do I need to mention tiny change in copyright file

do I need to mention tiny change in copyright file

Joël Krähemann-2
Hi,

Do I need to mention the person submitted 3 patches in
debian/copyright file, containing a total of 5 lines changed in my
package?

I have attached the patches. Upstream did a notice in ChangeLog and
AUTHORS as tiny change, as recommended by:

https://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/maintain.html#Legally-Significant

bests,
Joël

patch-ags_audio_ags__recall__dssi.c (422 bytes) Download Attachment
patch-ags_server_security_ags__xml__password__store.c (1K) Download Attachment
patch-ags_audio_recall_ags__play__dssi__audio.c (450 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: do I need to mention tiny change in copyright file

Nicholas D Steeves
Hi Joël,

On Fri, Mar 01, 2019 at 01:38:56PM +0100, Joël Krähemann wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Do I need to mention the person submitted 3 patches in
> debian/copyright file, containing a total of 5 lines changed in my
> package?
>
> I have attached the patches. Upstream did a notice in ChangeLog and
> AUTHORS as tiny change, as recommended by:
>
> https://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/maintain.html#Legally-Significant
>
> bests,
> Joël
There seems to be a convention to credit the patch submitter in
d/changelog with "thanks to Name Family_Name" when the patch is not
legally significant.  When a patch is legally significant it must be
documented in d/copyright.

Of course if the patch submitter also submitted a changelog entry, or
if the patch imports in such a way that it generates one crediting the
author, I'll retain that.

Oh, and this is in addition to proper DEP-3 headers where the
submitter is credited and the source is provided.  When a patch is
cherry picked from upstream, it falls under upstream's copyright, and
I tend to believe that a DEP-3 header demonstrating upstream is the
origin is sufficient, and that upstream's "Files: *" stanza doensn't
needed to be extended to say "Files: *
debian/patches/cherry-picked-commit.patch".  Once again, if it's not
legally significant it shouldn't be added to d/copyright, but DEP-3
headers should still be used.

I'm sure more experienced members of this list can add something to
the intersection of best practises and potential mountain of paperwork
;-)

Cheers,
Nicholas

Re: do I need to mention tiny change in copyright file

Joël Krähemann-2
Hi,

I am upstream of this package. The patch was submitted to upstream.
Upstream mentioned the submitter in the source packages ChangeLog.

So no need for DEP3.

Best regards,
Joël