gconf not working properly

"Rubén Porras"
Hello, i have a big problem, gconfd doesn't recognise my previous gconf values. Desktop background, nautilus preferences...

As a consecuence i've lost all my evolution email settings, and when I start evolution, it asks for new configuration.
I've checked that gconf doesn't have proper values with gconf-editor

This occurs since a bad shutdown, but i'm not sure if this is the reason or the new upload to unstable.
I've copied ~/.evolution and ~/.gconf/apps/evolution to a new user, with identical results. Then i did the same to another computer still with gnome 2.10, and evolution works ok.

Just in case some file were broken in my system after the shutdown, i did
cd /var/cache/apt/archives
dpkg -i *.deb

but this didn't solve the problem and made me think that the problem is with some debian package, I also have this problem (#347528), but i don't know if it's related or not.

Re: gconf not working properly

Josselin Mouette-2
Le mercredi 11 janvier 2006 à 12:18 +0100, Rubén Porras a écrit :
> Hello, i have a big problem, gconfd doesn't recognise my previous
> gconf values. Desktop background, nautilus preferences...

Could you please 'ls -l' the contents of your ~/.gconf directory ?

Josselin Mouette                  /\./\
                                                 pouet
                                                     pouet
« Sans puissance, la maîtrise n'est rien. »

2006/1/11, Josselin Mouette <[hidden email]>:
Le mercredi 11 janvier 2006 à 12:18 +0100, Rubén Porras a écrit :
> Hello, i have a big problem, gconfd doesn't recognise my previous
> gconf values. Desktop background, nautilus preferences...

Could you please 'ls -l' the contents of your ~/.gconf directory ?

$ ls -l .gconf
insgesamt 72
drwx------ 25 bennett bennett  4096 2005-11-30 17:54 apps
drwx------  4 bennett bennett    99 2006-01-04 17:03 desktop
-rw-------  1 bennett bennett 67216 2006-01-11 22:03 %gconf- tree.xml
drwx------  3 bennett bennett    68 2005-09-13 23:47 GNOME
drwx------  3 bennett bennett    68 2005-09-14 00:35 system

Le mercredi 11 janvier 2006 à 22:10 +0100, Rubén Porras a écrit :
>         Could you please 'ls -l' the contents of your ~/.gconf
>         directory ?

> $ ls -l .gconf
> insgesamt 72
> drwx------ 25 bennett bennett  4096 2005-11-30 17:54 apps
> drwx------  4 bennett bennett    99 2006-01-04 17:03 desktop
> -rw-------  1 bennett bennett 67216 2006-01-11 22:03 %gconf- tree.xml
> drwx------  3 bennett bennett    68 2005-09-13 23:47 GNOME
> drwx------  3 bennett bennett    68 2005-09-14 00:35 system

OK, I see what's wrong. I have based the checks on the existence of a
file named %gconf.xml in the root directory, but it isn't enough in your
case.

To find your previous settings, you have to create an empty file named
%gconf.xml and remove the %gconf-tree.xml file. Of course, I will fix
the package so that such breakage doesn't happen anymore.

 .''`.           Josselin Mouette        /\./\
: :' :           [hidden email]
`. `'                        [hidden email]
  `-  Debian GNU/Linux -- The power of freedom

Le mercredi 11 janvier 2006 à 22:39 +0100, Josselin Mouette a écrit :

> Le mercredi 11 janvier 2006 à 22:10 +0100, Rubén Porras a écrit :
> >         Could you please 'ls -l' the contents of your ~/.gconf
> >         directory ?
>
> > $ ls -l .gconf
> > insgesamt 72
> > drwx------ 25 bennett bennett  4096 2005-11-30 17:54 apps
> > drwx------  4 bennett bennett    99 2006-01-04 17:03 desktop
> > -rw-------  1 bennett bennett 67216 2006-01-11 22:03 %gconf- tree.xml
> > drwx------  3 bennett bennett    68 2005-09-13 23:47 GNOME
> > drwx------  3 bennett bennett    68 2005-09-14 00:35 system
> >

> OK, I see what's wrong. I have based the checks on the existence of a
> file named %gconf.xml in the root directory, but it isn't enough in your
> case.

On second thought, this should have worked nevertheless.

> To find your previous settings, you have to create an empty file named
> %gconf.xml and remove the %gconf-tree.xml file.

Still, I'd like to know what happens if:
1. you remove the %gconf-tree.xml file and log in again;
2. you remove the %gconf-tree.xml file, create an empty %gconf.xml and
log in again.

In both cases, are you asked for migration? Do you get your settings
correctly then?

Am Donnerstag, den 12.01.2006, 11:12 +0100 schrieb Josselin Mouette:
> Still, I'd like to know what happens if:
> 1. you remove the %gconf-tree.xml file and log in again;
> 2. you remove the %gconf-tree.xml file, create an empty %gconf.xml and
> log in again.
>
> In both cases, are you asked for migration? Do you get your settings
> correctly then?

I did the second one, as you told me in your previous email, i was asked
for migration, i answer yes, and i get my settings back correctly.