fetchmail timeout

Pierre Frenkiel
hi,
I have the following problem with fetchmail:
     fetchmail: timeout after 300 seconds waiting for server imap.gmail.com.
     here is my .fetchmailrc

set logfile "/data/home/frenkiel/log/fetchmail"
set pidfile "/data/home/frenkiel/.fetchmail.pid"
set postmaster "frenkiel"
set nobouncemail
set no spambounce
set properties ""
set daemon 15
set invisible
poll imap.gmail.com with proto IMAP auth password
      interface enp0s31f6/192.168.1.12/255.255.255.255
      user 'pierre.frenkiel' there is 'frenkiel' here options fetchall stripcr ssl

      the password is set in .netrc

      please reply [hidden email]

best regards,
Pierre Frenkiel

Re: fetchmail timeout

Henning Follmann
On Sat, Mar 28, 2020 at 06:35:04PM +0100, Pierre Frenkiel wrote:

> hi,
> I have the following problem with fetchmail:
>     fetchmail: timeout after 300 seconds waiting for server imap.gmail.com.
>     here is my .fetchmailrc
>

> set logfile "/data/home/frenkiel/log/fetchmail"
> set pidfile "/data/home/frenkiel/.fetchmail.pid"
> set postmaster "frenkiel"
> set nobouncemail
> set no spambounce
> set properties ""
> set daemon 15
> set invisible
> poll imap.gmail.com with proto IMAP auth password
>      interface enp0s31f6/192.168.1.12/255.255.255.255
>      user 'pierre.frenkiel' there is 'frenkiel' here options fetchall stripcr ssl
>
>      the password is set in .netrc
>

>      please reply [hidden email]

Google mail is broken. Consider a decent mail provider instead.

However. Did this ever work? Or are you just trying to set this up?
If you are just setting this up, did you authorize for "less secure"
access to that account?
This is Googles spin to make everyones life miserable.

-H

Henning Follmann           | [hidden email]

Re: fetchmail timeout

Reco
        Hi.

On Sat, Mar 28, 2020 at 06:35:04PM +0100, Pierre Frenkiel wrote:
> hi,
> I have the following problem with fetchmail:
>     fetchmail: timeout after 300 seconds waiting for server imap.gmail.com.
>     here is my .fetchmailrc

fetchmail -v

Reco

Re: fetchmail timeout

Cindy Sue Causey
On 3/28/20, Pierre Frenkiel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> hi,
> I have the following problem with fetchmail:
>      fetchmail: timeout after 300 seconds waiting for server
> imap.gmail.com.
>      here is my .fetchmailrc

Poking my nose in to say that Gmail AND Youtube were down in last
couple days. I only know this because it was a "trending" topic so it
was an at least somewhat notable outage. My usage wasn't affected. It
was one of those times that location may or may not have played an
immediate effect.

While checking trending one more time to see if there were any current
references, a new trending topic is that Twitter direct messages are
taking a hit right now. It all seems an understandable, predictable
social networking side effect in light of our World's current health
situation. Lots of folks turning to the Internet to stay in touch
while physically isolated from each other.

Cindy... Hoping everyone is safe and well.....
--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* (still) runs with birdseed *

[OT] COVID-19 (Was: Re: fetchmail timeout)

Byung-Hee HWANG (황병희, 黃炳熙)
Cindy Sue Causey <[hidden email]> writes:

> While checking trending one more time to see if there were any current
> references, a new trending topic is that Twitter direct messages are
> taking a hit right now. It all seems an understandable, predictable
> social networking side effect in light of our World's current health
> situation. Lots of folks turning to the Internet to stay in touch
> while physically isolated from each other.
>
> Cindy... Hoping everyone is safe and well.....

