Quantcast

debian-installer now available in Ports

John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
Hi!

Thanks to the recent efforts within the Debian Ports projects, debian-installer
is finally available for the Debian Ports architectures [1]. Previously, the
installer images had to be built manually because building on the buildds always
required a testing repository to be available for a given architecture. With
the latest release of debian-installer, the build falls back to the unstable
and unreleased repositories for the required udebs.

The generated d-i images for powerpc, kfreebsd-* and hurd-i386 can be found here:

> ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/sid/main/installer-$ARCH

For the remaining Ports architectures:

> http://ftp.ports.debian.org/debian-ports/pool-$ARCH/main/d/debian-installer/

Now, since the process of building installer images no longer requires manual
intervention, the process for building CD images has been simplified as
well, still requires some manual work.

Thus, I was wondering whether any volunteers would be willing to help building
ISO images for the various architectures. A rough guide can be found in [2]
from which the the d-i part can be omitted, however, a local mirror available
through the filesystem is still necessary (see MIRROR in CONF.sh). So, reprepro
needs to be used to set up a local mirror or the remote mirror needs to be
mounted with a FUSE module or similar.

In order to use the debian-installer images for building CD images, they have
to be downloaded and extracted (for the remaining Ports architectures above)
and placed into the directory pointed to by DI_DIR in the easy-build.sh
script, e.g.: export DI_DIR="/srv/d-i/debian-installer/installer/build/tmp/cdrom/.

Would be great if we could get several people work on this and create ISOs
for alpha, hppa, powerpc, ppc64 and so on. Please note: It's not necessary
to run debian-cd on the same architecture as the target architecture of
the ISO images. Hence, using an amd64 host should be fine.

Thanks,
Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz

Re: debian-installer now available in Ports

Steven Chamberlain
Hello,

John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> Thus, I was wondering whether any volunteers would be willing to help building
> ISO images for the various architectures.

I'm already doing this for kfreebsd-amd64, but only the jessie-kfreebsd
suite:
http://jenkins.kfreebsd.eu/jenkins/view/cd/job/debian-cd_jessie-kfreebsd/lastBuild/console
and I had to patch debian-cd before it worked.  (Didn't yet find time to
file bugs or submit those patches).

I could probably set up similar jobs for kfreebsd-* sid now.

> It's not necessary to run debian-cd on the same architecture as the
> target architecture of the ISO images.

I did not even realise that.  So I will add kfreebsd-i386 next.

I expect there might be problems trying to build linux arches from a
kfreebsd host.  But we should try to find out, and then maybe fix it.

Steven Chamberlain

Re: debian-installer now available in Ports

Samuel Thibault-8
Steven Chamberlain, on mer. 12 avril 2017 13:55:08 +0100, wrote:
> I expect there might be problems trying to build linux arches from a
> kfreebsd host.  But we should try to find out, and then maybe fix it.

FWIW, I have been building hurd-i386 images from a linux box for a long
time without problems.

Samuel

Re: debian-installer now available in Ports

Steve McIntyre
On Wed, Apr 12, 2017 at 01:55:08PM +0100, Steven Chamberlain wrote:
>John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
>> Thus, I was wondering whether any volunteers would be willing to help building
>> ISO images for the various architectures.
>
>I'm already doing this for kfreebsd-amd64, but only the jessie-kfreebsd
>suite:
>http://jenkins.kfreebsd.eu/jenkins/view/cd/job/debian-cd_jessie-kfreebsd/lastBuild/console
>and I had to patch debian-cd before it worked.  (Didn't yet find time to
>file bugs or submit those patches).

Please post them!

>I could probably set up similar jobs for kfreebsd-* sid now.
>
>> It's not necessary to run debian-cd on the same architecture as the
>> target architecture of the ISO images.

Exactly. There are sometimes difficulties with the tools needed to set
up boot files etc., but they tend to be portable.

>I did not even realise that.  So I will add kfreebsd-i386 next.
>
>I expect there might be problems trying to build linux arches from a
>kfreebsd host.  But we should try to find out, and then maybe fix it.

We were happily building kfreebsd-* images from a Linux host, so I'd
expect it to work OK.

I've offered before: I don't have the time personally to work on
building ports images, but I'm more than happy to help other people
getting them building on our official infrastructure...

