config question re ff history etc

Gene Heskett-4
Greetings all;

I have a need to transfer all the prefs -"saved logins" from a wheezy
install to a stretch install, separate drives.  And obviously the
stretch firefox is about 20 versions newer. What file do I copy from the
wheezy drive to the stretch drive so my bank knows its me?

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Re: config question re ff history etc

john doe-6
On 5/9/2019 5:32 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Greetings all;
>
> I have a need to transfer all the prefs -"saved logins" from a wheezy
> install to a stretch install, separate drives.  And obviously the
> stretch firefox is about 20 versions newer. What file do I copy from the
> wheezy drive to the stretch drive so my bank knows its me?

I would say the 'profile' that you want to move.

John Doe

Re: config question re ff history etc

Curt
On 2019-05-09, Gene Heskett <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Greetings all;
>
> I have a need to transfer all the prefs -"saved logins" from a wheezy
> install to a stretch install, separate drives.  And obviously the
> stretch firefox is about 20 versions newer. What file do I copy from the
> wheezy drive to the stretch drive so my bank knows its me?

I believe you need the following *two* files:

 key4.db
 logins.json

--
Mrs Hessler, the teacher, considered me her employee, and I played along with
this to keep the frown off that somewhat shapeless face she had crowned with an
for example. -- Thomas McGuane, https://granta.com/grandma-and-me/

Re: config question re ff history etc

David Wright-3
On Thu 09 May 2019 at 16:51:24 (-0000), Curt wrote:

> On 2019-05-09, Gene Heskett <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Greetings all;
> >
> > I have a need to transfer all the prefs -"saved logins" from a wheezy
> > install to a stretch install, separate drives.  And obviously the
> > stretch firefox is about 20 versions newer. What file do I copy from the
> > wheezy drive to the stretch drive so my bank knows its me?
>
> I believe you need the following *two* files:
>
>  key4.db
>  logins.json

-rw------- 1  16384 Sep 10  2018 key3.db
-rw------- 1 294912 Sep 10  2018 key4.db
-rw------- 1     55 Aug 19  2015 logins.json

from the FF that I bank with. The amount of non-null information in
key4.db is around 1400 bytes, mainly consisting of small hex numbers
is sequential groups.

Taking a credit card site at random, I get the following matches:
Binary file .mozilla/firefox/…/content-prefs.sqlite matches
Binary file .mozilla/firefox/…/cookies.sqlite matches
Binary file .mozilla/firefox/…/favicons.sqlite matches
Binary file .mozilla/firefox/…/places.sqlite matches
.mozilla/firefox/…/sessionstore-backups/previous.js:{"version":["sessionrestore",1],"
.mozilla/firefox/…/SiteSecurityServiceState.txt:redacted
.mozilla/firefox/…/SiteSecurityServiceState.txt:redacted
.mozilla/firefox/…/SiteSecurityServiceState.txt:redacted

The cookies file is stuffed full of INSERT INTO lines containing
probably all the sites I visit with that browser. (I save usernames
but not passwords.) IIRC it's cookies that prevent security questions
being asked all the time.

I think places is the file that contains history, along with bookmarks
and other stuff.

I don't believe I have a profile dating from wheezy so I don't know
if any of these files are compatible. However, I would guess their
compatibility rests more with the FF version than the Debian release,
so if you've kept wheezy reasonably up-to-date, I would just move
the whole profile and let FF sort it out (after backing it up).

By twenty versions, do you mean Debian upgrades or FF versions?
The version of FF on a recent snapshot of a wheezy dpkg -l shows
firefox-esr 52.8.0esr-1~deb7u1 and iceweasel 52.8.0esr-1~deb7u1
so I would think FF should manage the change for basics like
cookies, history, bookmarks etc, if not things like add-ons.

Cheers,
David.

On Thursday 09 May 2019 12:00:56 pm john doe wrote:

> On 5/9/2019 5:32 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Greetings all;
> >
> > I have a need to transfer all the prefs -"saved logins" from a
> > wheezy install to a stretch install, separate drives.  And obviously
> > the stretch firefox is about 20 versions newer. What file do I copy
> > from the wheezy drive to the stretch drive so my bank knows its me?
>
> I would say the 'profile' that you want to move.

That does not exist in my $home dir on the src drive.  Any idea where it
may be?

> --
> John Doe

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Re: config question re ff history etc

Dan Purgert

--
|_|O|_|

Re: config question re ff history etc

rhkramer

That's certainly a useful mnemonic for a profile ;-)

On Thursday 09 May 2019 12:51:24 pm Curt wrote:

> On 2019-05-09, Gene Heskett <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Greetings all;
> >
> > I have a need to transfer all the prefs -"saved logins" from a
> > wheezy install to a stretch install, separate drives.  And obviously
> > the stretch firefox is about 20 versions newer. What file do I copy
> > from the wheezy drive to the stretch drive so my bank knows its me?
>
> I believe you need the following *two* files:
>
>  key4.db
>  logins.json
>
> > Cheers, Gene Heskett

Couldn't find it, so I ran updateb with the old drive mounted.

key4.db shows up in several places, but it looks like the one I might
want is one of these two:

this one as its the biggest by quite a bit
/home/gene/.mozilla/firefox/73t2g4uq.default/key4.db except its on this
drive? But copying it over from the old drive didn't seem to do a thing,
and neither did copying logins.json. Firefox  has changed a lot since
wheezy.

So I guess I'll have to shutdown, swap cables to make sdb into sda , boot
wheezy and see if I can con it into printing all that stuff,  I need my
bookmarks-toolbar to make it complete too.  Sigh. Tomorrows project, its
about time to go scare a couple pork chops to death with a hot skillet.

Thanks.

On Thu 09 May 2019 at 16:26:10 (-0400), Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Thursday 09 May 2019 12:51:24 pm Curt wrote:
>
> > On 2019-05-09, Gene Heskett <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Greetings all;
> > >
> > > I have a need to transfer all the prefs -"saved logins" from a
> > > wheezy install to a stretch install, separate drives.  And obviously
> > > the stretch firefox is about 20 versions newer. What file do I copy
> > > from the wheezy drive to the stretch drive so my bank knows its me?
> >
> > I believe you need the following *two* files:
> >
> >  key4.db
> >  logins.json
>
> Couldn't find it, so I ran updateb with the old drive mounted.
>
> key4.db shows up in several places, but it looks like the one I might
> want is one of these two:
>
> this one as its the biggest by quite a bit
> /home/gene/.mozilla/firefox/73t2g4uq.default/key4.db except its on this
> drive? But copying it over from the old drive didn't seem to do a thing,
> and neither did copying logins.json. Firefox  has changed a lot since
> wheezy.

Well, it wouldn't unless you change profiles.ini in the same directory
to point at the correct path as the default.

Alternatively, assuming you've run FF on the new system (which it
sounds like you have), you can swap the names of the two directories
(one from the old system with all your stuff in it, one created on
the new system which you can eventually delete).

$ ls -l .mozilla/firefox/
total 16
drwxr-sr--  4 flash flash 4096 Mar 25 08:50 Crash Reports
drwxr-sr-- 21 flash flash 4096 May  9 14:29 jzq80501.default
drwxr-sr--  2 flash flash 4096 Sep  9  2018 Pending Pings
-rw-r--r--  1 flash flash   94 Sep 16  2009 profiles.ini
$ cat .mozilla/firefox/profiles.ini
[General]
StartWithLastProfile=1

[Profile0]
Name=default
IsRelative=1
Path=jzq80501.default

$

You can see that this user (a non-financial one) has had its profile,
named jzq80501, for ten years. It's been copied from system to system
as each machine has had its period of being the one I sit in front of.
So there are now five copies in various stages of evolution on five
machines: two desktops and three laptops.

Cheers,
David.

On Thursday 09 May 2019 07:53:44 pm David Wright wrote:

> On Thu 09 May 2019 at 16:26:10 (-0400), Gene Heskett wrote:

> > > I believe you need the following *two* files:
> > >
> > >  key4.db
> > >  logins.json
> >
> > Couldn't find it, so I ran updateb with the old drive mounted.
> >
> > key4.db shows up in several places, but it looks like the one I
> > might want is one of these two:
> >
> > this one as its the biggest by quite a bit
> > /home/gene/.mozilla/firefox/73t2g4uq.default/key4.db except its on
> > this drive? But copying it over from the old drive didn't seem to do
> > a thing, and neither did copying logins.json. Firefox  has changed a
> > lot since wheezy.
>
> Well, it wouldn't unless you change profiles.ini in the same directory
> to point at the correct path as the default.
>
> Alternatively, assuming you've run FF on the new system (which it
> sounds like you have), you can swap the names of the two directories
> (one from the old system with all your stuff in it, one created on
> the new system which you can eventually delete).
>
> $ ls -l .mozilla/firefox/
> total 16
> drwxr-sr--  4 flash flash 4096 Mar 25 08:50 Crash Reports
> drwxr-sr-- 21 flash flash 4096 May  9 14:29 jzq80501.default
> drwxr-sr--  2 flash flash 4096 Sep  9  2018 Pending Pings
> -rw-r--r--  1 flash flash   94 Sep 16  2009 profiles.ini
> $ cat .mozilla/firefox/profiles.ini
> [General]
> StartWithLastProfile=1
>
> [Profile0]
> Name=default
> IsRelative=1
> Path=jzq80501.default
>
> $
>
> You can see that this user (a non-financial one) has had its profile,
> named jzq80501, for ten years. It's been copied from system to system
> as each machine has had its period of being the one I sit in front of.
> So there are now five copies in various stages of evolution on five
> machines: two desktops and three laptops.
>
> Cheers,
> David.