Cindy! I hope you always stay health and happy^^^

Sincerely, Byung-Hee from South Korea

^고맙습니다 _白衣從軍_ 감사합니다_^))//

Re: fetchmail timeout

Byung-Hee HWANG (황병희, 黃炳熙)
Pierre Frenkiel <[hidden email]> writes:

> poll imap.gmail.com with proto IMAP auth password

It is just side comments. There is alternative software. The name is
getmail[*]. The getmail supports Gmail's label. It is available to
downloading messages from each Gmail's label. Personaly i use getmail
with Gnus. Always i'm happy with getmail + Gnus ^^^

[*] http://pyropus.ca/software/getmail/

Sincerely, Byung-Hee

^고맙습니다 _白衣從軍_ 감사합니다_^))//

Re: fetchmail timeout

tomas@tuxteam.de
On Sat, Mar 28, 2020 at 06:35:04PM +0100, Pierre Frenkiel wrote:
> hi,
> I have the following problem with fetchmail:
>     fetchmail: timeout after 300 seconds waiting for server imap.gmail.com.
>     here is my .fetchmailrc

If I followed correctly, you're trying to access gmail at
the "traditional" imap port (that's 143). There is nobody
there answering the calls. Try imaps (i.e. 993), either through
fetchmail's option "-P 993" or "--service imaps".

Perhaps you'll have to play with options --ssl (and possibly
with --sslproto, although that's improbable). See manpage.

And, oh, I agree with the others. Try to avoid Google as
your mail provider.

HTH
-- tomás

Re: fetchmail timeout

Cindy Sue Causey

> On Sat, Mar 28, 2020 at 06:35:04PM +0100, Pierre Frenkiel wrote:
>> hi,
>> I have the following problem with fetchmail:
>>     fetchmail: timeout after 300 seconds waiting for server
>> imap.gmail.com.
>>     here is my .fetchmailrc
>
> If I followed correctly, you're trying to access gmail at
> the "traditional" imap port (that's 143). There is nobody
> there answering the calls. Try imaps (i.e. 993), either through
> fetchmail's option "-P 993" or "--service imaps".
>
> Perhaps you'll have to play with options --ssl (and possibly
> with --sslproto, although that's improbable). See manpage.
>
> And, oh, I agree with the others. Try to avoid Google as
> your mail provider.

Poking my nose in again. I CC'd on this one because (I think I
remember) there being that request. I'm WAY behind on everything so
just now found this that had bounced back in response:

+++++
FROM: [hidden email]<[hidden email]> Sun, Mar 29, 2020
at 3:08 PM
TO: ButterflyBytes

Delivery has failed to these recipients or groups:

*******@******

Your message wasn't delivered. Despite repeated attempts to deliver
your message, the recipient's email system refused to accept a
connection from your email system.
+++++

Message went on to say I should try a phone, yada, grin. To the OP who
started this, maybe playing around with multiple email addresses is
throwing a kink in things?

OR NOT.

Decided it should be mentioned since this was just found.

Please be safe out there, everyone................

PS As an afterthought, my Gmail has been just a tiny bit "hinky"
today. Takes several refreshes for pages to load after they....
*timeout* in Firefox ESR browser. Seemed also worth noting. :)

Cindy.....
--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* runs with a fresh refresh of birdseed *

Re: fetchmail timeout

Pierre Frenkiel-4
>>> I have the following problem with fetchmail:
>>>     fetchmail: timeout after 300 seconds waiting for server
>>> imap.gmail.com.

   hi,
   the fix I found was to abandon fetchmail. I'm using now getmail, which
   works perfectly

best regards,
Pierre Frenkiel

Re: fetchmail timeout

songbird
Pierre Frenkiel wrote:

>    hi,
>    the fix I found was to abandon fetchmail. I'm using now getmail, which
>    works perfectly
>
> best regards,

  yes, but don't get too complacent as eventually
getmail goes away if nobody ports it to python3.

  songbird

Re: fetchmail timeout

Pierre Frenkiel-4
On Sat, 4 Apr 2020, songbird wrote:

>  yes, but don't get too complacent as eventually
> getmail goes away if nobody ports it to python3.

    thank you for the advice, but I imagine it will not disappear from my disk,
    even if it is no more supported.

best regards,
Pierre Frenkiel

Re: fetchmail timeout

Andrei POPESCU-2
On Sb, 04 apr 20, 12:44:38, Pierre Frenkiel wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Apr 2020, songbird wrote:
>
> >  yes, but don't get too complacent as eventually
> > getmail goes away if nobody ports it to python3.
> >
>    thank you for the advice, but I imagine it will not disappear from my disk,
>    even if it is no more supported.

You have to keep also a Python 2 interpreter for it.

Kind regards,
Andrei

Re: fetchmail timeout

Pierre Frenkiel-4
On Sat, 4 Apr 2020, Andrei POPESCU wrote:

> You have to keep also a Python 2 interpreter for it.

   same question: why would it disapear ?

best regards,
Pierre Frenkiel

Re: fetchmail timeout

songbird
Pierre Frenkiel wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Apr 2020, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
>
>> You have to keep also a Python 2 interpreter for it.
>
>    same question: why would it disapear ?
>
> best regards,

  because eventually it stops being packaged or kept up
and gets left behind long enough that nobody cares to do
any work on it.

  in my nosing around i've found this:

  https://gitlab.com/dkg/getmail/commits/python3

  can anyone verify this is an only python3 version?  i'm not
a python wizard to be able to know.

  i did grab it and try it out and it works for me.

  songbird

Re: fetchmail timeout

songbird
songbird wrote:
>   in my nosing around i've found this:
>
>   https://gitlab.com/dkg/getmail/commits/python3

  i meant that to be:

    https://gitlab.com/dkg/getmail

  songbird

Re: fetchmail timeout

Andrei POPESCU-2
On Sb, 04 apr 20, 19:30:05, Pierre Frenkiel wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Apr 2020, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
>
> > You have to keep also a Python 2 interpreter for it.
>
>   same question: why would it disapear ?

Because it's not supported upstream anymore.

https://legacy.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0373/

Debian is actively working on removing it and as far as I recall the
developers hope to complete this in time for the bullseye release.

https://wiki.debian.org/Python/2Removal

Kind regards,
Andrei

Re: fetchmail timeout

celejar
On Sat, 4 Apr 2020 06:34:41 -0400
songbird <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >    hi,
> >    the fix I found was to abandon fetchmail. I'm using now getmail, which
> >    works perfectly
> >
> > best regards,
>
>   yes, but don't get too complacent as eventually
> getmail goes away if nobody ports it to python3.

Upstream is potentially interested in moving to python3, but
it's not clear when / if this will happen. Discussion:

https://marc.info/?l=getmail&m=157365887605305&w=2

Celejar

Re: fetchmail timeout

songbird
Celejar wrote:
> https://marc.info/?l=getmail&m=157365887605305&w=2

  well that didn't happen and as soon as anyone
expressed any interest in carrying patches Osamu
pretty much just said take over the package because
he wasn't interested in it any more.  and then the
topic dropped because nobody wanted to pick it up.

  the original author of the package made some
noises about how much work it would take to make
all the changes and someone else just did it.

  if the link i posted in this thread is correct and
the person did convert it to python3 there was no
comment by anyone or the original author.  so to me
it looks like they aren't that interested or it would
have been merged and kept up (even if in another
branch).

  i grabbed it myself just in case it actually does
keep working after python2 goes away.  my initial
test of it was that it worked, but i dunno if that
test was correct.

  i've also investigated other packages but they are
not drop in replacements so that means more work i
don't have time for at the moment.

  songbird

Re: fetchmail timeout

Pierre Frenkiel-4
On Sun, 5 Apr 2020, songbird wrote:

> Celejar wrote:
>> https://marc.info/?l=getmail&m=157365887605305&w=2

  let them remove getmail if thay are not able to support it.
  As I'm perfectly happy with the present Debian version,
  I'll just keep it, disabling my upgrade process, until getmail support
  reappears.

best regards,
Pierre Frenkiel

Re: fetchmail timeout

Pierre Frenkiel-4
On Sun, 5 Apr 2020, Pierre Frenkiel wrote:

> let them remove getmail if thay are not able to support it.
> As I'm perfectly happy with the present Debian version,
> I'll just keep it, disabling my upgrade process, until getmail support
> reappears.

   actually, I was too drastic: as "apt-get upgrade" gives all actions
   that would be taken(upgraded, removed and new packages)
   it's easy to cancel the upgrade if it wants to remove getmail

best regards,
--
Pierre Frenkiel

12