debian vs redhat

John-172
Hi, just wanted to say I've used various versions of linux, and have
mainly stuck with redhat/fedora (yeah, I know), but the latest versions
have sort of bothered me.  So, today I tried debian for the first time,
and wow, am I impressed.  I plan on migrating all my servers, home and
office, to debian in the next few months.

Thanks!

Re: debian vs redhat

S. M. Ibrahim (Lavlu)-2
Really great news. I am also shifted here like you :)

On 4/6/06, John <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi, just wanted to say I've used various versions of linux, and have
mainly stuck with redhat/fedora (yeah, I know), but the latest versions
have sort of bothered me.  So, today I tried debian for the first time,
and wow, am I impressed.  I plan on migrating all my servers, home and
office, to debian in the next few months.

Thanks!

S. M. Ibrahim (Lavlu)
Home page: http://lavluda.tripod.com
Blog: http://lavluda.blogspot.com
Yahoo!! ID: lavluda MSN ID: lavluda Skype : lavluda

Re: debian vs redhat

charles norwood
On Wed, 2006-04-05 at 17:58 -0700, John wrote:
> Hi, just wanted to say I've used various versions of linux, and have
> mainly stuck with redhat/fedora (yeah, I know), but the latest versions
> have sort of bothered me.  So, today I tried debian for the first time,
> and wow, am I impressed.  I plan on migrating all my servers, home and
> office, to debian in the next few months.
>
> Thanks!

Under redhat 9 I had a number of problems that caused server crashes
about once a month.  Under Debian stable (Sarge) everything is so
solid..... Debian stable may be able to run on an unplugged
computer ....

Hmmm   I'll try it ....

Re: debian vs redhat

Bradley Alexander
On Wednesday 05 April 2006 23:03, charles norwood wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-04-05 at 17:58 -0700, John wrote:
> > mainly stuck with redhat/fedora (yeah, I know), but the latest versions
> > have sort of bothered me.  So, today I tried debian for the first time,
> > and wow, am I impressed.
<Snip>
> Under redhat 9 I had a number of problems that caused server crashes
> about once a month.  Under Debian stable (Sarge) everything is so
> solid..... Debian stable may be able to run on an unplugged
> computer ....

There were three things that caused me to take the Debian plunge in about
1998/1999.

1. RedHat's quality control dropped off, and their releases were very shoddy.
[1]  I know people complain about Debian's "slow" release cycle, but this is
offset by having three releases online at all times.

2. apt was just coming online, and thus the installs got a little easier than
using dselect. And upgrades were a dream.

3. RPM hell. 'Nuff said.

I've been a happy Debian user ever since.

[1] RH's QC isn't a far sight better, even today. I have to use CentOS 4 (RHEL
4, community compiled) at work, and their released kernel, 2.6.9-22.EL,
shipped with reiserfs broken. To the point that the kernel wouldn't compile.
When I asked on the forums, they suggested I revert to 2.6.9-11.EL.
Management decided at that point that we could live without ReiserFS...

--
--Brad
Bradley M. Alexander                       |

Re: debian vs redhat

Roberto C. Sanchez
charles norwood wrote:

> On Wed, 2006-04-05 at 17:58 -0700, John wrote:
>
>>Hi, just wanted to say I've used various versions of linux, and have
>>mainly stuck with redhat/fedora (yeah, I know), but the latest versions
>>have sort of bothered me.  So, today I tried debian for the first time,
>>and wow, am I impressed.  I plan on migrating all my servers, home and
>>office, to debian in the next few months.
>>
>>Thanks!
>>

> Under redhat 9 I had a number of problems that caused server crashes
> about once a month.  Under Debian stable (Sarge) everything is so
> solid..... Debian stable may be able to run on an unplugged
> computer ....
>
> Hmmm   I'll try it ....

To be fair, RH9 was released 03/31/2003, while Sarge was released
06/06/2005.  I would say that a difference of 2+ years would be quite
significant in terms of hardware support and general application
stability.  Of course, I am still a Debianista to the core, but I had
the misfortune of admining a lab full of RH9 machines until I could get
them migrated to Debian.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez
http://familiasanchez.net/~roberto

Re: debian vs redhat

Ron Johnson
On Wed, 2006-04-05 at 20:03 -0700, charles norwood wrote:

> On Wed, 2006-04-05 at 17:58 -0700, John wrote:
> > Hi, just wanted to say I've used various versions of linux, and have
> > mainly stuck with redhat/fedora (yeah, I know), but the latest versions
> > have sort of bothered me.  So, today I tried debian for the first time,
> > and wow, am I impressed.  I plan on migrating all my servers, home and
> > office, to debian in the next few months.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >

> Under redhat 9 I had a number of problems that caused server crashes
> about once a month.  Under Debian stable (Sarge) everything is so
> solid..... Debian stable may be able to run on an unplugged
                                                    ^^^^^^^^^
> computer ....
>
> Hmmm   I'll try it ....

Maybe it's because you use Stable?  Why I unplug the machine while
using Sid, it just dies.  :)

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"A peace that depends on fear is nothing but a suppressed war."
Henry Van Dyke

Re: debian vs redhat

Kent West
Ron Johnson wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-04-05 at 20:03 -0700, charles norwood wrote:
>
>> Debian stable may be able to run on an unplugged computer ....
>>

> Maybe it's because you use Stable?  Why I unplug the machine while
> using Sid, it just dies.  :)

Your /etc/rununplugged.rc file must be hosed. My Sid laptop does fine
when I unplug it.

--
Kent

Re: debian vs redhat

Alvin Oga

On Wed, 5 Apr 2006, Ron Johnson wrote:

> > solid..... Debian stable may be able to run on an unplugged
                                                     ^^^^^^^^^
> > computer ....

any machine can boot and run in the unplugged state,
otherwise your config is not properly configured

but, obviously, if its unplugged, you will not get any
network-based services ( ntp, updates, etc )

c ya
alvin

Re: debian vs redhat -fair

Alvin Oga

On Wed, 5 Apr 2006, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:

> To be fair, RH9 was released 03/31/2003, while Sarge was released
> 06/06/2005.  I would say that a difference of 2+ years would be quite
> significant in terms of hardware support and general application
> stability.

bingo ...

some folks like to compare oranges to dogs ... vs a fair comparison
of like systems from the same era ..

2 yrs is way way too long ... it'd be like comparing p4-1G vs p4-3G
w/ hyperthread or something similar and yet vastly different

c ya
alvin

Re: debian vs redhat

Ron Johnson
On Thu, 2006-04-06 at 00:32 -0500, Kent West wrote:

> Ron Johnson wrote:
> > On Wed, 2006-04-05 at 20:03 -0700, charles norwood wrote:
> >
> >> Debian stable may be able to run on an unplugged computer ....
> >>

> > Maybe it's because you use Stable?  Why I unplug the machine while
> > using Sid, it just dies.  :)
> >
> Your /etc/rununplugged.rc file must be hosed. My Sid laptop does fine
> when I unplug it.

Can you email me your copy?  I figure that my system will be a
heck of a lot quieter if it's unplugged.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"'He insulted me, he cheated me, he beat me, he robbed me' --
those who are free of resentful thoughts surely find peace."
Buddha

Re: debian vs redhat

Ron Johnson
On Wed, 2006-04-05 at 22:37 -0700, Alvin Oga wrote:

> On Wed, 5 Apr 2006, Ron Johnson wrote:
>
> > > solid..... Debian stable may be able to run on an unplugged
>                                                      ^^^^^^^^^
> > > computer ....
>
> any machine can boot and run in the unplugged state,
> otherwise your config is not properly configured
>
> but, obviously, if its unplugged, you will not get any
> network-based services ( ntp, updates, etc )

> > Maybe it's because you use Stable?  Why I unplug the machine while
> > using Sid, it just dies.  :)

Unplugged from the power socket.  Emoticon would give it away, I
thought. Lame attempt at humor.  Never mind.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"I was provided with additional input that was radically
different from the truth. I assisted in furthering that version."
Colonel Oliver North

Re: debian vs redhat -fair

Curt Howland

Re: debian vs redhat

Hugo Vanwoerkom
Ron Johnson wrote:

> On Wed, 2006-04-05 at 20:03 -0700, charles norwood wrote:
>> On Wed, 2006-04-05 at 17:58 -0700, John wrote:
>>> Hi, just wanted to say I've used various versions of linux, and have
>>> mainly stuck with redhat/fedora (yeah, I know), but the latest versions
>>> have sort of bothered me.  So, today I tried debian for the first time,
>>> and wow, am I impressed.  I plan on migrating all my servers, home and
>>> office, to debian in the next few months.
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>

>> Under redhat 9 I had a number of problems that caused server crashes
>> about once a month.  Under Debian stable (Sarge) everything is so
>> solid..... Debian stable may be able to run on an unplugged
>                                                     ^^^^^^^^^
>> computer ....
>>
>> Hmmm   I'll try it ....
>
> Maybe it's because you use Stable?  Why I unplug the machine while
> using Sid, it just dies.  :)

Ha! My Sarge keeps running! Due to my Back-UPS LS 500 with apcupsd
3.13.2 (22 February 2006) no doubt ;-)