--
Steve McIntyre, Cambridge, UK.                                [hidden email]
Who needs computer imagery when you've got Brian Blessed?

Re: debian-installer now available in Ports

Luigi Burdo

Thanks for the great news!

Luigi

Da: John Paul Adrian Glaubitz <[hidden email]>

Hi!

Thanks to the recent efforts within the Debian Ports projects, debian-installer
is finally available for the Debian Ports architectures [1]. Previously, the
installer images had to be built manually because building on the buildds always
required a testing repository to be available for a given architecture. With
the latest release of debian-installer, the build falls back to the unstable
and unreleased repositories for the required udebs.

The generated d-i images for powerpc, kfreebsd-* and hurd-i386 can be found here:

> ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/sid/main/installer-$ARCH

For the remaining Ports architectures:

> http://ftp.ports.debian.org/debian-ports/pool-$ARCH/main/d/debian-installer/

Now, since the process of building installer images no longer requires manual
intervention, the process for building CD images has been simplified as
well, still requires some manual work.

Thus, I was wondering whether any volunteers would be willing to help building
ISO images for the various architectures. A rough guide can be found in [2]
from which the the d-i part can be omitted, however, a local mirror available
through the filesystem is still necessary (see MIRROR in CONF.sh). So, reprepro
needs to be used to set up a local mirror or the remote mirror needs to be
mounted with a FUSE module or similar.

In order to use the debian-installer images for building CD images, they have
to be downloaded and extracted (for the remaining Ports architectures above)
and placed into the directory pointed to by DI_DIR in the easy-build.sh
script, e.g.: export DI_DIR="/srv/d-i/debian-installer/installer/build/tmp/cdrom/.

Would be great if we could get several people work on this and create ISOs
for alpha, hppa, powerpc, ppc64 and so on. Please note: It's not necessary
to run debian-cd on the same architecture as the target architecture of
the ISO images. Hence, using an amd64 host should be fine.

Thanks,
Adrian

Re: debian-installer now available in Ports

Jonathan Haack
I would be willing to help with ppc and ppc64.  I am just a self-trained sysadmin, however, so I cannot guarantee it will be quick or easy, but I use ppc machines as project machines all the time and so I want to help.  I will read the resources below.  Please email me next steps.

Jonathan

On Apr 12, 2017, at 6:40 AM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

`. `'   Freie Universitaet Berlin - [hidden email]
 `-    GPG: 62FF 8A75 84E0 2956 9546  0006 7426 3B37 F5B5 F913

Re: debian-installer now available in Ports

Steven Chamberlain
I've set up some additional jobs at
http://jenkins.kfreebsd.eu/jenkins/view/cd/

and after much trial-and-error, there are now (untested) sid netinst
images built for:
    hurd-i386 kfreebsd-amd64 kfreebsd-i386 powerpc

You can find the .iso images within each job's workspace e.g.:
http://jenkins.kfreebsd.eu/jenkins/view/cd/job/debian-cd_sid_hurd-i386/ws/build/

It's building on a kfreebsd-amd64 host, in a jessie-kfreebsd chroot,
with current Git master of debian-cd, my patches for #860187 and
#860204 applied, and the attached diff against CONF.sh.  I started each
build like this:

$ export CODENAME=sid
$ export ARCHES=hurd-i386
$ CONF.sh && ./build.sh

Steven Chamberlain
[hidden email]

CONF.sh.diff (4K) Download Attachment

Re: debian-installer now available in Ports

John Paul Adrian Glaubitz

Re: debian-installer now available in Ports

Linux User #330250
Am 2017-04-13 um 09:09 schrieb John Paul Adrian Glaubitz:

> On 04/12/2017 09:34 PM, Steven Chamberlain wrote:
>> You can find the .iso images within each job's workspace e.g.: http://jenkins.kfreebsd.eu/jenkins/view/cd/job/debian-cd_sid_hurd-i386/ws/build/
> Ok, great. So, powerpc users have a way of performing an installation with
> up-to-date images - since some people were already asking.
>
> Anyone here on the debian-powerpc mailing list could test the images?
>
>> http://jenkins.kfreebsd.eu/jenkins/view/cd/job/debian-cd_sid_powerpc/ws/

I burned a CD-R with it and tested booting it on my Power Mac G4
Quicksilver (2001, Dual). I chose "expert" at the prompt. All seems to
be working.

