gnome-keyring deprecated?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

gnome-keyring deprecated?

Josh Triplett-9
The changelog for meta-gnome3 1:3.22+6 included the following entry:

> * gnome: Stop suggesting xul-ext-gnome-keyring, gnome-keyring is deprecated
>   and the module is not working with firefox >= 57 anyway.

I'm curious about the mention of gnome-keyring being deprecated. I
haven't heard anything about that. Where might I find more information
about that, and what is the intended replacement?

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: gnome-keyring deprecated?

Phil Wyett
On Tue, 2017-11-28 at 22:03 -0800, Josh Triplett wrote:
> The changelog for meta-gnome3 1:3.22+6 included the following entry:
>
> > * gnome: Stop suggesting xul-ext-gnome-keyring, gnome-keyring is deprecated
> >   and the module is not working with firefox >= 57 anyway.
>
> I'm curious about the mention of gnome-keyring being deprecated. I
> haven't heard anything about that. Where might I find more information
> about that, and what is the intended replacement?
>

Hi,

xul-ext-gnome-keyring depends on libgnome-keyring that is deprecated in favour
of libsecret for use with applications such as gnome-keyring.

Regards

Phil

--
*** If this is a mailing list, I am subscribed, no need to CC me.***

Playing the game for the games sake.

Web: https://kathenas.org

GitLab: https://gitlab.com/kathenas

Twitter: kathenasorg

Instagram: kathenasorg

GPG: 1B97 6556 913F 73F3 9C9B 25C4 2961 D9B6 2017 A57A

signature.asc (849 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: gnome-keyring deprecated?

Simon McVittie-7
On Wed, 29 Nov 2017 at 06:57:06 +0000, Phil Wyett wrote:
> On Tue, 2017-11-28 at 22:03 -0800, Josh Triplett wrote:
> > I'm curious about the mention of gnome-keyring being deprecated. I
> > haven't heard anything about that. Where might I find more information
> > about that, and what is the intended replacement?
>
> xul-ext-gnome-keyring depends on libgnome-keyring that is deprecated in favour
> of libsecret for use with applications such as gnome-keyring.

I've adjusted the changelog in svn to clarify the situation.

gnome-keyring, an implementation of the "Secret Service" D-Bus API, is
still a core part of GNOME. libgnome-keyring, an old library for
communicating with gnome-keyring, was superseded by libsecret,
a library for communicating with Secret Service implementations.

    smcv