Thanks David. Printed, for reference and tutorial tomorrow.

On 2019-05-09, Gene Heskett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thursday 09 May 2019 12:51:24 pm Curt wrote:
>
>> On 2019-05-09, Gene Heskett <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Greetings all;
>> >
>> > I have a need to transfer all the prefs -"saved logins" from a
>> > wheezy install to a stretch install, separate drives.  And obviously
>> > the stretch firefox is about 20 versions newer. What file do I copy
>> > from the wheezy drive to the stretch drive so my bank knows its me?
>>
>> I believe you need the following *two* files:
>>
>>  key4.db
>>  logins.json
>>
>> > Cheers, Gene Heskett
>
> Couldn't find it, so I ran updateb with the old drive mounted.

The info was gleefully plagiarized and happily lifted (which means the
same thing, I think) from here:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/profiles-where-firefox-stores-user-data

A post concerning the eternal old to new version conundrum:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1210910

 If you have new passwords in your profile, this will not work.

 In the new profile, remove the password files;
 key3.db [v58+] key4.db and  logins.json : These are the Password files.

 Now Copy those same files from the old profile.
 This must be done with Firefox Closed.

> key4.db shows up in several places, but it looks like the one I might
> want is one of these two:

> this one as its the biggest by quite a bit
> /home/gene/.mozilla/firefox/73t2g4uq.default/key4.db except its on this
> drive? But copying it over from the old drive didn't seem to do a thing,
> and neither did copying logins.json. Firefox  has changed a lot since
> wheezy.

> So I guess I'll have to shutdown, swap cables to make sdb into sda , boot
> wheezy and see if I can con it into printing all that stuff,  I need my
> bookmarks-toolbar to make it complete too.  Sigh. Tomorrows project, its
> about time to go scare a couple pork chops to death with a hot skillet.
>
> Thanks.

Maybe this python script could be of help eventually, if all else fails:

https://github.com/unode/firefox_decrypt

Of course, you must provide your master password (if you have
one) and the *profile* from which to decrypt the logins.

On Friday 10 May 2019 03:45:49 am Curt wrote:

> On 2019-05-09, Gene Heskett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >> I believe you need the following *two* files:
> >>
> >>  key4.db
> >>  logins.json

> > Couldn't find it, so I ran updateb with the old drive mounted.
>
> The info was gleefully plagiarized and happily lifted (which means the
> same thing, I think) from here:
>
> https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/profiles-where-firefox-stores-use
>r-data
>
> A post concerning the eternal old to new version conundrum:
>
> https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1210910
>

>  If you have new passwords in your profile, this will not work.
>
>  In the new profile, remove the password files;
>  key3.db [v58+] key4.db and  logins.json : These are the Password
> files.
>
>  Now Copy those same files from the old profile.
>  This must be done with Firefox Closed.
>
> > key4.db shows up in several places, but it looks like the one I
> > might want is one of these two:
> >
> > this one as its the biggest by quite a bit
> > /home/gene/.mozilla/firefox/73t2g4uq.default/key4.db except its on
> > this drive? But copying it over from the old drive didn't seem to do
> > a thing, and neither did copying logins.json. Firefox  has changed a
> > lot since wheezy.
> >
> > So I guess I'll have to shutdown, swap cables to make sdb into sda ,
> > boot wheezy and see if I can con it into printing all that stuff,  I
> > need my bookmarks-toolbar to make it complete too.  Sigh. Tomorrows
> > project, its about time to go scare a couple pork chops to death
> > with a hot skillet.
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> Maybe this python script could be of help eventually, if all else
> fails:
>
> https://github.com/unode/firefox_decrypt
>
> Of course, you must provide your master password (if you have
> one) and the *profile* from which to decrypt the logins.
>
> > Cheers, Gene Heskett

Again, printed for guidance when I get more pressing household stuff
taken care of.

Thank you Curt.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)