getmail/mutt noob questions

Glenn English-5
mailServer == RPi3 Raspian Stretch (on a T1), IMAP
mailReceiver == supermicro 64 bit Buster, mbox
~.getmail/getmailrc:

[retriever]
type = SimpleIMAPRetriever
server = srv.slsware.net
username = ghe
password = <redacted>

[destination]
type = Mboxrd
path = /var/mail/ghe

[options]
verbose = 1
# read_all = false
# delete = true
message_log_syslog = true

They're running, but not quite

1) How do I get getmail to quit getting all the email on the server?
In mutt, I delete all the unwanted mail, and getmail just puts it back
next time I run it. And when I run it again, the emails are all in
there twice.

2) Is there any documentation on getmail besides the man page and some
howTo help on the web?

3) I seem to remember, from long ago, something about mutt ignoring
HTML email. Does it still? And if so, what does it do? Just pretend
they don't exist, or just display the text, or delete the HTML part
and display what's left? I don't see much about this in the man page,
and most of the stuff on the web isn't dated.

4) What do read_all, delete, and message_log_syslog mean?

Glenn English

Re: getmail/mutt noob questions

songbird
Glenn English wrote:

> mailServer == RPi3 Raspian Stretch (on a T1), IMAP
> mailReceiver == supermicro 64 bit Buster, mbox
> ~.getmail/getmailrc:
>
> [retriever]
> type = SimpleIMAPRetriever
> server = srv.slsware.net
> username = ghe
> password = <redacted>
>
> [destination]
> type = Mboxrd
> path = /var/mail/ghe
>
> [options]
> verbose = 1
> # read_all = false
> # delete = true
> message_log_syslog = true
>

> They're running, but not quite
>
> 1) How do I get getmail to quit getting all the email on the server?
> In mutt, I delete all the unwanted mail, and getmail just puts it back
> next time I run it. And when I run it again, the emails are all in
> there twice.

  sorry, i'm not able to dig into this more at the
moment but i can answer from the setup that i have
perspective.

  i set delete to true and use maildrop to put it
where i want it.  maildrop can put copies in a second
place if you want to compare what you get to what was
sent (if you suspect you've accidentally filtered spam
or such).

  have you tried running it with the -n option?
(get unread messages only?)

  i use a script which looks in a directory for
files which say what mail accounts to get

the script looks like:
=====
#!/bin/sh
set -e
cd /home/me/.getmail
date
rcfiles=""
for file in rc-* ; do
  rcfiles="$rcfiles --rcfile=/home/me/.getmail/$file"
done
exec /usr/bin/getmail -a $rcfiles $@
=====

a file in that directory looks like:

=====
[options]
verbose = 2
delete = true
delivered_to = false
received = false

[retriever]
type = SimplePOP3SSLRetriever
server = mail.someplace.com
username = [hidden email]
port = 995
password = somepassword

[destination]
#type = Maildir
#path = ~/.mutt/Maildir.test/
type = MDA_external
path = /usr/bin/maildrop
unixfrom = True
=====

and then the maildrop file looks like:

=====
cc $HOME/.mutt/backup
if ( /^To:.*sales@someplace*/ )
 exit
elsif (/^To:.*test@someplace\.com>/ ))
 to $HOME/.mutt/Maildir.test
=====

> 2) Is there any documentation on getmail besides the man page and some
> howTo help on the web?

  i didn't need it, didn't look...

> 3) I seem to remember, from long ago, something about mutt ignoring
> HTML email. Does it still? And if so, what does it do? Just pretend
> they don't exist, or just display the text, or delete the HTML part
> and display what's left? I don't see much about this in the man page,
> and most of the stuff on the web isn't dated.

  you can set up mutt to do what you want it to based
upon the file type found.

  i have a .mailcap file in my .mutt directory which
contains this entry:

text/html; lynx -dump -force_html  %s; copiousoutput; description=HTML Text; nametemplate=%s.html

> 4) What do read_all, delete, and message_log_syslog mean?

  seems self-explanatory to me, -a gets all messages,
-d delete messages from server after retrieving, -n
get unread messages only.

  songbird

On Thu, Dec 6, 2018 at 10:37 PM songbird <[hidden email]> wrote:

>   sorry, i'm not able to dig into this more at the
> moment but i can answer from the setup that i have
> perspective.

Thank you, songbird. Your files say a lot.

--
Glenn English