fetchmail

Glenn English-5
It seems that fetchmail doesn't exist in Buster (Buster's apt and
aptitude say it doesn't exist -- aptitude in Stretch shows a package).

This means I can't use Mutt if my email is in a box on the other side
of the LAN?

Anybody know: am I wrong somehow; why fetchmail went away; if Buster'd
be upset with the Stretch package?

Glenn English

Re: fetchmail

Roberto C. Sánchez
On Sun, Nov 18, 2018 at 07:05:48PM +0000, Glenn English wrote:
> It seems that fetchmail doesn't exist in Buster (Buster's apt and
> aptitude say it doesn't exist -- aptitude in Stretch shows a package).

According to the package tracker [0], the migration has been held up
about two years because of bug #768843 [1].  Looking at the bug, a
version of fetchmail which fixes that bug has been uploaded to
experimental in June.  I expect that once the maintainer is ready,
perhaps when upstream makes a final release, that a new package will be
uploaded to unstable and will eventually migrate to buster.

Regards,

-Roberto

[0] https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/fetchmail
[1] https://bugs.debian.org/768843
Roberto C. Sánchez

Re: fetchmail

Steve Kemp
> Anybody know: am I wrong somehow; why fetchmail went away; if Buster'd
> be upset with the Stretch package?

  Yup - see this bug for details:

  You might consider an alternative such as getmail, or isync.

Steve
https://steve.fi/

Re: fetchmail

Reco
        Hi.

On Sun, Nov 18, 2018 at 07:05:48PM +0000, Glenn English wrote:
> It seems that fetchmail doesn't exist in Buster (Buster's apt and
> aptitude say it doesn't exist -- aptitude in Stretch shows a package).

True. The reason for the removal was #768843, currently fixed in
experimental only.

> This means I can't use Mutt if my email is in a box on the other side
> of the LAN?

getmail, plain IMAP/POP3, ssh tunnel, even using SMTP the way it was
intended - there are many alternatives.

> Anybody know: am I wrong somehow; why fetchmail went away; if Buster'd
> be upset with the Stretch package?

Looking at the dependencies I don't see anything stretch-specific here.
I'd be wary of "sslproto" stanza, but that's it.

Reco

Re: fetchmail

Brian
On Sun 18 Nov 2018 at 19:05:48 +0000, Glenn English wrote:

> It seems that fetchmail doesn't exist in Buster (Buster's apt and
> aptitude say it doesn't exist -- aptitude in Stretch shows a package).
>
> This means I can't use Mutt if my email is in a box on the other side
> of the LAN?
>
> Anybody know: am I wrong somehow; why fetchmail went away; if Buster'd
> be upset with the Stretch package?

fetchmail doesn't exist in testing, as I am sure you know. It exists in
sid though, and is waiting for you to use it.

Brian.

Re: fetchmail

Glenn English-5
Thanks much, all.

Dovecot's config was bent. Working version recovered from backup. Not
at all sure what was wrong.

Dovecot, IMHO, is a mixed blessing...

But I'm going to look into getmail and isync. I didn't know they
existed. Mutt rules, I think.

Glenn English

Re: fetchmail

Brian
On Sun 18 Nov 2018 at 20:27:55 +0000, Glenn English wrote:

> Thanks much, all.
>
> Dovecot's config was bent. Working version recovered from backup. Not
> at all sure what was wrong.

How does Dovecot get into a thread about fetchmail? The mind boggles.

> Dovecot, IMHO, is a mixed blessing...

The boggling index has increased......

> But I'm going to look into getmail and isync. I didn't know they
> existed. Mutt rules, I think.

and is now off the scale.

I could understand a response which said "I never install from
unstable" but altering one's system on the basis of a couple of
well-intentioned mails is beyond me.

Brian.

Re: fetchmail

Jude DaShiell-3
nmail is another alternative and it stores individual messages in
individual files in a user's home directory.  Very helpful when malware
strikes since if e-mail was the vector or was later contaminated only
the messages with the malware in them get quarrantined.  With mbox, your
entire mail spool could be quarrantined and if you haven't read most of
that mail you could end up loosing all of it.

On Sun, 18 Nov 2018, Glenn English wrote:

> Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2018 15:27:55
> From: Glenn English <[hidden email]>
> To: debianUsers <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: fetchmail
>
> Thanks much, all.
>
> Dovecot's config was bent. Working version recovered from backup. Not
> at all sure what was wrong.
>
> Dovecot, IMHO, is a mixed blessing...
>
> But I'm going to look into getmail and isync. I didn't know they
> existed. Mutt rules, I think.

Re: fetchmail

Glenn English-5
On Sun, Nov 18, 2018 at 8:43 PM Brian <[hidden email]> wrote:

> How does Dovecot get into a thread about fetchmail?

Well, a little confusion, a little impatience, and a little panic.

I was using Thunderbird, and I did something to the DCot config, and
email quit working. I'd spent a couple days fighting with that config
after moving my IMAP server from Wheezy to Buster. And since there are
no long distance IMAP connections where blackHats could get ahold of
it, I didn't want to figure out again what fixed it a few weeks ago
(we elderly people sometimes forget useful info).

Mutt and fetchmail seemed somewhat simpler and more like what I wanted
to do. I already had Mutt, and I went looking for fetchmail -- it
exists in the distros on either side of mine, but not in mine. Before
I got the responses from the list about the alternatives, I'd
recovered the working config from the backup tapes, and TBird was back
on line.

I still think Mutt, etc., would do a better job, but I'm not in such a
rush anymore.

Sorry about the boggles...

Glenn English

Re: fetchmail

Nate Bargmann-4
I installed the Sid version on this Buster installation and it works
just fine.  I simply downloaded it and installed it manually.  Aptitude
puts it in the Obsolete and Locally Created Packages section.  Shrug.

- Nate

possible worlds.  The pessimist fears this is true."

Web: http://www.n0nb.us  GPG key: D55A8819  GitHub: N0NB

Re: fetchmail

mick crane
On 2018-11-19 00:33, Nate Bargmann wrote:
> I installed the Sid version on this Buster installation and it works
> just fine.  I simply downloaded it and installed it manually.  Aptitude
> puts it in the Obsolete and Locally Created Packages section.  Shrug.
>
> - Nate

fetchmail for me had a problem with the ssl certificate of gmail which
keeps changing seemingly depending on which server connect to. Probably
is fixable but was easier to use getmail.

mick

Key ID    4BFEBB31

Re: fetchmail

Nate Bargmann-4
* On 2018 19 Nov 02:10 -0600, mick crane wrote:
> fetchmail for me had a problem with the ssl certificate of gmail which keeps
> changing seemingly depending on which server connect to. Probably is fixable
> but was easier to use getmail.

I don't have a gmail account so I haven't run into that.  I only receive
POP3 mail at my n0nb.us domain so fetchmail still works well for me.