do we have an rtf to pdf convertor?

Gene Heskett-4
Greetings all;

I have downloaded a new version of an os for a 35 yo computer, but all
the docs are in rtf format.

What to we have that will convert those into printable pdf's?

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis

Re: do we have an rtf to pdf convertor?

Kenneth Parker-2

On Fri, May 1, 2020, 4:28 AM Gene Heskett <[hidden email]> wrote:
Greetings all;

I have downloaded a new version of an os for a 35 yo computer, but all
the docs are in rtf format.

What to we have that will convert those into printable pdf's?

Since rtf is a precursor to Microsoft Word format, I would suggest looking at Libreoffice.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis

Good luck!

Kenneth Parker

On Friday 01 May 2020 04:36:30 Kenneth Parker wrote:

> On Fri, May 1, 2020, 4:28 AM Gene Heskett <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Greetings all;
> >
> > I have downloaded a new version of an os for a 35 yo computer, but
> > all the docs are in rtf format.
> >
> > What to we have that will convert those into printable pdf's?
>
> Since rtf is a precursor to Microsoft Word format, I would suggest
> looking at Libreoffice.

Thanks, I'll do that.

tomas@tuxteam.de
On Fri, May 01, 2020 at 04:27:47AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Greetings all;
>
> I have downloaded a new version of an os for a 35 yo computer, but all
> the docs are in rtf format.

Oh, /that/ dinosaur. Had Microsoft to pay for the collateral it has
left in its wake, they'd be beggars.

> What to we have that will convert those into printable pdf's?

Apt-cache search rtf delivers a couple of hits. The two I'd look at
first (unless Kenneth's proposal of using LO just does the trick)
would be

  - unrtf: seems explicitly built to convert RFT to other formats
  - pandoc: converts anything to anything (well, documents, but hey)
           I'd expect it to be a bit more complex

Enjoy
-- t

Re: do we have an rtf to pdf convertor?

Eric S Fraga
On Friday,  1 May 2020 at 04:27, Gene Heskett wrote:
> I have downloaded a new version of an os for a 35 yo computer, but all
> the docs are in rtf format.
>
> What to we have that will convert those into printable pdf's?

On Debian, maybe check out the unrtf package.  But I have used
libreoffice in the past.

Eric S Fraga via Emacs 28.0.50 & org 9.3.6 on Debian bullseye/sid

On Friday 01 May 2020 05:16:19 [hidden email] wrote:

> On Fri, May 01, 2020 at 04:27:47AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Greetings all;
> >
> > I have downloaded a new version of an os for a 35 yo computer, but
> > all the docs are in rtf format.
>
> Oh, /that/ dinosaur. Had Microsoft to pay for the collateral it has
> left in its wake, they'd be beggars.
>
> > What to we have that will convert those into printable pdf's?
>
> Apt-cache search rtf delivers a couple of hits. The two I'd look at
> first (unless Kenneth's proposal of using LO just does the trick)

i had to install it, but it did the trick nicely.  Thanks Tomas. Stay
well now.

On Friday 01 May 2020 05:46:43 Eric S Fraga wrote:

> On Friday,  1 May 2020 at 04:27, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > I have downloaded a new version of an os for a 35 yo computer, but
> > all the docs are in rtf format.
> >
> > What to we have that will convert those into printable pdf's?
>
> On Debian, maybe check out the unrtf package.  But I have used
> libreoffice in the past.

I had to re-install it, worked fine. Thanks.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis

Re: do we have an rtf to pdf convertor?

Henning Follmann
On Fri, May 01, 2020 at 04:27:47AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Greetings all;
>
> I have downloaded a new version of an os for a 35 yo computer, but all
> the docs are in rtf format.
>
> What to we have that will convert those into printable pdf's?

Also: pandoc

It pretty much converts from and to anything.

-H

Henning Follmann           | [hidden email]

Re: do we have an rtf to pdf convertor?

Greg Marks
To convert an RTF file to a printable PDF file, the command

   libreoffice --convert-to pdf file.rtf

should work.

Best regards,
Greg Marks