duckduckgo

Re: duckduckgo

steef-5
On 19-08-19 17:45, [hidden email] wrote:

> On Monday, August 19, 2019 08:27:57 AM steef wrote:
>>> --< snip >--

>>> Is that the problem you are concerned about?
>>
>> well, yes. because it is possible to avoid these sites for only one session
>> using duckduckgo. the next session one must again block out these sites.
>> that is cumbersome and annoying allthough i understand that duckduckgo
>> somehow must get paid for.
>
> How do you block out those search results?  Do you put something in the search
> that says something like "not:<advertising_site.com>?

.........well: on the right side on top of the duckduckgo page you see/find four small lines. touch these and you see a row with further
possibilities. One of these possibilities is the english equivalent of 'overige instellingen'(dutch): something like 'remaining settings'
click on these 'settings' and you see another row  with advertenties (dutch) advertisement i guess in english. click once on advertisement
(or whatever) to put them off ('uit' in dutch). if you put your browser off and afterwards on again you must repeat this imho  tedious
process to pue them off again and so on. that's it and i hope i am clear enough.

cheers,

steef

Re: duckduckgo

steef-5
On 19-08-19 22:50, [hidden email] wrote:

> On Monday, August 19, 2019 04:17:26 PM steef wrote:

>>> How do you block out those search results?  Do you put something in the
>>> search that says something like "not:<advertising_site.com>?
>>
>> .........well: on the right side on top of the duckduckgo page you see/find
>> four small lines. touch these and you see a row with further
>> possibilities. One of these possibilities is the english equivalent of
>> 'overige instellingen'(dutch): something like 'remaining settings' click
>> on these 'settings' and you see another row  with advertenties (dutch)
>> advertisement i guess in english. click once on advertisement (or
>> whatever) to put them off ('uit' in dutch). if you put your browser off
>> and afterwards on again you must repeat this imho  tedious process to pue
>> them off again and so on. that's it and i hope i am clear enough.
>
> Ahh, ok, I never knew that was there.  I turned it off on a DDG page, and then
> clicked save.  I'll see if it works, and then see if it works again after I
> restart Firefox -- but it may be a long time until I find out, as I keep my
> browser up until it crashes (and sometimes have 1000 or more tabs open) --
> usually I can recover those, but I prefer not to try it unless I have to.

i wish you good luck with that!

reg.,

steef

Re: duckduckgo

Finn-2
arne wrote:
> I am allergic to ads.
>
> So I use an adblocker, ublock origin.
> I have squid and privoxy proxy's running.
> Have a local searx as search engine.

Are you running Searx instance in your system locally? If so, how? Searx
isn't packed for Debian yet. Probably installed using Docker or compiled
by yourself. Or, using some Searx public instance?

> 99.9999% of the visited sites are without ads, no tracking.
>
> Hope this helps.
>

>> Question: is this due to a belief that such sites are (at least for
>> your use cases) at best marginally more useful than their non-JS
>> utilizing alternatives, or due to a desire to punish such sites or an
>> ethical objection to them? I certainly need to use numerous sites
>> (bill paying, banking, etc.) that require JS to function.
>>
>> Celejar

Re: duckduckgo

Reco
On Wed, Aug 21, 2019 at 03:41:34AM +0000, Finn wrote:

> arne wrote:
> > I am allergic to ads.
> >
> > So I use an adblocker, ublock origin.
> > I have squid and privoxy proxy's running.
> > Have a local searx as search engine.
> >

> Are you running Searx instance in your system locally? If so, how? Searx
> isn't packed for Debian yet.

On the contrary, it is:

$ apt policy searx
searx: