Quantcast

contribution to Med-debian

Nada Gh
Hi all,

I would like to contribute to debian-med. I want to get acquainted with the Med platform.
Can you please assess me how to start?

Thanks& Regards,
Nada

Re: contribution to Med-debian

Andreas Tille-2
Dear Nada,

thanks for your interest in Debian Med.

On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 12:35:46PM -0700, Nada Courses wrote:
> I would like to contribute to debian-med. I want to get acquainted with the
> Med platform.
> Can you please assess me how to start?

To give you an apropriate entry point it would help if you would
introduce yourself a bit.  If you are an upstream developer of some free
software that is relevant for Debian Med and want to get this software
packages we would give different pointers than if you are a user of some
software and just want to know how to install some packages.  So please
be more verbose about your work and skills and we will help you getting
acquainted.

Kind regards

      Andreas.

http://fam-tille.de

Re: contribution to Med-debian

Andreas Tille-5
Dear Nada,

I take the freedom to answer in public on our mailing list.

On Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 05:33:54PM +0300, Nada Courses wrote:
> I haven't worked in any open software. I'm a computer science master
> student who is interested in computational biology/bioinformatics and I
> would like to get involved in bioMedical free software.

OK, so you might like to learn how to create Debian packages from
bioinformatics software?  I think the most straightforward way is to
take some software you either might be interested in yourself which is
not yet in Debian or pick from our todo list[1] something that might be
interesting for you.

Once you have decided for some software you can do a Mentoring of the
Month[2] session.  I'd happily guide you into the "secrets" of
packaging.  Finally you want to put the Debian Med team policy under
your pillow.  It contains some essential readings about packaging in
general as well as the specifics inside the Debian Med team.

Please let me know if these hints are what you are wanting to know
and whether a MoM project would be interesting for you.

Kind regards

       Andreas.

[1] https://blends.debian.org/med/tasks/bio#pkgvcs-debs
[2] https://wiki.debian.org/DebianMed/MoM
[3] https://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/docs/policy.html

http://fam-tille.de

Re: contribution to Med-debian

Nada Gh
Dear Mr. Andreas,

Yes, I want to be considered for MoM.

I will follow all your suggestions and I will get back to you.

Thank you,
Nada

http://fam-tille.de

[MoM] QuPath (Was: contribution to Med-debian)

Andreas Tille-5
Hi Nada,

please always write to the Mailing list in the MoM project if the issue
is not private.

On Fri, May 05, 2017 at 10:56:01PM +0300, Nada Courses wrote:
> Dear Mr. Andreas,

It's perfectly fine to drop the 'Mr.' ;-)

> I found qupath open source software for digital pathology:
> https://qupath.github.io/
>
> Is it possible to work on it?

Well, this looks like a sophisticated piece of software which might a
bit to complex for a beginner.  However, if you are comfortable with
Java (which I'm unfortunately not but that's no issue, just to tell you
that I'll forward you to other Debian lists if it might come to Java
questions) and you seek some challenge we could give it a try.

Just add a row to the MoM page[2] and get an alioth login asking for
Debian Med team membership afterwards to get commit access to Debian Med
Git.

Finally it would be great to have something like qupath in Debian.

Kind regards

        Andreas.

> On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 3:39 PM, Nada Courses <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> Once you have decided for some software you can do a Mentoring of the
> >> Month[2] session.  I'd happily guide you into the "secrets" of
> >> packaging.  Finally you want to put the Debian Med team policy under
> >> your pillow.  It contains some essential readings about packaging in
> >> general as well as the specifics inside the Debian Med team.
> >>
> >> Please let me know if these hints are what you are wanting to know
> >> and whether a MoM project would be interesting for you.
> >>
> >> Kind regards
> >>
> >>        Andreas.
> >>
> >> [1] https://blends.debian.org/med/tasks/bio#pkgvcs-debs
> >> [2] https://wiki.debian.org/DebianMed/MoM
> >> [3] https://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/docs/policy.html

http://fam-tille.de

Re: [MoM] QuPath (Was: contribution to Med-debian)

Nada Gh
Dear Andreas,
How to add a row in MoM page? I couldn't find an option!

Thanks,
Nada

http://fam-tille.de

On Sat, May 06, 2017 at 08:14:45PM +0300, Nada Courses wrote:
> How to add a row in MoM page? I couldn't find an option!

You could either create an account in the Wiki (once logged in you get
an "Edit" menu entry) or just ask me to simply do it - sometimes we have
to many logins all over the network.

The account on alioth us the more important one.

Kind regards

        Andreas.

http://fam-tille.de

Re: [MoM] QuPath (Was: contribution to Med-debian)

Nada Gh
Hi Andreas,

I got this message: "Account creation failed: Due to an ongoing spam attack, this wiki is configured to not automatically create wiki accounts for some users. Please contact [hidden email] first if you wish to create an account, and describe what you want to do in the wiki."

Can you create an account for me?

Regards,
Nada

On Sun, May 07, 2017 at 12:01:21AM +0300, Nada Courses wrote:
> I got this message: "Account creation failed: Due to an ongoing spam
> attack, this wiki is configured to not automatically create wiki accounts
> for some users. Please contact [hidden email] first if you wish to create
> an account, and describe what you want to do in the wiki."

Hmmm, that's demotivating. :-(

> Can you create an account for me?

Sorry, I can't but I added the row for you.

Kind regards

       Andreas.

http://fam-tille.de

Re: [MoM] QuPath (Was: contribution to Med-debian)

Nada Gh
Ok. I will contact them about the issue.
Can you please update my name as Nada Ghanem.

Thank you,
Nada

On Sun, May 7, 2017 at 12:18 AM, Andreas Tille <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Nada,

On Sun, May 07, 2017 at 12:01:21AM +0300, Nada Courses wrote:
> I got this message: "Account creation failed: Due to an ongoing spam
> attack, this wiki is configured to not automatically create wiki accounts
> for some users. Please contact [hidden email] first if you wish to create
> an account, and describe what you want to do in the wiki."

Hmmm, that's demotivating. :-(

> Can you create an account for me?

Sorry, I can't but I added the row for you.

Kind regards

       Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de

Re: [MoM] QuPath (Was: contribution to Med-debian)

Andreas Tille-5
Hi Nada,

(please stick to Debian Med list)

On Sun, May 07, 2017 at 09:31:28AM +0300, Nada Gh wrote:
> Thanks Andreas.
> Yes, I created an account on alioth :)

Make sure you will be able to `ssh alioth.debian.org`

> What is the next step?

Apply ro be added to Debian Med team (link at end of members list) or
tell me your login name (please note that "-guest" is appended to the
name)

Than follow the advise in Debian Med policy using the debian dir
template.

Hope this helps

    Andreas.

http://fam-tille.de

Re: [MoM] QuPath (Was: contribution to Med-debian)

Nada Gh
Hi Andreas,

I created an account in alioth.
As for ssh, I followed the steps provided in https://wiki.debian.org/Alioth/SSH
When I ssh alioth.debian.org, I got a 'permission denied(publikey' error.
Any suggestion how to solve it?

Regards,
Nada

http://fam-tille.de

On Sun, May 07, 2017 at 07:07:09PM +0300, Nada Gh wrote:
> I created an account in alioth.
> As for ssh, I followed the steps provided in
> https://wiki.debian.org/Alioth/SSH
> When I ssh alioth.debian.org, I got a 'permission denied(publikey' error.
> Any suggestion how to solve it?

Sometimes the clue is simply "waiting".

Kind regards

      Andreas.

http://fam-tille.de

Re: [MoM] QuPath (Was: contribution to Med-debian)

Nada Gh
Hi Andreas,

 "You have to be a member of at least one project to be able to login via ssh. https://alioth.debian.org/users/<my-username> shows the projects you are member of, if any."

Is this the cause of permission denied ?

Thanks,
Nada

On Mon, May 8, 2017 at 1:28 PM, Andreas Tille <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Nada,

On Sun, May 07, 2017 at 07:07:09PM +0300, Nada Gh wrote:
> I created an account in alioth.
> As for ssh, I followed the steps provided in
> https://wiki.debian.org/Alioth/SSH
> When I ssh alioth.debian.org, I got a 'permission denied(publikey' error.
> Any suggestion how to solve it?

Sometimes the clue is simply "waiting".

Kind regards

      Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de

Re: [MoM] QuPath (Was: contribution to Med-debian)

Nada Gh
Hi Andreas,

The problem still persists!.
You mean you will create a new account instead of the previous one?

We can give it a try.

Thanks,
Nada

On Mon, May 8, 2017 at 6:19 PM, Andreas Tille <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

On Mon, May 08, 2017 at 05:26:28PM +0300, Nada Gh wrote:
>  "You have to be a member of at least one project to be able to login via
> ssh. https://alioth.debian.org/users/<my-username> shows the projects you
> are member of, if any."
>
> Is this the cause of permission denied ?

I do not think so but if you would uncover you user name we could verify
by enabling me to add your user name to the Debian Med team.

Kind regards

     Andreas.

http://fam-tille.de

Re: [MoM] QuPath (Was: contribution to Med-debian)

Nada Gh
Hi,

What password can I use to access sudo?
I tried my alioth password but doesn't work!

Regards,
Nada

On Tue, May 9, 2017 at 5:18 AM, Nada Gh <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks Andreas, It works now!

Kind Regards,
Nada

On Tue, May 9, 2017 at 2:57 PM, Andreas Tille <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, May 09, 2017 at 02:33:02PM +0300, Nada Gh wrote:
> nada-guest

This user is now a member of the Debian Med project.

Please try again.  If this does not help please make sure you really
followed literally every single step explained here

   https://wiki.debian.org/Alioth/SSH

If this does not work please continue asking on the list.

Good luck

     Andreas.

On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 05:47:56AM -0700, Nada Gh wrote:

> What password can I use to access sudo?
> I tried my alioth password but doesn't work!

There are no sudo permissions and I never had any need for it.
What do you want to approach?

Kind regards

    Andreas.

http://fam-tille.de

Re: [MoM] QuPath (Was: contribution to Med-debian)

Nada Gh
Hi Andreas,

I'm following the maintainer guide, I came across some commands such as dch, dh_make, ..etc, but they not accessible for me. That's why I asked about sudo.

Thanks,
Nada

On Fri, May 12, 2017 at 03:43:14PM +0300, Nada Gh wrote:
> I'm following the maintainer guide, I came across some commands such as
> dch, dh_make, ..etc, but they not accessible for me. That's why I asked
> about sudo.

There is no point in issuing those commands on alioth.  This should be done
on your local machine and the commands are in the package devscripts.

Kind regards

      Andreas.

http://fam-tille.de

Re: [MoM] QuPath (Was: contribution to Med-debian)

Nada Gh
Hi Andreas,

So, I will use alioth only to upload .deb file?

I downloaded the templates and updated them with the minimum requirements.
When I build the source package using (debuild -us -uc), I had the following error in changelog:
" --DMPT<[hidden email]>`date -R`
dpkg-buildpackage: warning:     debian/changelog(l6): found end of file where expected more change data or trailer
"
What that means?

Thank you,
Nada