Quantcast

format usb drive

BartlebyScrivener-2
When I do >sudo fdisk -l

This is what I get for the USB drive.

Disk /dev/sda: 62 MB, 62914560 bytes
2 heads, 63 sectors/track, 975 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 126 * 512 = 64512 bytes

   Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1   *           1         976       61424    6  FAT16
Partition 1 has different physical/logical beginnings (non-Linux?):
     phys=(0, 1, 1) logical=(0, 0, 33)
Partition 1 has different physical/logical endings:
     phys=(1023, 1, 63) logical=(975, 0, 30)

I tried to format the whole thing with FAT32 by doing:
sudo mkdosfs -F 32 /dev/sda1

Can someone please tell me what command to use to elmininate any
partitions on the usb drive and format it for moving files between
Windows XP and Linux?

Thank you,

RD

Re: format usb drive

BartlebyScrivener-2
On Jan 28, 5:00 pm, BartlebyScrivener <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I tried to format the whole thing with FAT32 by doing:
> sudo mkdosfs -F 32 /dev/sda1
>
> Can someone please tell me what command to use to elmininate any
> partitions on the usb drive and format it for moving files between
> Windows XP and Linux?
>
> Thank you,
>
> RD

Never mind. Sorry for the trouble. I didn't realize that gparted does
usb drives. I think I have it.

Thanks

RD

Re: format usb drive

Paul Johnson
On Jan 28, 2008 2:37 PM, BartlebyScrivener <[hidden email]> wrote:

> When I do >sudo fdisk -l
>
> This is what I get for the USB drive.
>
> Disk /dev/sda: 62 MB, 62914560 bytes
> 2 heads, 63 sectors/track, 975 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 126 * 512 = 64512 bytes
>
>    Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
> /dev/sda1   *           1         976       61424    6  FAT16
> Partition 1 has different physical/logical beginnings (non-Linux?):
>      phys=(0, 1, 1) logical=(0, 0, 33)
> Partition 1 has different physical/logical endings:
>      phys=(1023, 1, 63) logical=(975, 0, 30)
>
> I tried to format the whole thing with FAT32 by doing:
> sudo mkdosfs -F 32 /dev/sda1
>
> Can someone please tell me what command to use to elmininate any
> partitions on the usb drive and format it for moving files between
> Windows XP and Linux?

Try this:

# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda
# mkfs.vfat /dev/sda

--
Paul Johnson

Re: format usb drive

Douglas A. Tutty
On Mon, Jan 28, 2008 at 02:37:32PM -0800, BartlebyScrivener wrote:

> Can someone please tell me what command to use to elmininate any
> partitions on the usb drive and format it for moving files between
> Windows XP and Linux?

On my USB stick (Kingston 4 GB), I just used cfdisk.  Removed any
existing partition, made a new one (sd?1) and put the FAT32 filesystem
on that.  I verified with a Windows user that they could read the drive.

Doug.

Re: format usb drive

Magnus Therning
BartlebyScrivener wrote:
[..]
> Can someone please tell me what command to use to elmininate any
> partitions on the usb drive and format it for moving files between
> Windows XP and Linux?

My experience is that Windows is a lot more particular about USB keys
than Linux is.  My suggestion would be to use your Windows box to format
the USB key to make sure it's readable by both systems.

/M

--
Magnus Therning                             (OpenPGP: 0xAB4DFBA4)
magnus@therning.org             Jabber: magnus.therning@gmail.com

What if I don't want to obey the laws? Do they throw me in jail with
the other bad monads?
     -- Daveman

Re: format usb drive

Russell L. Harris-2
* Magnus Therning <[hidden email]> [080129 03:07]:
> BartlebyScrivener wrote:
> [..]
> > Can someone please tell me what command to use to elmininate any
> > partitions on the usb drive and format it for moving files between
> > Windows XP and Linux?
>
> My experience is that Windows is a lot more particular about USB keys
> than Linux is.  My suggestion would be to use your Windows box to format
> the USB key to make sure it's readable by both systems.

I have experienced no difficulty with W2000 after using fdisk to
rewrite the partitions and then mkfs.vfat to create the file system.
Look over the pertinent man pages.

On occasion I have experienced difficulty partitioning USB flash
sticks with either cfdisk or fdisk, but one or the other always has
worked.

If all else fails, you can let Window$ do it's (black) magic on the
device.

RLH

Re: format usb drive

Csanyi Pal
2008/1/29, Russell L. Harris <[hidden email]>:
> * Magnus Therning <[hidden email]> [080129 03:07]:
> > BartlebyScrivener wrote:
> > [..]
> > > Can someone please tell me what command to use to elmininate any
> > > partitions on the usb drive and format it for moving files between
> > > Windows XP and Linux?

I used gparted to format my usb drive to ext3.

gparted can to format to fat32 too, so you can to try to format
your usb drive with gparted.

--
Regards, Paul Csanyi