dame_gender

David Arroyo Menendez

Hello,

I'm writing dame_gender (a gender detection tool). It's useful measuring
gender gap.

In the current state of development may be
useful as one interface to the main apis to detect gender from a name
(genderapi, genderguesser, namsor, ...) or as a free software
alternative build from nltk and scikit.

If you are interested on using it. You can clone
it and/or ask me about the installation.

https://github.com/davidam/damegender

Thanks!

--
https://cienciabasura.wordpress.com/
http://libremanuals.net/

Re: dame_gender

J.M. Faer
What’s the point of this? This excludes non-binary, agender, and other gender non-conforming individuals. It just doesn’t seem like very useful data.

> On Dec 29, 2018, at 12:45 PM, David Arroyo Menendez <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Hello,
>
> I'm writing dame_gender (a gender detection tool). It's useful measuring
> gender gap.
>
> In the current state of development may be
> useful as one interface to the main apis to detect gender from a name
> (genderapi, genderguesser, namsor, ...) or as a free software
> alternative build from nltk and scikit.
>
> If you are interested on using it. You can clone
> it and/or ask me about the installation.
>
> https://github.com/davidam/damegender
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> https://cienciabasura.wordpress.com/
> http://libremanuals.net/

Re: dame_gender

David Arroyo Menendez
"J.M. Faer" <[hidden email]> writes:

> What’s the point of this? This excludes non-binary, agender, and other gender non-conforming individuals. It just doesn’t seem like very useful data.

Yes, the current state of development is so. I've plans to give a
probability by gender, for instance, from national statistics such as
INE.es

Thanks for the feedback.

--
https://cienciabasura.wordpress.com/
http://libremanuals.net/

Re: dame_gender

Ana Valdés
My thought was just the same why develop a software aimed to identify gender when gender is ending to be a classifiable cathegory? We are developing towards a “genderless” society seeing as gender is being flexible and a matter of choice.
Ana

lör 29 dec. 2018 kl. 22:46 skrev David Arroyo Menendez <[hidden email]>:
"J.M. Faer" <[hidden email]> writes:

> What’s the point of this? This excludes non-binary, agender, and other gender non-conforming individuals. It just doesn’t seem like very useful data.

Yes, the current state of development is so. I've plans to give a
probability by gender, for instance, from national statistics such as
INE.es

Thanks for the feedback.

--
https://cienciabasura.wordpress.com/
http://libremanuals.net/

--

cell Sweden +4670-3213370
cell Uruguay +598-99470758

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long to return.
— Leonardo da Vinci

Re: dame_gender

David Arroyo Menendez

To measure the discrimination of women from a quantitative point of view,
we need determine if the commiter is a female or not. So, you can count
pull request accepted, percentages of women in free software projects,
etc.

Regards.

--
https://cienciabasura.wordpress.com/
http://libremanuals.net/

Re: dame_gender

Daniel Barrientos M.
Then it's a sex identifier more than a gender identifier.

I speak spanish. If I can help you with anything (non-technical), send me an e-mail.

Enviado desde ProtonMail móvil

--
https://cienciabasura.wordpress.com/
http://libremanuals.net/

Re: dame_gender

David Arroyo Menéndez
Wishing improve in gender equity in the internal of the project, I want request collaboration (not remunerated) of a woman to generate a Docker virtual machine for Damegender. It was a pull request done by a Python Barcelona member, but it's not maintained.

For more information about Damegender:

--
https://cienciabasura.wordpress.com/
http://libremanuals.net/

David Arroyo Menéndez
http://www.davidam.com

Re: dame_gender

Mariana Meireles
Hey David,

That's a very cool project.
Is this project being mentored? What are the requirements to join?

Stay safe!
Best,

-mariana meireles

-mariana meireles

Re: dame_gender

J.M. Faer
No, no, no. You’re looking for a woman’s free labor for an inherently, irreparably sexist and transphobic project.

Let me reiterate and expand on my earlier statement: this tool does not account for gender nonconforming individuals, and erases trans people who are closeted. This will not help tech’s diversity problem, this will only perpetuate it.

The only useful data to be gathered from contributors’ names are the contributors’ names.

You cannot tell someone’s gender by their name.

Before continuing with this project, I recommend you do more research on the topic of gender. There are many existing writings on this topic from transgender and gender noncomforming people, just waiting for you to learn and grow from them.

Please remove me from future replies.

Thanks.

