gcc-4.6 -msmall-data

Bob Tracy
Maybe I missed it, but was there a solution (or at least an
explanation) for the gcc-4.6 kernel build issue where we were getting
GPREL16 errors when using the "-msmall-data" flag?

--Bob

Re: gcc-4.6 -msmall-data

Michael Cree
On Tue, December 20, 2011 1:02 pm, Bob Tracy wrote:
> Maybe I missed it, but was there a solution (or at least an
> explanation) for the gcc-4.6 kernel build issue where we were getting
> GPREL16 errors when using the "-msmall-data" flag?

You can change -msmall-data to -mlarge-data in arch/alpha/Makefile.  I
believe it results in extra CPU instructions to reference the data
segment, so a slightly larger kernel, and potentially less efficient (I
have little idea what the impact is).

Why gcc-4.6 creates a data segment too large for 64kB when gcc-4.4 can fit
it in was never explained.

Cheers
Michael