The graphics card is a Mac-flashed Nvidia GeForce 6200 (NV44A),
connected via DVI. Text mode installation seems to be accellerated and
in high (native to the monitor?) resolution.

I cannot, however, choose a mirror. Is this due to unstable?

I used manual partitioning. This is the last Power Mac that is limited
to LBA-28. I used a 250 GB IDE HDD, so I am above this limit. I am not
sure if the automated partitioning will work around this?

When it came to choose packages to install, the installer only provided
a default taskset. I would have liked to choose a desktop taskset.

Anyway, after the installation, the system is bootable with yaboot and
seems to work. "apt update" doesn't, seems to lack a source. mirrorselect?!?

One suggestion for further improvement: on an older installation I had
used before powerpc was dropped (Debian 7.x, then testing) I was able to
get grub2 running. It would be an idea to have grub2 as an alternative
to yaboot during installation.

> Thanks,
> Adrian

Welcome! And also big thanks for not abandoning powerpc!

Re: debian-installer now available in Ports

Mathieu Malaterre-4
On Fri, Apr 14, 2017 at 10:04 AM, Linux User #330250
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> One suggestion for further improvement: on an older installation I had used
> before powerpc was dropped (Debian 7.x, then testing) I was able to get
> grub2 running. It would be an idea to have grub2 as an alternative to yaboot
> during installation.

Hum, is this a regression from:

https://bugs.debian.org/664128

Did you really create manually '/boot/grub' partition ? I believe
there will still be some manual steps since this is not a PRep machine
but should get you almost there.

-M

Re: debian-installer now available in Ports

John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
Hello!

On 04/14/2017 10:04 AM, Linux User #330250 wrote:
> I burned a CD-R with it and tested booting it on my Power Mac G4 Quicksilver (2001, Dual).
> I chose "expert" at the prompt. All seems to be working.

Great!

> The graphics card is a Mac-flashed Nvidia GeForce 6200 (NV44A), connected via DVI. Text mode
> installation seems to be accellerated and in high (native to the
> monitor?) resolution.

Sounds good.

> I cannot, however, choose a mirror. Is this due to unstable?

Yes, the choose-mirror package currently doesn't support unstable [1]. You can easily enter a normal
mirror URL like "ftp.debian.org" and "debian/" as a sub-directory and it should work.

> I used manual partitioning. This is the last Power Mac that is limited to LBA-28. I used a 250 GB
> IDE HDD, so I am above this limit. I am not sure if the automated partitioning will work around this?

This probably applies to OpenFirmware only while the kernel uses its own code to access block devices,
so I think it shouldn't matter. I have used large disks on my Amiga with Linux without any problems
as well even though AmigaOS natively supports up to 2 GiB only if I remember correctly.

> When it came to choose packages to install, the installer only provided a default taskset. I would have
> liked to choose a desktop taskset.

Yes, this is also a result of the installation target being "unstable".

> Anyway, after the installation, the system is bootable with yaboot and seems to work. "apt update" doesn't
> seems to lack a source. mirrorselect?!?

You will have to add unstable to your /etc/apt/sources.list manually. It's most likely related to
"choose-mirror" not supporting unstable.

> One suggestion for further improvement: on an older installation I had used before powerpc was dropped
> (Debian 7.x, then testing) I was able to get grub2 running. It would be an idea to have grub2 as an
> alternative to yaboot during installation.

It's possible to add support for that. We're planning to do the same thing for sparc64 but the patches
for sparc64 support haven't been merged in GRUB yet, neither in Debian nor upstream. But it will come.

Does anyone know how well supported GRUB on powerpc is? Does it support all PPC Macs or only newer
ones, e

> Welcome! And also big thanks for not abandoning powerpc!

You're welcome. This has been a joint effort of many people within Debian, especially in Debian Ports!

Support for more unofficial architectures like alpha, hppa, m68k, ppc64, sh4 and more is in the works.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz

Re: debian-installer now available in Ports

Mathieu Malaterre-4
On Fri, Apr 14, 2017 at 10:25 AM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Does anyone know how well supported GRUB on powerpc is? Does it support all PPC Macs or only newer
> ones, e

OldWorld will not work:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-grub/2015-03/msg00072.html

NewWorld are supposed to work. So the question is: does anyone still
has an OldWorld ?

On 04/14/2017 11:05 AM, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
>> Does anyone know how well supported GRUB on powerpc is? Does it support all PPC Macs or only newer
>> ones, e
>
> OldWorld will not work:
>
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-grub/2015-03/msg00072.html

Yeah, I was actually about to ask whether the criteria would be a NewWorld
machine, but for some reason I didn't finish my sentence :O.

> NewWorld are supposed to work. So the question is: does anyone still
> has an OldWorld ?

I tried installing on a PB3400 a while ago - didn't work, there are issues [1].

However, I'm not ruling out that other OldWorld machines work, so we could
just try detecting the machine type in debian-installer and enable GRUB
for the NewWorld machines only.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz

Re: debian-installer now available in Ports

Mathieu Malaterre-4
On Fri, Apr 14, 2017 at 11:14 AM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 04/14/2017 11:05 AM, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
>>> Does anyone know how well supported GRUB on powerpc is? Does it support all PPC Macs or only newer
>>> ones, e
>>
>> OldWorld will not work:
>>
>> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-grub/2015-03/msg00072.html
>
> Yeah, I was actually about to ask whether the criteria would be a NewWorld
> machine, but for some reason I didn't finish my sentence :O.
>
>> NewWorld are supposed to work. So the question is: does anyone still
>> has an OldWorld ?
>
> I tried installing on a PB3400 a while ago - didn't work, there are issues [1].
>
> However, I'm not ruling out that other OldWorld machines work, so we could
> just try detecting the machine type in debian-installer and enable GRUB
> for the NewWorld machines only.

Leaving it to the user is by far the best option !

I think I am getting confused now, because on one page, we have
Performa 4400, 54xx, 5500 listed as powermac-OldWorld

https://www.debian.org/ports/powerpc/inst/install

while (Performa)54xx,6400 is reported to have OF 2.0:

http://www.netbsd.org/ports/macppc/models.html

So I am not clear exactly if OldWorld really imply no OpenFirmware.
I'll pass on to another expert.

-M

Re: debian-installer now available in Ports

Risto Suominen

> while (Performa)54xx,6400 is reported to have OF 2.0:

NewWorld machines have at least OF 3.0.

Risto

Am 2017-04-14 um 10:25 schrieb John Paul Adrian Glaubitz:
>> I used manual partitioning. This is the last Power Mac that is limited to LBA-28. I used a 250 GB
>> IDE HDD, so I am above this limit. I am not sure if the automated partitioning will work around this?
> This probably applies to OpenFirmware only while the kernel uses its own code to access block devices,
> so I think it shouldn't matter. I have used large disks on my Amiga with Linux without any problems
> as well even though AmigaOS natively supports up to 2 GiB only if I remember correctly.

Yes, I know. The limiting factor is the boot partition(s), i.e. the one
for yaboot (NewWorld bootblock) and the one with the kernel(s) and
initrd(s) on it.

Most Linux installations use a separate boot partition, so in most cases
the LBA-28 limit (128 GB) is not a real problem. Having an alternate OS
in front (like Mac OS X) might be a problem though, since the /boot
partition will then likely be past the first 128 GB. Also, at least in
theory (does anyone do this?), one could use one big root partition
containing /boot as a subdirectory. In such a case the kernels and
initrds might become inaccessibale for yaboot/grub once the partition is
filled past 128 GB (where files are physically stored on a file system
is beyond manual control).

> You will have to add unstable to your /etc/apt/sources.list manually. It's most likely related to
> "choose-mirror" not supporting unstable.

I will try that next.

>> One suggestion for further improvement: on an older installation I had used before powerpc was dropped
>> (Debian 7.x, then testing) I was able to get grub2 running. It would be an idea to have grub2 as an
>> alternative to yaboot during installation.
> It's possible to add support for that. We're planning to do the same thing for sparc64 but the patches
> for sparc64 support haven't been merged in GRUB yet, neither in Debian nor upstream. But it will come.
>
> Does anyone know how well supported GRUB on powerpc is? Does it support all PPC Macs or only newer
> ones, e

To my understanding only NewWorld Macs are supported. But then, *all*
NewWorld Macs are, and those are "old" too by now. This should include
all Macs which are called "Power Mac" (before it was "Power Macintosh").
And AFAIK the last "Power Macintosh G3" was one of the first NewWorld Macs.

