[covid] New Contributor for biohackathon

[covid] New Contributor for biohackathon

fancycade
Hi there!

I would like to help out with the efforts of the biohackathon. Sadly I see I missed the jitsi meetings. I was busy making my first debian package. I have a pretty good understanding of the debian policy, but I'm sure there is room for improvement.

I was following the need for packaging the CHIME project which requires the streamlit package. After taking a look at the dependencies for streamlit I saw there were only a few missing packages. One of them being validators. Since this was a simple python module, I figured it would be a good first package to try my hand.

I have submitted an ITP to the bug tracker

And have a building package on salsa:

At this point I think I need a review and someone to sponsor it. I have also submitted a request to join the Debian Python Modules team, but have not gotten a reply yet.

Thanks!

- Harley Swick

Re: [covid] New Contributor for biohackathon

Olek Wojnar-9
Hi Harley and welcome to the effort!

On Wed, Apr 8, 2020 at 10:42 PM fancycade <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi there!

I would like to help out with the efforts of the biohackathon. Sadly I see I missed the jitsi meetings. I was busy making my first debian package. I have a pretty good understanding of the debian policy, but I'm sure there is room for improvement.

You can join us every day at 15:00 UTC! :)  You can also join us on IRC in #debian-med on irc.debian.org.

I was following the need for packaging the CHIME project which requires the streamlit package. After taking a look at the dependencies for streamlit I saw there were only a few missing packages. One of them being validators. Since this was a simple python module, I figured it would be a good first package to try my hand.

Great, thanks!

I have submitted an ITP to the bug tracker

And have a building package on salsa:

At this point I think I need a review and someone to sponsor it. I have also submitted a request to join the Debian Python Modules team, but have not gotten a reply yet.

Let me send an email to the Python Modules team and see if they want help reviewing this. If so, since Python has not been kind to me recently, I'll see if another member of the team can get that reviewed for you.

Thanks!

Thanks for your contribution!

-Olek

Fwd: [covid] New Contributor for biohackathon

Olek Wojnar-9
Dear DPMT members,

You may be aware that the Debian Med team is in the middle of a biohackathon [1] to provide better FOSS tools to the medical community for their work on the COVID-19 pandemic. We just had a new contributor package a Python module that we need for one of our packages. Since time is of the essence in these efforts, would you be willing/able to accept this package under your team and do a quick review? If you are unable to do a quick review, would you agree to have one of the DDs on the Debian Med team review the package and upload it with you as the maintainer? Thanks in advance for anything that you can do to support our efforts!

-Olek

PS I am subscribed to Debian Med but not to Debian Python

- Harley Swick

Re: Fwd: [covid] New Contributor for biohackathon

Scott Kitterman-5
On Wednesday, April 8, 2020 11:56:22 PM EDT Olek Wojnar wrote:

> Dear DPMT members,
>
> You may be aware that the Debian Med team is in the middle of a
> biohackathon [1] to provide better FOSS tools to the medical community for
> their work on the COVID-19 pandemic. We just had a new contributor package
> a Python module that we need for one of our packages. Since time is of the
> essence in these efforts, would you be willing/able to accept this package
> under your team and do a quick review? If you are unable to do a quick
> review, would you agree to have one of the DDs on the Debian Med team
> review the package and upload it with you as the maintainer? Thanks in
> advance for anything that you can do to support our efforts!
>
> -Olek
>
> PS I am subscribed to Debian Med but not to Debian Python
>
> [1]
> https://salsa.debian.org/med-team/community/2020-covid19-hackathon/-/wikis/C
> ovid-19-hackathon
I took care of the request, so they are in the team now and can push the
package to the team repo.  Once that's done they can request sponsorship via
our usual process (either RFS mail to [hidden email] or put the name of
the package in /topic on #debian-python).  The team is usually pretty
responsive about sponsoring.

I will try to stay away from sponsoring it since if I do that, I won't be able
to process it through New.

Scott K

Hi Scott,

On Thu, Apr 9, 2020 at 12:43 AM Scott Kitterman <[hidden email]> wrote:

I took care of the request, so they are in the team now and can push the
package to the team repo.  Once that's done they can request sponsorship via
our usual process (either RFS mail to [hidden email] or put the name of
the package in /topic on #debian-python).  The team is usually pretty
responsive about sponsoring.

Great, thanks! (Harley, please let us know if you have any questions about how to do that)

I will try to stay away from sponsoring it since if I do that, I won't be able
to process it through New.

And we definitely want and appreciate you doing that! :)

-Olek

Thanks to Olek and Scott and for sure all other contributors (Was: Fwd: [covid] New Contributor for biohackathon)

Andreas Tille-2
Hi,

currently I'm experiencing a situation which I described in several
of my talks[1]:

  For me a team means:

  Waking up in the morning and realising that somebody else has solved
  your problem from yesterday.

Thanks a lot to all who contributed and let me enjoy my sleep at night

      Andreas.

PS: I took the freedom to add more items for Olek, Scott and also for
    my wife who is tolerant all the time to let me work for the
    sprint even on weekends and holidays.

    https://salsa.debian.org/med-team/community/2020-covid19-hackathon/-/wikis/Covid-19-hackathon

[1] https://people.debian.org/~tille/talks/20200208_debian-med-sprint/sprints+mentoring.pdf#page=26
    (I've re-used that slide frequently :-)

http://fam-tille.de

On 4/9/20 7:37 PM, fancycade wrote:
> Thank you for the assistance with this!
>
> I have uploaded my package to the appropriate repository under the
> Python Modules team and will reach out for a RFS.

Great, thanks for your contribution!

-Olek

Re: Fwd: [covid] New Contributor for biohackathon

Emmanuel Arias-3
Hello everybody,

I am available to help. I will be working on the TODO list [0].