from scratch install of ibook

Riccardo Mottola
Hi all!

I extra bought another used iBook to test to do some PPC development...
now G4 instead of the ol' G3 which as too little ram, even if I love the
old clamshell. So I need to install "from scratch"

However, where do I get media for installing it and what is the
recommended way?  CD? USB key? The old clamshell did not boot from USB key.

Starting from: https://www.debian.org/ports/powerpc/#powerpc
32bit PPC is of course in the dust.

Also, since it is a from scratch install, I can test installing GRUB
instead of Yaboot, since I can decide all partition sizes and also I
don't risk destroying anything. I am not interested in dual booting.

A reference to trying out that (or if the instalelr does all by itself
for that too.. then, even better).

Thanks,

Riccardo

Re: from scratch install of ibook

John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
Hi Riccardo!

On 11/13/18 12:29 PM, Riccardo Mottola wrote:
> However, where do I get media for installing it and what is the recommended way?  CD? USB key? The old clamshell did not boot from USB key.
>
> Starting from: https://www.debian.org/ports/powerpc/#powerpc
> 32bit PPC is of course in the dust.

ISO media is available here: https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/ports/10.0/powerpc/iso-cd/

Last time I tested it on my iBook G4, it worked without problems. However,
recently, some PowerPC-specific packages were removed from the archives
which could affect the installation process.

So, please let me know on the mailing list if you run into any issues.

> Also, since it is a from scratch install, I can test installing GRUB instead of Yaboot, since I can decide all partition sizes and also I don't risk destroying anything. I am not interested in dual booting.

Good idea. Unfortunately, if you want to use GRUB on a PPC-Mac (unlike
a PPC machine from IBM, i.e. CHRP), you will have to set up and install
GRUB yourself. There are posts on this mailing list by Frank Scheiner
where he explains how that's done.

Getting GRUB work on the PPC Macs out-of-the-box is still an item on
our TODO list. We should probably have a Debian Ports sprint at some
point to address all these tiny issues.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz

Re: from scratch install of ibook

mickbert
On 13.11.2018 12:43, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:

> Last time I tested it on my iBook G4, it worked without problems.
> However,
> recently, some PowerPC-specific packages were removed from the archives
> which could affect the installation process.

It was exactly the yaboot, whose last version gave a critical error at
the very
beginning of first boot. I resolved (as suggested in this list) by using
the
installation CD to boot into the newly installed partition, and
downgrade the
yaboot package.

Moreover there wasn't any valid entry in /etc/apt.d/sources.list

Mick

Re: from scratch install of ibook

John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
Hello!

On 11/13/18 2:49 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
> It was exactly the yaboot, whose last version gave a critical error at the very
> beginning of first boot. I resolved (as suggested in this list) by using the
> installation CD to boot into the newly installed partition, and downgrade the
> yaboot package.

Yes, I'm aware of the issues with Yaboot which is why we want to get rid of it.

It's unfortunately a bit tricky to get GRUB usable out-of-the-box on PPC Macs
as compared to IBM PPC machines.

> Moreover there wasn't any valid entry in /etc/apt.d/sources.list

This will be resolved once we build updated installation images which are
based on Debian Ports.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz

Re: from scratch install of ibook

Riccardo Mottola
Hi Adrian!

first the good news, the CD boots... and appears to work.
Now to the more difficult things.

John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> Yes, I'm aware of the issues with Yaboot which is why we want to get rid of it.
>
> It's unfortunately a bit tricky to get GRUB usable out-of-the-box on PPC Macs
> as compared to IBM PPC machines.

I did not find the tutorials and just accepted everything the installer
proposed, inclusing partition sizes.

I tihnk to remember that the default partition sizes were for yaBoot and
too small for GRUB, however yaboot issues seem fixed. Read below.

>> Moreover there wasn't any valid entry in /etc/apt.d/sources.list
> This will be resolved once we build updated installation images which are
> based on Debian Ports.

I think I hit this issue earlier. I am using your netinst CD, thus I
suppose that eventually I need to download stuff from other mirrors.

During mirror selection I tried selecting different servers in Italy or
Germany and all fail. I checked in console 4 the log and see
"invalid Architectures in Release file for sid"

Of course, we don't want sid for PPC anymore, right?

Anyway, I yielded a booting system! that's also still a nice thing.
Yaboot works!

X doesn't work... some Xorg failure.. but that's a different issue,
let's check base abd boot stuff 100% first.

Riccardo

On 14.11.2018 02:04, Riccardo Mottola wrote:

> X doesn't work... some Xorg failure.. but that's a different issue,
> let's check base abd boot stuff 100% first.

I confirm. I had completely forgotten I had the same issue, and
unfortunately I forgot even how I solved it. Probably just updating
once configured the right repository.
--
Mick