--
https://cienciabasura.wordpress.com/
http://libremanuals.net/

David Arroyo Menéndez
http://www.davidam.com

Re: dame_gender

David Arroyo Menendez

Hello Mariana,

I am glad to hear you. I am the only active developer, you can write me
with your ideas or send me pull requests. I've written a suggestion in
my Twitter account
https://twitter.com/davidam9/status/1245721389329518596. But you can
suggest anything. If you have not ideas, but you can collaborate I can
give you a list of TODOs to start in the project.

Thanks in advance.

--
https://cienciabasura.wordpress.com/
http://libremanuals.net/

Re: dame_gender

David Arroyo Menendez

Thanks for the feedback.

We are trying make a free replacement for genderapi, namsor, nameapi,
genderize, ... This tools are called gender detection from name.

We are giving a probability of success about male or female, because
some identities are not male or female with 100% of truth. We respect
choose nicknames to hide identity, although our work is give a response
with a probability, so we are using machine learning for this work.

Regards

--
https://cienciabasura.wordpress.com/
http://libremanuals.net/

Re: dame_gender

J.M. Faer
And what I’m saying is that there are more than two genders in this world, and you are trying to use machine learning to erase anyone who is not male or female.

The entire concept of gender detection by name is bunk.

> On Apr 4, 2020, at 9:05 AM, David Arroyo Menendez <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Thanks for the feedback.
>
> We are trying make a free replacement for genderapi, namsor, nameapi,
> genderize, ... This tools are called gender detection from name.
>
> We are giving a probability of success about male or female, because
> some identities are not male or female with 100% of truth. We respect
> choose nicknames to hide identity, although our work is give a response
> with a probability, so we are using machine learning for this work.
>
> Regards
>
> "J. M. Faer" <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> [1:text/plain Hide]
>>
>> No, no, no. You’re looking for a woman’s free labor for an inherently, irreparably sexist and transphobic project.
>>
>> Let me reiterate and expand on my earlier statement: this tool does not account for gender nonconforming individuals, and erases trans people who are closeted. This will not help tech’s diversity problem, this will only perpetuate it.
>>
>> The only useful data to be gathered from contributors’ names are the contributors’ names.
>>
>> You cannot tell someone’s gender by their name.
>>
>> Before continuing with this project, I recommend you do more research on the topic of gender. There are many existing writings on this topic from transgender and gender noncomforming people, just waiting for you to learn and grow from them.
>>
>> Please remove me from future replies.
>>
>> Thanks.

>>> Wishing improve in gender equity in the internal of the project, I want request collaboration (not remunerated) of a woman to generate a Docker virtual machine for Damegender.
>>>
>>> It was a pull request done by a Python Barcelona member, but it's not maintained.
>>>
>>> For more information about Damegender:
>>> + http://www.damegender.net
>>> + https://github.com/davidam/damegender
>>> + https://pypi.org/project/damegender/

Re: dame_gender

Miriam Ruiz-4

El sáb., 4 abr. 2020 a las 19:06, J. M. Faer (<[hidden email]>) escribió:
> And what I’m saying is that there are more than two genders in this world, and you are trying to use machine learning to erase anyone who is not male or female.
> The entire concept of gender detection by name is bunk.

While it is okay to disagree with someone else's projects, goals or
ideas, and to be verbose about it, in my opinion we're getting quite
close to being unacceptably unpolite here.

Greetings,
Miry

Re: dame_gender

David Arroyo Menendez
"J. M. Faer" <[hidden email]> writes:

> And what I’m saying is that there are more than two genders in this world, and you are trying to use machine learning to erase anyone who is not male or female.
>
> The entire concept of gender detection by name is bunk.

I understand your idea. My idea is to give a free replacement to a
commercial solution making a research work. You are free to use or not.

Thanks for the feedback

--
https://cienciabasura.wordpress.com/
http://libremanuals.net/

Re: dame_gender

Saiph Savage
The project being proposed is sexist and transphobic. You can’t be polite.

 Kudos to J.M Faer for raising a voice.  We would not normalize that these types of projects are acceptable.

Sent from my iphone

Re: dame_gender

Jessica Clarke
On 4 Apr 2020, at 22:48, Saiph Savage <[hidden email]> wrote:

The project being proposed is sexist and transphobic. You can’t be polite.

 Kudos to J.M Faer for raising a voice.  We would not normalize that these types of projects are acceptable.

You can raise your voice and disagree wholeheartedly whilst still being polite.
Even if someone is a huge bigot that doesn't give you free rein to be rude, as
tempting and justifiable as it *feels*.

Jess

On Sat, Apr 4, 2020 at 1:59 PM Miriam Ruiz <[hidden email]> wrote:
El vie., 3 abr. 2020 a las 15:42, J. M. Faer (<[hidden email]>) escribió:
> No, no, no. You’re looking for a woman’s free labor for an inherently, irreparably sexist and transphobic project.

El sáb., 4 abr. 2020 a las 19:06, J. M. Faer (<[hidden email]>) escribió:
> And what I’m saying is that there are more than two genders in this world, and you are trying to use machine learning to erase anyone who is not male or female.
> The entire concept of gender detection by name is bunk.

While it is okay to disagree with someone else's projects, goals or
ideas, and to be verbose about it, in my opinion we're getting quite
close to being unacceptably unpolite here.

Greetings,
Miry

Sent from my iphone

Re: dame_gender

Miriam Ruiz-4
El sáb., 4 abr. 2020 a las 23:53, Jessica Clarke (<[hidden email]>) escribió:

> On 4 Apr 2020, at 22:48, Saiph Savage <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> The project being proposed is sexist and transphobic. You can’t be polite.
>
>  Kudos to J.M Faer for raising a voice.  We would not normalize that these types of projects are acceptable.
>
> You can raise your voice and disagree wholeheartedly whilst still being polite.
> Even if someone is a huge bigot that doesn't give you free rein to be rude, as
> tempting and justifiable as it *feels*.

Debian Code of Conduct: https://www.debian.org/code_of_conduct.en.html

Greetings,
Miry

Re: dame_gender

Saiph Savage
Could you clarify, why you consider the behavior of J.M Faer to be impolite?

I think it is important to raise a voice against projects that are sexist and transphobic. That is not being impolite. Staying silent is enabling the problem. We need to speak up when we see projects that are problematic for certain populations.
 I like this related quote from Christopher Hitchens:

"In an average day, you may be confronted by some species of bullying or bigotry, or some ill-phrased appeal to the general will, or some petty abuse of authority. Everybody devises tactics for such moments; try behaving as if they need not be tolerated and are not inevitable."

On Sat, Apr 4, 2020 at 6:02 PM Miriam Ruiz <[hidden email]> wrote:
El sáb., 4 abr. 2020 a las 23:53, Jessica Clarke (<[hidden email]>) escribió:

> On 4 Apr 2020, at 22:48, Saiph Savage <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> The project being proposed is sexist and transphobic. You can’t be polite.
>
>  Kudos to J.M Faer for raising a voice.  We would not normalize that these types of projects are acceptable.
>
> You can raise your voice and disagree wholeheartedly whilst still being polite.
> Even if someone is a huge bigot that doesn't give you free rein to be rude, as
> tempting and justifiable as it *feels*.

Debian Code of Conduct: https://www.debian.org/code_of_conduct.en.html

Greetings,
Miry

--
Saiph Savage

Re: dame_gender

Elana Hashman-3
> El sáb., 4 abr. 2020 a las 23:53, Jessica Clarke (<[hidden email]>) escribió:
> >
> > You can raise your voice and disagree wholeheartedly whilst still being polite.
> > Even if someone is a huge bigot that doesn't give you free rein to be rude, as
> > tempting and justifiable as it *feels*.

This is tone policing, and I would like to request that members on the
list stop engaging in it: http://www.robot-hugs.com/2016/01/tone-policing/

On Sun, Apr 05, 2020 at 12:02:05AM +0200, Miriam Ruiz wrote:

> Debian Code of Conduct: https://www.debian.org/code_of_conduct.en.html

Any code of conduct that does not distinguish between harm done to a
marginalized group and the response to that harm is ineffective.

As for the software in question, slapping a free license on an unethical
project does not make it ethical. To the original poster: a number of
people have pointed out your project does harm. Doing harm under a GPL
license does not make it any better.

- e

Re: dame_gender

Jessica Clarke
On 4 Apr 2020, at 23:16, Elana Hashman <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> El sáb., 4 abr. 2020 a las 23:53, Jessica Clarke (<[hidden email]>) escribió:
>>>
>>> You can raise your voice and disagree wholeheartedly whilst still being polite.
>>> Even if someone is a huge bigot that doesn't give you free rein to be rude, as
>>> tempting and justifiable as it *feels*.
>
> This is tone policing, and I would like to request that members on the
> list stop engaging in it: http://www.robot-hugs.com/2016/01/tone-policing/

No, it's not. Tone policing is about requiring you to remain calm. All we are
trying to say (and what the Code of Conduct that you are required to follow
says) is that you must be respectful towards people. Moreover, Miry was *not*
saying that the line *had* been crossed, she said that we're getting "quite
close". Emotion is allowed. Just don't attack people, as per the CoC. Besides,
being trans, I am not speaking from a position of privilege in this particular
context, not that I think it even matters here.

Jess

12