debian-installer progress and input needed

debian-installer progress and input needed

John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
Hi!

Recently, I made some progress with debian-installer on m68k and got it
to build on m68k, at least the cdrom installer. It can be downloaded
for testing purpose here [1]. It should work in emulators like Aranym
and qemu-m68k in system mode.

I haven't tested the installer myself yet, but Laurent Vivier had a go
and he confirmed it actually loaded the installer from initrd \o/.

However, there is one task that needs to be addressed and for that I
need help. Since d-i hasn't been touched on m68k for a long time, the
kernel module list is outdated and hence hardware like CD-ROM drives
and similar are not detected.

Thus, I would to ask around which modules are needed for the various
hardware people have, e.g. SCSI driver for 68k Macs, IDE drivers for
Amiga and Atari and so on.

The drivers need to be added to the corresponding module list in [2]
which will add them to module packages. The module packages then
have to be included in the pkg-list for d-i on m68k [3]. Of course,
the drivers need to be enabled in the kernel configuration as well.

Another issue that needs to be addressed is that the loop-modules
udeb package needs to be enabled for src:linux on m68k because it's
required for the hdmedia d-i images. But I can open a bug report
for that as well.

Thanks,
Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz

Re: debian-installer progress and input needed

Geert Uytterhoeven
Hi Adrian,

On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 11:21 PM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thus, I would to ask around which modules are needed for the various
> hardware people have, e.g. SCSI driver for 68k Macs, IDE drivers for
> Amiga and Atari and so on.
>
> The drivers need to be added to the corresponding module list in [2]
> which will add them to module packages. The module packages then
> have to be included in the pkg-list for d-i on m68k [3]. Of course,
> the drivers need to be enabled in the kernel configuration as well.

You can extract a list of SCSI/IDE drivers needed from the defconfigs at:

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/arch/m68k/configs

All needed drivers should be builtin in the defconfigs above.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 -- [hidden email]

                                -- Linus Torvalds

Re: debian-installer progress and input needed

Finn Thain

On Mon, 15 May 2017, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Recently, I made some progress with debian-installer on m68k and got it
> to build on m68k, at least the cdrom installer. It can be downloaded for
> testing purpose here [1]. It should work in emulators like Aranym and
> qemu-m68k in system mode.

Nice work!

> I haven't tested the installer myself yet, but Laurent Vivier had a go
> and he confirmed it actually loaded the installer from initrd \o/.
>
> However, there is one task that needs to be addressed and for that I
> need help. Since d-i hasn't been touched on m68k for a long time, the
> kernel module list is outdated and hence hardware like CD-ROM drives and
> similar are not detected.
>
> Thus, I would to ask around which modules are needed for the various
> hardware people have, e.g. SCSI driver for 68k Macs, IDE drivers for
> Amiga and Atari and so on.

For m68k Macs, the SCSI, IDE, FDC and NIC driver modules are,

        mac_esp
        mac_scsi

        macide

        swim_mod

        mac8390
        macmace
        mac89x0
        macsonic

Their respective Kconfig symbols are:

        CONFIG_SCSI_MAC_ESP
        CONFIG_MAC_SCSI

        CONFIG_BLK_DEV_MAC_IDE

        BLK_DEV_SWIM

        CONFIG_MAC8390
        CONFIG_MACMACE
        CONFIG_MAC89x0
        CONFIG_MACSONIC

Any other Mac-specific modules (ADB, FB, SCC etc) should probably be
built-in.

> The drivers need to be added to the corresponding module list in [2]
> which will add them to module packages. The module packages then have to
> be included in the pkg-list for d-i on m68k [3]. Of course, the drivers
> need to be enabled in the kernel configuration as well.
>
> Another issue that needs to be addressed is that the loop-modules udeb
> package needs to be enabled for src:linux on m68k because it's required
> for the hdmedia d-i images. But I can open a bug report for that as
> well.

Installer images would be awesome (I gather that there is no ISO yet...)

--

> Thanks,
> Adrian
>

> > [1] https://people.debian.org/~glaubitz/debian-installer-m68k/cdrom/
> > [2] https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/kernel/linux.git/tree/debian/installer/m68k/modules/m68k
> > [3] https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/d-i/debian-installer.git/tree/build/pkg-lists/cdrom/m68k.cfg

Re: debian-installer progress and input needed

Laurent Vivier-5
Le 16/05/2017 à 09:40, Geert Uytterhoeven a écrit :

> Hi Adrian,
>
> On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 11:21 PM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Thus, I would to ask around which modules are needed for the various
>> hardware people have, e.g. SCSI driver for 68k Macs, IDE drivers for
>> Amiga and Atari and so on.
>>
>> The drivers need to be added to the corresponding module list in [2]
>> which will add them to module packages. The module packages then
>> have to be included in the pkg-list for d-i on m68k [3]. Of course,
>> the drivers need to be enabled in the kernel configuration as well.
>
> You can extract a list of SCSI/IDE drivers needed from the defconfigs at:
>
> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/arch/m68k/configs
>
> All needed drivers should be builtin in the defconfigs above.

So for mac, I think we need:

for disk: esp_scsi, mac_esp, macide, ide-cd_mod, sd_mod, cdrom, sr_mod

for network: macmace, mac89x0, macsonic, mac8390

Laurent

Re: debian-installer progress and input needed

John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
Ok, let's get some order into this.

I have already opened a bug report to include loop-modules [1].

Then, looking at the module packages on m68k [2] and powerpc [3],
I suggest to add the following new packages first:

- affs-modules (to allow d-i to mount Amiga filesystems)
- hfs-modules (to allow d-i to mount MacOS filesystems)
- pata-modules
- scsi-core-modules (for sd_mod and scsi_mod)

nic-shared-modules should be renamed to nic-modules. Note that most
NIC modules are already added, see [4]. Also, many generic drivers
are added by merely including them with "#include <module package>"
which includes them from [5]. So, please, if you suggest additional
modules, please make sure not to put modules on the list which
we already have, either directly or through #include.

To nic-modules, we should add:

- macmace

To pata-modules, we should add:

- gayle
- ide-cd_mod
- macide
- swim_mod (although this is a floppy module)

To scsi-modules, we should add:

- atari_scsi
- esp_scsi
- mac_esp
- mac_scsi

Did I miss anything?

Adrian

https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/kernel/linux.git/tree/debian/installer/powerpc/modules/powerpc
https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/kernel/linux.git/tree/debian/installer/m68k/modules/m68k/nic-shared-modules
https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/kernel/linux.git/tree/debian/installer/modules

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz

Re: debian-installer progress and input needed

Michael Schmitz-4
Hi Adrian,

Am 18.05.2017 um 00:24 schrieb John Paul Adrian Glaubitz:

> Ok, let's get some order into this.
>
> I have already opened a bug report to include loop-modules [1].
>
> Then, looking at the module packages on m68k [2] and powerpc [3],
> I suggest to add the following new packages first:
>
> - affs-modules (to allow d-i to mount Amiga filesystems)
> - hfs-modules (to allow d-i to mount MacOS filesystems)
> - pata-modules
> - scsi-core-modules (for sd_mod and scsi_mod)
>
> nic-shared-modules should be renamed to nic-modules. Note that most
> NIC modules are already added, see [4]. Also, many generic drivers
> are added by merely including them with "#include <module package>"
> which includes them from [5]. So, please, if you suggest additional
> modules, please make sure not to put modules on the list which
> we already have, either directly or through #include.
>
> To nic-modules, we should add:
>
> - macmace

Atari needs:
ne (CONFIG_NE2000=m, CONFIG_ATARI_ETHERNEC=y, CONFIG_ATARI_ROM_ISA=y)
smc91x (CONFIG_SMC91X=m, CONFIG_ATARI_ETHERNAT=y)

smc91x is already included, but the current modules list still contains
atari_ethernec. This one has been superseded by the 'ne' module which is
already built for Amiga anyway. Please remove atari_ethernec.

Note that the config options CONFIG_ATARI_ETHERNEC and
CONFIG_ATARI_ETHERNAT have to be set in addition to the module options
in order to provide the platform device data for these cards.

There may be other config options that are needed to select the above
network drivers - I can send my .config used on my Falcon in case there
are any doubts.

> To pata-modules, we should add:
>
> - gayle
> - ide-cd_mod
> - macide
> - swim_mod (although this is a floppy module)

Atari needs:
falconide (CONFIG_BLK_DEV_FALCON_IDE=m) unless it's compiled in.

Cheers,

        Michael

On 05/17/2017 02:24 PM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> Ok, let's get some order into this.
>
> I have already opened a bug report to include loop-modules [1].
>
> Then, looking at the module packages on m68k [2] and powerpc [3],
> I suggest to add the following new packages first:
> (...)
> Did I miss anything?

I have made some changes to src:linux now following the previous discussion
and I have pushed them to github [1].

Comments?

Adrian

On Sun, 21 May 2017, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:

> On 05/17/2017 02:24 PM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> > Ok, let's get some order into this.
> >
> > I have already opened a bug report to include loop-modules [1].
> >
> > Then, looking at the module packages on m68k [2] and powerpc [3],
> > I suggest to add the following new packages first:
> > (...)
> > Did I miss anything?
>
> I have made some changes to src:linux now following the previous discussion
> and I have pushed them to github [1].
>
> Comments?

Looks good but I suspect that macmace needs to be added to the nic-modules
list.

On 05/22/2017 02:09 AM, Finn Thain wrote:
> Looks good but I suspect that macmace needs to be added to the nic-modules
> list.

Right, forgot that one because I got interrupted. I also have to drop
the atari_ethernec driver which no longer exists.

Also, I'm wondering which of the drivers are actually listed there
redundantly and are already included through #include <nic-modules>
which seems to include all Ethernet drivers by default.

Will have to ask the Debian kernel people how that actually works.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz