gnome 2.12 unstable status

John McCutchan
Yo,

It's been 3 months since the release of gnome 2.12. What is holding it
back from sid? What is the status? What is the ETA?

Thanks
John McCutchan

Re: gnome 2.12 unstable status

Josselin Mouette
Le dimanche 11 décembre 2005 à 00:53 -0500, John McCutchan a écrit :
> Yo,
>
> It's been 3 months since the release of gnome 2.12. What is holding it
> back from sid? What is the status? What is the ETA?

GNOME 2.12 is being held in experimental due to the HAL transition.
There are other transitions running currently, so we have to wait for
them to finish. Then, we have to synchronize with KDE for the HAL
transition in unstable.

 .''`.           Josselin Mouette        /\./\
: :' :           [hidden email]
`. `'                        [hidden email]
  `-  Debian GNU/Linux -- The power of freedom

HAL transition [Re: gnome 2.12 unstable status]

Daniele Cruciani
I patched bluez-utils and bluez-pin for compiling/working with hal in
experimental, but I thing there are newer release upstream that do work
with newer hal.

Does anyone planed to upload newer release of bluez in experimental? (I
think it is a must in the road even before kde transition)

Cheers,
Daniele.
ps: I know little about alioth, can I upload a package there? could it
be useful for something?

--
Daniele Cruciani
http://www.smartango.com/

Re: HAL transition [Re: gnome 2.12 unstable status]

Loïc Minier
On Wed, Dec 14, 2005, Daniele Cruciani wrote:
> I patched bluez-utils and bluez-pin for compiling/working with hal in
> experimental, but I thing there are newer release upstream that do work
> with newer hal.

 It's nice to hear you prepared a bluez-pin patch too: I also tried
 building both bluez-utils and bluez-pin for experimental's HAL/DBUS,
 but could only get the bluez-utils part working.

 Maybe you can replace the patch in #338794 with your work?

> Does anyone planed to upload newer release of bluez in experimental? (I
> think it is a must in the road even before kde transition)

 You should talk with the bluez maintainer directly, he seems to be the
 upstream of the project too, and is probably in the best place to
 answer that.

--
Loïc Minier <[hidden email]>

Re: HAL transition [Re: gnome 2.12 unstable status]

Sjoerd Simons-2
On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 02:17:50PM +0100, Loïc Minier wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 14, 2005, Daniele Cruciani wrote:
> > I patched bluez-utils and bluez-pin for compiling/working with hal in
> > experimental, but I thing there are newer release upstream that do work
> > with newer hal.
>
>  It's nice to hear you prepared a bluez-pin patch too: I also tried
>  building both bluez-utils and bluez-pin for experimental's HAL/DBUS,
>  but could only get the bluez-utils part working.
>
>  Maybe you can replace the patch in #338794 with your work?
>
> > Does anyone planed to upload newer release of bluez in experimental? (I
> > think it is a must in the road even before kde transition)
>
>  You should talk with the bluez maintainer directly, he seems to be the
>  upstream of the project too, and is probably in the best place to
>  answer that.

There is actually a package team for bluetooth stuff these days. In their svn
repository (svn://svn.debian.org/pkg-bluetooth) you can find the package work
for recent versions.

I've been running snapshots of this on my laptop with the experimental dbus for
quite some time now without problems. (apart from dbus-pin still needing a
patch)

  Sjoerd
--
FORTUNE'S FUN FACTS TO KNOW AND TELL: #44
        Zebras are colored with dark stripes on a light background.

Il giorno mer, 14/12/2005 alle 14.17 +0100, Loïc Minier ha scritto:

> On Wed, Dec 14, 2005, Daniele Cruciani wrote:
> > I patched bluez-utils and bluez-pin for compiling/working with hal in
> > experimental, but I thing there are newer release upstream that do work
> > with newer hal.
>
>  It's nice to hear you prepared a bluez-pin patch too: I also tried
>  building both bluez-utils and bluez-pin for experimental's HAL/DBUS,
>  but could only get the bluez-utils part working.
>
>  Maybe you can replace the patch in #338794 with your work?
>
> > Does anyone planed to upload newer release of bluez in experimental? (I
> > think it is a must in the road even before kde transition)
>
>  You should talk with the bluez maintainer directly, he seems to be the
>  upstream of the project too, and is probably in the best place to
>  answer that.

in bluez-pin:

I changed line 88 of main.c:
dbus_acquire_acquire_service(,,);
with:
dbus_bus_request_name(,,);
(same parameter with same order)
Line 97: same change as above

in line 49 of main.c dbus_message_is_signal() function, second
parameter, for a define renamed (arround 02/2003), change from
DBUS_INTERFACE_ORG_FREEDESKTOP_LOCAL to DBUS_INTERFACE_LOCAL

in pin-dbus.c line 44 dbus_message_append_iter_init() with
dbus_message_iter_init_append(). in line 47
dbus_message_iter_append_string() with
dbus_message_iter_append_basic(&iter,dbus_message_type_from_string("string"),pin)

But in pin-dbus near line 100 there is:
if (type != DBUS_TYPE_ARRAY
        || !dbus_message_iter_get_byte_array(&iter,&bytes,&nbytes)
        || nbytes != sizeof(bdaddr))
{
 goto error
}
well, the second function disappear from header so i rewrite it simply
adding a call to dbus_message_iter_get_fixed_array(&iter,
&bytes,&nbytes) before the test. I really do not know how argument is
passed by dbus, so i do not know if this is ok or if it has to be used
another get function.
I ran this just one time and it seems to work, next I used a custom
script for bluez-pin (echo "PIN:1234";). I can look at code better, and
test too, but authors should fix it slightly quicker.. also I do not
look at the code, I just patch here and there.

--
Daniele Cruciani
http://www.smartango.com/
pub   1024D/79F0444B 2005-04-21 [expires: 2007-04-21]
Key fingerprint = CC22 ECBD 6F3C 0980 8E76  D61C 148E 3B00 79F0 444B
uid   Daniele Cruciani <[hidden email]>
http://www.smartango.com/files/daniele.asc

Re: HAL transition [Re: gnome 2.12 unstable status]

Daniele Cruciani
Hi, I checked, test and fixed some stupid thing on my first patch, I
think now it is ok. Since check the own work is not a nonsense anymore
in my Country, I attach it ;)

The patch is against bluez-pin 0.25.

--
Daniele Cruciani
http://www.smartango.com/
pub   1024D/79F0444B 2005-04-21 [expires: 2007-04-21]
Key fingerprint = CC22 ECBD 6F3C 0980 8E76  D61C 148E 3B00 79F0 444B
uid   Daniele Cruciani <[hidden email]>
http://www.smartango.com/files/daniele.asc

bluez-pin.dbus.patch (3K) Download Attachment