gnome fallback, etc??

Svante Signell
Hello,

Unfortunately I have to upgrade my Debian systems without changing the
desktop environment away from gnome3. Is there a way to have something
similar to gnome2, like the fallback (gone already?), applets in the
window list (like the netspeed applet), 2D instead of 3D, etc. I have
not found any menus for setting, e.g. 2D under gnome3. (my laptop
already has gdm3, I didn't find anything there).

Thanks!

Re: gnome fallback, etc??

Josselin Mouette
Le jeudi 28 juin 2012 à 12:45 +0200, Svante Signell a écrit :
> Unfortunately I have to upgrade my Debian systems without changing the
> desktop environment away from gnome3. Is there a way to have something
> similar to gnome2, like the fallback (gone already?), applets in the
> window list (like the netspeed applet), 2D instead of 3D, etc. I have
> not found any menus for setting, e.g. 2D under gnome3. (my laptop
> already has gdm3, I didn't find anything there).

You can select “GNOME Classic” as a session from the display manager.
It is extremely similar to GNOME 2, except that the panel is black and
you have to use alt+right click to configure it.

There is also still a netspeed package.

 .''`.      Josselin Mouette
: :' :
`. `'
  `-

Re: gnome fallback, etc??

Svante Signell
On Fri, 2012-06-29 at 00:23 +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:

> Le jeudi 28 juin 2012 à 12:45 +0200, Svante Signell a écrit :
> > Unfortunately I have to upgrade my Debian systems without changing the
> > desktop environment away from gnome3. Is there a way to have something
> > similar to gnome2, like the fallback (gone already?), applets in the
> > window list (like the netspeed applet), 2D instead of 3D, etc. I have
> > not found any menus for setting, e.g. 2D under gnome3. (my laptop
> > already has gdm3, I didn't find anything there).
>
> You can select “GNOME Classic” as a session from the display manager.
> It is extremely similar to GNOME 2, except that the panel is black and
> you have to use alt+right click to configure it.
>
> There is also still a netspeed package.

Thanks a lot, it seems to be located in gnome-session-fallback package.
And it will be part of Wheezy too? Some time ago the fallback version
was unavailable when a 2D solution was found.

BTW: I wonder how to configure applets and extended features with the
Gnome 3 session, provided by the gnome-applets and
gnome-shell-extensions packages. I did not find out how to do that,
still using it on the laptop. alt+right click does not work. And is
there a way to disable the 3D functions, the laptop has only 1GB memory
and a slow graphics card (I think it is an i915).

Thanks!

Re: gnome fallback, etc??

Roman V. Nikolaev
29.06.2012 02:23, Josselin Mouette пишет:

> Le jeudi 28 juin 2012 à 12:45 +0200, Svante Signell a écrit :
>> Unfortunately I have to upgrade my Debian systems without changing the
>> desktop environment away from gnome3. Is there a way to have something
>> similar to gnome2, like the fallback (gone already?), applets in the
>> window list (like the netspeed applet), 2D instead of 3D, etc. I have
>> not found any menus for setting, e.g. 2D under gnome3. (my laptop
>> already has gdm3, I didn't find anything there).
>
> You can select “GNOME Classic” as a session from the display manager.
> It is extremely similar to GNOME 2, except that the panel is black and
> you have to use alt+right click to configure it.
>
> There is also still a netspeed package.
>
> Cheers,

You can run:

# update-alternatives --config x-session-manager

and set /usr/bin/gnome-session-fallback as default system session.

--

Roman V. Nikolaev

Re: gnome fallback, etc??

Roman V. Nikolaev
29.06.2012 03:21, Svante Signell пишет:

> On Fri, 2012-06-29 at 00:23 +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
>> Le jeudi 28 juin 2012 à 12:45 +0200, Svante Signell a écrit :
>>> Unfortunately I have to upgrade my Debian systems without changing the
>>> desktop environment away from gnome3. Is there a way to have something
>>> similar to gnome2, like the fallback (gone already?), applets in the
>>> window list (like the netspeed applet), 2D instead of 3D, etc. I have
>>> not found any menus for setting, e.g. 2D under gnome3. (my laptop
>>> already has gdm3, I didn't find anything there).
>>
>> You can select “GNOME Classic” as a session from the display manager.
>> It is extremely similar to GNOME 2, except that the panel is black and
>> you have to use alt+right click to configure it.
>>
>> There is also still a netspeed package.
>
> Thanks a lot, it seems to be located in gnome-session-fallback package.
> And it will be part of Wheezy too? Some time ago the fallback version
> was unavailable when a 2D solution was found.
>
> BTW: I wonder how to configure applets and extended features with the
> Gnome 3 session, provided by the gnome-applets and
> gnome-shell-extensions packages. I did not find out how to do that,
> still using it on the laptop. alt+right click does not work. And is
> there a way to disable the 3D functions, the laptop has only 1GB memory
> and a slow graphics card (I think it is an i915).
>
> Thanks!

Try install gnome-tweak-tool

--

Roman V. Nikolaev

Re: gnome fallback, etc??

Josselin Mouette
Le vendredi 29 juin 2012 à 01:21 +0200, Svante Signell a écrit :
> Thanks a lot, it seems to be located in gnome-session-fallback package.
> And it will be part of Wheezy too?

Yes.

> Some time ago the fallback version
> was unavailable when a 2D solution was found.

Huh? This had only been the case for a few weeks and only in
experimental

> BTW: I wonder how to configure applets and extended features with the
> Gnome 3 session, provided by the gnome-applets and
> gnome-shell-extensions packages. I did not find out how to do that,
> still using it on the laptop. alt+right click does not work. And is
> there a way to disable the 3D functions, the laptop has only 1GB memory
> and a slow graphics card (I think it is an i915).

You have to understand that the “GNOME” and “GNOME Classic” sessions are
based on different software (resp. shell and panel). With the shell, you
enable extensions using gnome-tweak-tool. With the panel, you can edit
it like with GNOME 2.

 .''`.      Josselin Mouette
: :' :
`. `'
  `-

Re: gnome fallback, etc??

Svante Signell
On Fri, 2012-06-29 at 09:36 +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le vendredi 29 juin 2012 à 01:21 +0200, Svante Signell a écrit :
> > Some time ago the fallback version
> > was unavailable when a 2D solution was found.
>
> Huh? This had only been the case for a few weeks and only in
> experimental

I installed the gnome-tweak-tool and gnome-shell-extensions on my
laptop, but have not found any way to disable 3D (the graphics card is
slow, and main memory is only 1GB). Is it possible, or do I have to
install a non-3D libgl-package to disable direct rendering?

> > BTW: I wonder how to configure applets and extended features with the
> > Gnome 3 session, provided by the gnome-applets and
> > gnome-shell-extensions packages. I did not find out how to do that,
> > still using it on the laptop. alt+right click does not work. And is
> > there a way to disable the 3D functions, the laptop has only 1GB memory
> > and a slow graphics card (I think it is an i915).
>
> You have to understand that the “GNOME” and “GNOME Classic” sessions are
> based on different software (resp. shell and panel). With the shell, you
> enable extensions using gnome-tweak-tool. With the panel, you can edit
> it like with GNOME 2.

Thanks, I'm happily using gnome-fallback now. The only difference seems
to be that <alt><rightclick> is needed when accessing the panel compared
to <rightclick> before.