I used GRUB2 successfully on my Quicksilver G4 and I was very happy with
it, but I had it loaded out of the yaboot CHRP script which included the
Open Firmware Penguin icon (what you see when you hold the Option during
Open Firmware initialization, giving you the boot options screen). I
don't think that GRUB2 includes such a script (and icon) yet. Also,
using grub-install on ieee1275 will want to install the GRUB binary to
/System/Library/CoreServices/...something..., presumably on a Mac OS X
volume. I think this default behaviour is not wanted on a Linux-only
installation. I had to manually copy the core.elf file to the NewWorld
bootblock.

Cheers!

Am 2017-04-14 um 11:20 schrieb Mathieu Malaterre:
> Leaving it to the user is by far the best option !

I think so too. Having the choice between yaboot and GRUB2 makes the
most sense.

> I think I am getting confused now, because on one page, we have
> Performa 4400, 54xx, 5500 listed as powermac-OldWorld
>
> https://www.debian.org/ports/powerpc/inst/install
>
> while (Performa)54xx,6400 is reported to have OF 2.0:
>
> http://www.netbsd.org/ports/macppc/models.html
>
> So I am not clear exactly if OldWorld really imply no OpenFirmware.
> I'll pass on to another expert.

I am not an expert, but I think the first Open Firmware Macs were using
the old boot method, meaning they had the Macintosh Toolbox still in the
ROM and they used the old XCOFF binary version of BootX.

The transition to NewWorld came just a little bit after the switch to
Open Firmware.

Am 2017-04-14 um 10:16 schrieb Mathieu Malaterre:

> On Fri, Apr 14, 2017 at 10:04 AM, Linux User #330250
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> One suggestion for further improvement: on an older installation I had used
>> before powerpc was dropped (Debian 7.x, then testing) I was able to get
>> grub2 running. It would be an idea to have grub2 as an alternative to yaboot
>> during installation.
> Hum, is this a regression from:
>
> https://bugs.debian.org/664128
>
> Did you really create manually '/boot/grub' partition ? I believe
> there will still be some manual steps since this is not a PRep machine
> but should get you almost there.
>
> -M

No. With this installation I used yaboot.

On my old installation I manually "installed" GRUB2 to the
yaboot-NewWorld-bootblock and added it to the yaboot CHRP script. I also
added a grub configuration file that actually loaded
/boot/grub/grub.conf, which is on a separate ext2 /boot partition.

Re: debian-installer now available in Ports

Linux User #330250
Am 2017-04-14 um 10:25 schrieb John Paul Adrian Glaubitz:
> Yes, the choose-mirror package currently doesn't support unstable [1]. You can easily enter a normal
> mirror URL like "ftp.debian.org" and "debian/" as a sub-directory and it should work.

Should I install again and try that or can we just assume that this will
work?

>> Anyway, after the installation, the system is bootable with yaboot and seems to work. "apt update" doesn't
>> seems to lack a source. mirrorselect?!?
> You will have to add unstable to your /etc/apt/sources.list manually. It's most likely related to
> "choose-mirror" not supporting unstable.

I added a mirror manually and everything seems to be in order.

Again, thanks for the netinst-iso! This is highly appreciated!

On 04/14/2017 12:00 PM, Linux User #330250 wrote:
> Am 2017-04-14 um 10:25 schrieb John Paul Adrian Glaubitz:
>> Yes, the choose-mirror package currently doesn't support unstable [1]. You can easily enter a normal
>> mirror URL like "ftp.debian.org" and "debian/" as a sub-directory and it should work.
>
> Should I install again and try that or can we just assume that this will work?

It should just work, but you can try nontheless. We're happy about any feedback
we can get.

>>> Anyway, after the installation, the system is bootable with yaboot and seems to work. "apt update" doesn't
>>> seems to lack a source. mirrorselect?!?
>> You will have to add unstable to your /etc/apt/sources.list manually. It's most likely related to
>> "choose-mirror" not supporting unstable.
>
> I added a mirror manually and everything seems to be in order.

Great :).

> Again, thanks for the netinst-iso! This is highly appreciated!

We're glad it's still useful to people.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz