cool new UML-Diagram drawing tool: crystal_facet_uml

cool new UML-Diagram drawing tool: crystal_facet_uml

Andreas Warnke
Hello Dear Debian Maintainers,

I am developing a cool UML-Diagram drawing tool ( user-doc: see http://www.andreaswarnke.de/crystal_facet_uml/html/index.html )

I need help in getting this into the debian package list. I already did package it ( result: see https://sourceforge.net/projects/crystal-facet-uml/files/crystal_facet_uml_1.7.1_docbook_for_user_doc/  ) ( information for packaging: see https://github.com/awarnke/crystal_facet_uml/tree/master/package_build/debian_config/debian )

I am aware that this is some work - maybe you find the program interesting enough? Otherwise, maybe you could give me some feedback.

Kind Regards,

Andreas Warnke

If this email went to the wrong mailing list, please tell me.

CCRYSTAL-FACET-UML(1)                                    crystal_facet_uml Command Line                                   CRYSTAL-FACET-UML(1)

NAME
       crystal_facet_uml - creates a set of uml diagrams. crystal_facet_uml ensures consistency of relationships and uml element names
       between different diagrams. crystal_facet_uml exports diagrams in various vector and pixel-based image formats.

SYNOPSIS
       crystal_facet_uml [-u databasefile ]

       crystal_facet_uml {-t | -r} databasefile

       crystal_facet_uml {-h | -v}

DESCRIPTION
       crystal_facet_uml provides a graphical user interface to

       ·   create diagrams

           (use-case, deployment, component, composite-structure, package, class, activity, state, timing, communication, sequence)

       ·   create uml elements

           (actor, system-boundary, use-case, node, component, part, interface, package, class, activity, state, object, artifact, comment,
           requirement)

       ·   move, modify and delete uml elements

       ·   create, modify and delete relationships

           (dependency, association, aggregation, composition, generalization, realization, contains, sync-call, return-call, async-message,
           communication-path, control-flow, object-flow, deployment, manifest, include, extend)

       ·   create, modify and delete features

           (port, field, operation)

       ·   cut, copy, paste uml elements between diagrams

       ·   undo and redo are supported

       ·   multiple windows can show different or same parts of the uml model

       Diagrams are layouted part-automatically:

       ·   The user chooses the relative location of uml elements towards others

       ·   crystal_facet_uml selects the exact locations of uml elements

       ·   The user controls the positions of messages/transitions in sequence and timing diagrams

       ·   crystal_facet_uml auto-layouts relationships in other diagrams

       crystal_facet_uml manages a meta model:

       ·   Diagrams are organized as a tree, similar to a book's table-of-contents

       ·   Uml elements exist only once even if shown in many diagrams

       ·   Relationships and features are consistent between all diagrams

       ·   Diagram-local messages/transitions are supported in scenario-based diagrams

           (sequence, communication, timing)

       crystal_facet_uml exports diagrams as

       ·   vector graphics

           (pdf, ps, svg)

       ·   pixel graphics

           (png)

       ·   textual representation

           (utf-8)

       crystal_facet_uml can also be started from command line to check and repair database files.

OPTIONS
       Without options, the program starts in graphical mode. See crystal_facet_uml_user_documentation.pdf for graphical mode usage.

       -u databasefile
           Starts in graphical mode and opens the databasefile immediately.

       -t databasefile
           Tests the consistency of a databasefile.

       -r databasefile
           Tests the consistency of a databasefile and repairs found issues.

       -h
           Show summary of options.

       -v
           Show version

DIAGNOSTICS
       The following diagnostics may be issued on syslog:

       EVT : ...
           An event occurred.

       ANOM: ...
           Something unexpected happened that was handled.

       WARN: ...
           Something unexpected happened that may cause a failure.

       ERR : ...
           Something unexpected happened that has caused a failure.

       journalctl -f allows to read the syslog.

BUGS
       The upstreams BTS can be found at https://github.com/awarnke/crystal_facet_uml/issues.

AUTHOR
       Andreas Warnke [hidden email]
           wrote this manpage for Unix and Linux systems.

COPYRIGHT
       Copyright © 2018 Andreas Warnke

       This manual page was written for Unix and Linux systems.

       Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the Apache-2.0 License.

crystal_facet_uml                                                 11/20/2018                                             CRYSTAL-FACET-UML(1)

Re: cool new UML-Diagram drawing tool: crystal_facet_uml

Mike Gabriel-4
Hi Andreas,

On  Mi 21 Nov 2018 20:19:36 CET, Andreas Warnke wrote:

> Hello Dear Debian Maintainers,
>
> I am developing a cool UML-Diagram drawing tool ( user-doc: see
> http://www.andreaswarnke.de/crystal_facet_uml/html/index.html )
>
> I need help in getting this into the debian package list. I already
> did package it ( result:
> seehttps://sourceforge.net/projects/crystal-facet-uml/files/crystal_facet_uml_1.7.1_docbook_for_user_doc/ ) ( information for packaging: see https://github.com/awarnke/crystal_facet_uml/tree/master/package_build/debian_config/debian
> )
>
> I am aware that this is some work - maybe you find the program
> interesting enough? Otherwise, maybe you could give me some feedback.
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> Andreas Warnke
I can take a look over the next couple of days. If you haven't heard
back from me Wednesday next week, please ping me again.

