get an alert when a mail arrives from certain addresses

get an alert when a mail arrives from certain addresses

sp007@caiway.net
Hello,

I am using Claws Mail since ages. Very good!
Now I want to get an alert when a mail arrives from certain addresses.
Studied the preferences I don't find an option.
I guess I have to take a look at a command line solution.
Check mail every minute, check the sender, Alert

Any advice is welcome!
Thanks!

Re: get an alert when a mail arrives from certain addresses

Dan Ritter-4
[hidden email] wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am using Claws Mail since ages. Very good!
> Now I want to get an alert when a mail arrives from certain addresses.
> Studied the preferences I don't find an option.
> I guess I have to take a look at a command line solution.
> Check mail every minute, check the sender, Alert
>
> Any advice is welcome!

You want to use a mail filtering program. Usually people
recommend procmail, but honestly, everyone who used procmail
whom I have introduced to the maildrop mailfilter has switched
over.

sudo apt install maildrop

-dsr-

Re: get an alert when a mail arrives from certain addresses

sp007@caiway.net

> You want to use a mail filtering program. Usually people
> recommend procmail, but honestly, everyone who used procmail
> whom I have introduced to the maildrop mailfilter has switched
> over.
>
> sudo apt install maildrop
>
> -dsr-

Thanks for the suggestion!
Could you tell a bit more on how to integrate this with Claws
Mail?
I am used to Claws Mail, I love it,  but my domoticz software sends
urgent alerts, I want to be announced directly.

Or should I use search engine searx?

Thanks!

Re: get an alert when a mail arrives from certain addresses

007@caiway.net
On Fri, 22 Nov 2019 04:37:21 +0100
"[hidden email]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > You want to use a mail filtering program. Usually people
> > recommend procmail, but honestly, everyone who used procmail
> > whom I have introduced to the maildrop mailfilter has switched
> > over.
> >
> > sudo apt install maildrop

Thanks again, my searx search engine did not not give any hints in 40 or
so hits.
I am in virgin waters probably

Thanks!

Re: get an alert when a mail arrives from certain addresses

tomas@tuxteam.de
On Fri, Nov 22, 2019 at 02:17:09AM +0100, [hidden email] wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am using Claws Mail since ages. Very good!
> Now I want to get an alert when a mail arrives from certain addresses.

This will depend on the resto of your mail setup.

Does your "Claws Mail" (this is your "Mail User Agent" or MUA) fetch
the mail from somewhere else? Or from "your computer"? In the first
case you perhaps have to change your set-up in a way that your mail
is fetched by some intermediate software (for example "fetchmail",
but there are many other options) -- and this can trigger whatever
actions (e.g. process via "procmail", as mentioned by Dan elsewhere
in this thread).

If Claws is doing that fetching job for you, you're at the mercy
of the Claws developers on whether they've thought of your needs.

Cheers
-- tomás

Re: get an alert when a mail arrives from certain addresses

darb
* [hidden email] wrote:
> I am using Claws Mail since ages. Very good!
> Now I want to get an alert when a mail arrives from certain addresses.
> Studied the preferences I don't find an option.
> I guess I have to take a look at a command line solution.
> Check mail every minute, check the sender, Alert

There looks to be an feature in claws mail called filter rules that
suits your needs. To create a new rule right click an email from the
sender and select create filter rule->by from. Add a name for the
rule and select an action to notify you such as:
execute "notify-send \"new message from %f\""
enable filter messages on receiving in the account preferences->receive
tab. This will send a desktop notification when you receive a message
from the specified sender.

Re: get an alert when a mail arrives from certain addresses

Byung-Hee HWANG (황병희, 黃炳熙)
> Any advice is welcome!

How about mobile phone SMS?
See https://aws.amazon.com/en/sns/sms-pricing/

Sincerely,

^고맙습니다 _地平天成_ 감사합니다_^))//

Re: get an alert when a mail arrives from certain addresses

007@caiway.net
On Fri, 22 Nov 2019 20:41:04 +1100
darb <[hidden email]> wrote:

> * [hidden email] wrote:
> > I am using Claws Mail since ages. Very good!
> > Now I want to get an alert when a mail arrives from certain
> > addresses. Studied the preferences I don't find an option.
> > I guess I have to take a look at a command line solution.
> > Check mail every minute, check the sender, Alert
>
> There looks to be an feature in claws mail called filter rules that
> suits your needs. To create a new rule right click an email from the
> sender and select create filter rule->by from. Add a name for the
> rule and select an action to notify you such as:
> execute "notify-send \"new message from %f\""
> enable filter messages on receiving in the account
> preferences->receive tab. This will send a desktop notification when
> you receive a message from the specified sender.

I will take a look into this option!

Thanks very much!

Re: get an alert when a mail arrives from certain addresses

007@caiway.net

> If Claws is doing that fetching job for you, you're at the mercy
> of the Claws developers on whether they've thought of your needs.
>
> Cheers
> -- tomás

Claws is doing that fetching job for me at the moment (and for the
last 10 years or so).
But I need to chance that because everything has to be functioning
headless.
I wil have a look into that fetching from the command line.
Thanks a lot!

Re: get an alert when a mail arrives from certain addresses

Gene Heskett-4
On Friday 22 November 2019 22:27:46 [hidden email] wrote:

> > If Claws is doing that fetching job for you, you're at the mercy
> > of the Claws developers on whether they've thought of your needs.
> >
> > Cheers
> > -- tomás
>
> Claws is doing that fetching job for me at the moment (and for the
> last 10 years or so).
> But I need to chance that because everything has to be functioning
> headless.
> I wil have a look into that fetching from the command line.

Just one of the reasons I use fetchmail and procmail as background
processes. Removing the fetching duties from kmail makes it a lot
smoother and friendlier. By watching their activities of depositing
incoming mail in /var/mail/*, kmail knows within microseconds as
inotifywait sends kmail a message when /var/mail/* is closed. Editing
this message you are reading has so far used one mouse click.  Computers
are supposed to save you work, not make it. Now I'll send this with a
ctrl+return, and the + key takes me to the next unread massage.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis

Re: get an alert when a mail arrives from certain addresses

007@caiway.net

> Just one of the reasons I use fetchmail and procmail as background
> processes. Removing the fetching duties from kmail makes it a lot
> smoother and friendlier. By watching their activities of depositing
> incoming mail in /var/mail/*, kmail knows within microseconds as
> inotifywait sends kmail a message when /var/mail/* is closed. Editing
> this message you are reading has so far used one mouse click.
> Computers are supposed to save you work, not make it. Now I'll send
> this with a ctrl+return, and the + key takes me to the next unread
> massage.
>
> Cheers, Gene Heskett
So I guess I will have to investigate in fetchmail and/or procmail...

Thanks for yor proposal!

Re: get an alert when a mail arrives from certain addresses

Byung-Hee HWANG (황병희, 黃炳熙)
> So I guess I will have to investigate in fetchmail [...]

As like fetchmai1, getmail also looks good.

Sincerely,

^고맙습니다 _地平天成_ 감사합니다_^))//

Re: get an alert when a mail arrives from certain addresses

Eric S Fraga
On Saturday, 23 Nov 2019 at 05:39, [hidden email] wrote:
> So I guess I will have to investigate in fetchmail and/or procmail...

Also have a look at mailfilter in lieu of procmail.

Eric S Fraga via Emacs 27.0.50 & org 9.2.6 on Debian bullseye/sid

Re: get an alert when a mail arrives from certain addresses

Brian
On Sat 23 Nov 2019 at 12:03:25 +0000, Eric S Fraga wrote:

> On Saturday, 23 Nov 2019 at 05:39, [hidden email] wrote:
> > So I guess I will have to investigate in fetchmail and/or procmail...
>
> Also have a look at mailfilter in lieu of procmail.

Why? They do different things.

Brian.

On Saturday 23 November 2019 15:39:28 Brian wrote:

> On Sat 23 Nov 2019 at 12:03:25 +0000, Eric S Fraga wrote:
> > On Saturday, 23 Nov 2019 at 05:39, [hidden email] wrote:
> > > So I guess I will have to investigate in fetchmail and/or
> > > procmail...
> >
> > Also have a look at mailfilter in lieu of procmail.
>
> Why? They do different things.

And mailfilter will soon be overwhelmed due to the maximum size of its
reject file.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis

Re: get an alert when a mail arrives from certain addresses

Curt
On 2019-11-24, Gene Heskett <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> > Also have a look at mailfilter in lieu of procmail.
>>
>> Why? They do different things.
>
> And mailfilter will soon be overwhelmed due to the maximum size of its
> reject file.

And the OP has zero reason to appeal to an external program, AFAIK, and
as demonstrated by a previous poster, given that Claws Mail's internal
filtering system seems capable of handling his request quite easily.

--
“The cradle rocks above an abyss, and common sense tells us that our existence
is but a brief crack of light between two eternities of darkness.”