devregs for imx

Rainer Dorsch-2
Hi,

does anybody know if there is something equivalent to devregs in

https://github.com/boundarydevices/imx-utils

to probe and manipulate the hardware registers in an imx6 for Debian.

Thanks
Rainer

--
Rainer Dorsch
http://bokomoko.de/

Re: devregs for imx

Paul Wise via nm
On Sun, Jul 28, 2019 at 6:16 PM Rainer Dorsch wrote:

> does anybody know if there is something equivalent to devregs in
>
> https://github.com/boundarydevices/imx-utils
>
> to probe and manipulate the hardware registers in an imx6 for Debian.

It looks like devregs was split out of imx-utils and is now maintained
in this repository instead:

https://github.com/boundarydevices/devregs

Neither imx-utils nor devregs is available in Debian:

https://packages.debian.org/search?searchon=contents&keywords=devregs

I note there is another tool called devmem but it isn't available in Debian:

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/4948/shell-command-to-read-device-registers
https://bugs.debian.org/595805

There is also a busybox devmem applet that seems to be available in Debian.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/12040303/how-to-access-physical-addresses-from-user-space-in-linux/45127890#45127890

Please note that Linux has been restricting access to /dev/mem more in
recent times so I'm not sure if any of the above tools work with
modern Debian versions.

In case you want to package imx-utils and or devregs for Debian, I
expect both will be easy to package and folks on this list might
sponsor them. You can find packaging information here:

https://mentors.debian.net/intro-maintainers
https://mentors.debian.net/sponsors/rfs-howto

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise

Re: devregs for imx

Rainer Dorsch-2
Hi Paul,

thanks for your detailed response.

Am Montag, 29. Juli 2019, 01:02:44 CEST schrieb Paul Wise:

> On Sun, Jul 28, 2019 at 6:16 PM Rainer Dorsch wrote:
> > does anybody know if there is something equivalent to devregs in
> >
> > https://github.com/boundarydevices/imx-utils
> >
> > to probe and manipulate the hardware registers in an imx6 for Debian.
>
> It looks like devregs was split out of imx-utils and is now maintained
> in this repository instead:
>
> https://github.com/boundarydevices/devregs
>
> Neither imx-utils nor devregs is available in Debian:
>
> https://packages.debian.org/search?searchon=contents&keywords=devregs
>
> I note there is another tool called devmem but it isn't available in Debian:
>
> https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/4948/shell-command-to-read-device-r
> egisters https://bugs.debian.org/595805
>
> There is also a busybox devmem applet that seems to be available in Debian.
>
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/12040303/how-to-access-physical-addresse
> s-from-user-space-in-linux/45127890#45127890

Many thanks for the pointer :-)

> Please note that Linux has been restricting access to /dev/mem more in
> recent times so I'm not sure if any of the above tools work with
> modern Debian versions.

Indeed, I try to map the example from

https://boundarydevices.com/i-mx6-ethernet/

root@linaro-nano:~# devregs ENET_RCR
ENET_RCR:0x02188084     =0x05ee0264

to my

rd@home:~/git/imx-utils$ su -
Password:
root@home:~# busybox devmem 0x02188084
devmem: mmap: Operation not permitted
root@home:~#

on my cubox-i.

But as you expected, no success :-/

> In case you want to package imx-utils and or devregs for Debian, I
> expect both will be easy to package and folks on this list might
> sponsor them. You can find packaging information here:

Before I posted, I tried to compile devregs from imx-utils, but was not able
to do so, I think there was a dependency to the Freescale kernel:

rd@home:~/git/imx-utils$ make devregs
=== compiling: fb2_overlay.o -I/tftpboot/ltib/usr/include -I/home/rd/linux/
include -L/tftpboot/ltib/usr/lib
fb2_overlay.cpp:20:25: fatal error: linux/mxcfb.h: No such file or directory
 #include <linux/mxcfb.h>
                         ^
compilation terminated.
Makefile:61: recipe for target 'fb2_overlay.o' failed
make: *** [fb2_overlay.o] Error 1
rd@home:~/git/imx-utils$

> https://mentors.debian.net/intro-maintainers
> https://mentors.debian.net/sponsors/rfs-howto

Great news is that buster seems to behave much better than stretch wrt. this
HW issue (I need to double confirm, because the hardware of both boxes is not
100% equivalent).

For details of the measurement on buster see:

http://netcup.bokomoko.de/~rd/cubox-ERR004512.txt

Thanks
Rainer

--
Rainer Dorsch
http://bokomoko.de/

Re: devregs for imx

Uwe Kleine-König-7
On 7/28/19 12:15 PM, Rainer Dorsch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> does anybody know if there is something equivalent to devregs in
>
> https://github.com/boundarydevices/imx-utils
>
> to probe and manipulate the hardware registers in an imx6 for Debian.

There is memtool in Debian that allows to inspect and modify registers.

Best regards
Uwe