiment with putting
> >
> >  set completion-query-items 1000
> >
> > in your file ~/.inputrc. Or you set it to a negative number, then
> > you're never asked (do at your own risk :-)

> i wrote a script that runs in bash
> i would like to disable prompting for only this script

What makes you think your script would USE this at all?  Are you running a
"read -e" command inside the script?

> $if my_script
> set completion-query-items -1
> $endif

help bind

Probably something like    bind 'set ...'   but I have zero experience
with this.