dune + opam

Stéphane Glondu-3
Hello Ralf,

In ocaml-cairo2/debian/control, you wrote:
> dune behaves differently when opam is installed

so you put opam in Build-Conflicts.

Could you elaborate?

Stéphane

Re: dune + opam

Ralf Treinen-9
Hello Stéphane,

On Wed, Aug 14, 2019 at 09:50:34AM +0200, Stéphane Glondu wrote:
> Hello Ralf,
>
> In ocaml-cairo2/debian/control, you wrote:
> > dune behaves differently when opam is installed
>
> so you put opam in Build-Conflicts.
>
> Could you elaborate?

If I remember correctly, the problem was that "dune install" called
the opam_installer when it was available, and at that time
(much earlier version of dune!) one had to set some environment
variable to have it install library files at the correct path.

If you think that it is annoying I can find a way to make it
work with ocaml_installer.

-Ralf.

Re: dune + opam

Stéphane Glondu-3
Le 14/08/2019 à 12:14, Ralf Treinen a écrit :

>> In ocaml-cairo2/debian/control, you wrote:
>>> dune behaves differently when opam is installed
>>
>> so you put opam in Build-Conflicts.
>>
>> Could you elaborate?
>
> If I remember correctly, the problem was that "dune install" called
> the opam_installer when it was available, and at that time
> (much earlier version of dune!) one had to set some environment
> variable to have it install library files at the correct path.
>
> If you think that it is annoying I can find a way to make it
> work with ocaml_installer.

No, it's better to not depend on opam-installer if possible for
bootstrapping reasons.

I thought "dune install" and "opam-installer" were doing the same thing,
but you are saying no...?

By the way, opam-installer is in its own package.

It took me time to figure it out, but now I always call "dune install"
as follows:

> dune install --destdir=$(DESTDIR) --prefix=/usr --libdir=..$(OCAML_STDLIB_DIR)

Stéphane