debugging apt-get issue

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

debugging apt-get issue

Nicholas Geovanis-2
I have 2 servers running Jessie. They now have identical /etc/apt/sources.list. One server can find the nagios3 packages using apt-get, the other server can't find them. How do I go about debugging the second server's inability to find my packages of interest? Thanks.....Nick Geo
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: debugging apt-get issue

Erwan David
Le 14/07/2016 à 21:37, Nicholas Geovanis a écrit :
> I have 2 servers running Jessie. They now have identical
> /etc/apt/sources.list. One server can find the nagios3 packages using
> apt-get, the other server can't find them. How do I go about debugging
> the second server's inability to find my packages of interest?
> Thanks.....Nick Geo


Check /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*, /etc/apt/preferences and
/etc/apt/preferences.d/*

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: debugging apt-get issue

Nicholas Geovanis-2
>Check /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*, /etc/apt/preferences and
> /etc/apt/preferences.d/*

Also the same across the 2 servers.

On Thu, Jul 14, 2016 at 2:40 PM, Erwan David <[hidden email]> wrote:
Le 14/07/2016 à 21:37, Nicholas Geovanis a écrit :
> I have 2 servers running Jessie. They now have identical
> /etc/apt/sources.list. One server can find the nagios3 packages using
> apt-get, the other server can't find them. How do I go about debugging
> the second server's inability to find my packages of interest?
> Thanks.....Nick Geo


Check /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*, /etc/apt/preferences and
/etc/apt/preferences.d/*


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: debugging apt-get issue

Erwan David
Le 14/07/2016 à 22:05, Nicholas Geovanis a écrit :

> >Check /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*, /etc/apt/preferences and
> > /etc/apt/preferences.d/*
>
> Also the same across the 2 servers.
>
> On Thu, Jul 14, 2016 at 2:40 PM, Erwan David <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Le 14/07/2016 à 21:37, Nicholas Geovanis a écrit :
>     > I have 2 servers running Jessie. They now have identical
>     > /etc/apt/sources.list. One server can find the nagios3 packages
>     using
>     > apt-get, the other server can't find them. How do I go about
>     debugging
>     > the second server's inability to find my packages of interest?
>     > Thanks.....Nick Geo
>
>
>     Check /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*, /etc/apt/preferences and
>     /etc/apt/preferences.d/*
>
>
apt-cache policy nagios3 on the server which finds it should tell you on
which source it finds it. Check the difference with same command on
server which does not find it (I assume you did a apt-get update or
equivalent on both servers).

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: debugging apt-get issue

Nicholas Geovanis-2

On Thu, Jul 14, 2016 at 3:12 PM, Erwan David <[hidden email]> wrote:
Le 14/07/2016 à 22:05, Nicholas Geovanis a écrit :
> >Check /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*, /etc/apt/preferences and
> > /etc/apt/preferences.d/*
>
> Also the same across the 2 servers.
>
> On Thu, Jul 14, 2016 at 2:40 PM, Erwan David <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Le 14/07/2016 à 21:37, Nicholas Geovanis a écrit :
>     > I have 2 servers running Jessie. They now have identical
>     > /etc/apt/sources.list. One server can find the nagios3 packages
>     using
>     > apt-get, the other server can't find them. How do I go about
>     debugging
>     > the second server's inability to find my packages of interest?
>     > Thanks.....Nick Geo
>
>
>     Check /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*, /etc/apt/preferences and
>     /etc/apt/preferences.d/*
>
>
apt-cache policy nagios3 on the server which finds it should tell you on
which source it finds it. Check the difference with same command on
server which does not find it (I assume you did a apt-get update or
equivalent on both servers).


Blushing....I had not "apt-get update" on the server which couldn't find nagios3. Thanks for your help....Nick
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: debugging apt-get issue

limpia
In reply to this post by Nicholas Geovanis-2
Have you tried < apt-get update > on the one that
is unable to find the package ?
  If you recently modified the sources.list file,
it does not take effect until you run <apt-get update>



On 2016-07-14 14:37, Nicholas Geovanis wrote:
> I have 2 servers running Jessie. They now have identical
> /etc/apt/sources.list. One server can find the nagios3 packages using
> apt-get, the other server can't find them. How do I go about debugging
> the second server's inability to find my packages of interest?
> Thanks.....Nick Geo


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: debugging apt-get issue

limpia

OOps, I should have started at the "top" first,
then I would have seen, the reply,
"Blushing....I had not "apt-get update" on the server which couldn't
find nagios3. Thanks for your help....Nick""
   Sorry about that



On 2016-07-14 21:04, limpia wrote:

> Have you tried < apt-get update > on the one that
> is unable to find the package ?
>  If you recently modified the sources.list file,
> it does not take effect until you run <apt-get update>
>
>
>
> On 2016-07-14 14:37, Nicholas Geovanis wrote:
>> I have 2 servers running Jessie. They now have identical
>> /etc/apt/sources.list. One server can find the nagios3 packages using
>> apt-get, the other server can't find them. How do I go about debugging
>> the second server's inability to find my packages of interest?
>> Thanks.....Nick Geo


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: debugging apt-get issue

Charlie Kravetz
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA256

On Thu, 14 Jul 2016 21:09:29 -0500
limpia <[hidden email]> wrote:

>OOps, I should have started at the "top" first,
>then I would have seen, the reply,
>"Blushing....I had not "apt-get update" on the server which couldn't
>find nagios3. Thanks for your help....Nick""
>   Sorry about that


That's why top posting makes it so difficult to read. By bottom
posting, the entire message reads like a book, even if there are
several people responding.

>
>
>
>On 2016-07-14 21:04, limpia wrote:
>> Have you tried < apt-get update > on the one that
>> is unable to find the package ?
>>  If you recently modified the sources.list file,
>> it does not take effect until you run <apt-get update>
>>
>>
>>
>> On 2016-07-14 14:37, Nicholas Geovanis wrote:  
>>> I have 2 servers running Jessie. They now have identical
>>> /etc/apt/sources.list. One server can find the nagios3 packages using
>>> apt-get, the other server can't find them. How do I go about debugging
>>> the second server's inability to find my packages of interest?
>>> Thanks.....Nick Geo  
>
>


- --
Charlie Kravetz
Linux Registered User Number 425914
[http://linuxcounter.net/user/425914.html]
Never let anyone steal your DREAM.   [http://keepingdreams.com]
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2

iQEcBAEBCAAGBQJXiE5EAAoJEIqui46mydCAzKAH/j+mWz+5PUPdI9fCgXewoVcw
vEFwByfFcSJ6C3eULaiFf9+XAT57o7g7F5O7hHUMmWxh1yhioa0bZ4cf5euG2t5y
97+3xPG0OLVWYcjNCaacIFAOwVrzC1Su0u3xCzUT1dwE8km+SvsiSWDn7SV83fcG
ZAkWngUEF/pzYCfOCzg8MLTvuXAzY5aTkImYN02XS0EUvvoQ7yzB/EELSg+8J2rN
YXNhyy6IOlQiskEyKDd/EnrQ+XcJqCdAlOm2h9+ZQ+1yRCvxe7HBIbUgCjSu+k6/
nHyGknrncud2E6A9MuDqELkvgTLD1LLoCW9VNisD3AwUVaGaDCrmCs0VQSjWI4o=
=DDdR
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----