Unless somone from the pkg-dia-team wants to chime in and take over...

Greets,
Mike (from Debian Edu team)
--

DAS-NETZWERKTEAM
mike gabriel, herweg 7, 24357 fleckeby

GnuPG Fingerprint: 9BFB AEE8 6C0A A5FF BF22  0782 9AF4 6B30 2577 1B31
mail: [hidden email], http://das-netzwerkteam.de

Re: cool new UML-Diagram drawing tool: crystal_facet_uml

Petter Reinholdtsen
[Andreas Warnke]
> Hello Dear Debian Maintainers,
>
> I am developing a cool UML-Diagram drawing tool ( user-doc: see
> http://www.andreaswarnke.de/crystal_facet_uml/html/index.html )

This seem interesting for a specification document I am involved in
polishing.  What kind of input formats can it read?  I tried to find out
from reading the documentation, but it was not mentioned there.

--
Happy hacking
Petter Reinholdtsen

Re: cool new UML-Diagram drawing tool: crystal_facet_uml

Andreas Warnke
Hello Petter,

Thank you for asking!
Maybe you would expect something like XMI:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XML_Metadata_Interchange

But there is no such thing. Right now you start with an empty document
and add one diagram after the other (using the GUI).

Nonetheless, the question is good: This is definitely a feature to think
about; my todo list did not cover this til now:
https://github.com/awarnke/crystal_facet_uml/blob/master/todo.txt

Andreas

Am 21.11.18 um 22:37 schrieb Petter Reinholdtsen:
> [Andreas Warnke]
>> Hello Dear Debian Maintainers,
>>
>> I am developing a cool UML-Diagram drawing tool ( user-doc: see
>> http://www.andreaswarnke.de/crystal_facet_uml/html/index.html )
> This seem interesting for a specification document I am involved in
> polishing.  What kind of input formats can it read?  I tried to find out
> from reading the documentation, but it was not mentioned there.

Re: cool new UML-Diagram drawing tool: crystal_facet_uml

Petter Reinholdtsen
[Andreas Warnke]
> Hello Petter,
>
> Thank you for asking!
> Maybe you would expect something like XMI:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XML_Metadata_Interchange

Perhaps.  We need some platform independent storage format, because a
Linux only solution is not going to work in this project.  We have not
landed how to handle the UML drawings yet, but a Linux only solution
would be dead on arrival.

CC to the dia maintainer instead of
[hidden email], as the latter is no working email
address.

--
Happy hacking
Petter Reinholdtsen

Re: cool new UML-Diagram drawing tool: crystal_facet_uml

Andreas Warnke
Hello Petter,

In principle crystal_facet_uml is as portable as the underlying GTK
library. But porting and packaging is some work and not the top-prio
right now for me.
Currently I would like to focus more on changing the order of
class-attributes, class-methods, component-ports and diagram-lists.

Andreas

Am 22.11.18 um 20:55 schrieb Petter Reinholdtsen:

> [Andreas Warnke]
>> Hello Petter,
>>
>> Thank you for asking!
>> Maybe you would expect something like XMI:
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XML_Metadata_Interchange
> Perhaps.  We need some platform independent storage format, because a
> Linux only solution is not going to work in this project.  We have not
> landed how to handle the UML drawings yet, but a Linux only solution
> would be dead on arrival.
>
> CC to the dia maintainer instead of
> [hidden email], as the latter is no working email
> address.

Re: cool new UML-Diagram drawing tool: crystal_facet_uml

Andreas Warnke

Hello Mike,

This is the "ping" you asked for ;-)

There is no need for hurry - but maybe you already have some comments?

Andreas

Am 21.11.18 um 21:09 schrieb Mike Gabriel:

> Hi Andreas,
>
> On  Mi 21 Nov 2018 20:19:36 CET, Andreas Warnke wrote:
>
>> Hello Dear Debian Maintainers,
>>
>> I am developing a cool UML-Diagram drawing tool ( user-doc: see
>> http://www.andreaswarnke.de/crystal_facet_uml/html/index.html )
>>
>> I need help in getting this into the debian package list. I already
>> did package it ( result:
>> seehttps://sourceforge.net/projects/crystal-facet-uml/files/crystal_facet_uml_1.7.1_docbook_for_user_doc/
>> ) ( information for packaging: see
>> https://github.com/awarnke/crystal_facet_uml/tree/master/package_build/debian_config/debian
>> )
>>
>> I am aware that this is some work - maybe you find the program
>> interesting enough? Otherwise, maybe you could give me some feedback.
>>
>> Kind Regards,
>>
>> Andreas Warnke
>
> I can take a look over the next couple of days. If you haven't heard
> back from me Wednesday next week, please ping me again.
>
> Unless somone from the pkg-dia-team wants to chime in and take over...
>
> Greets,
> Mike (from Debian Edu team)

Re: cool new UML-Diagram drawing tool: crystal_facet_uml

Andreas Warnke
Hello dear SW-Architecture-interested,

The UML drawing tool crystal_facet_uml is available for linux - and now also running on windows and wine.

Enjoy.
Andreas

Download links for binary packages (Win+Linux) are: