gnome-terminal strangeness

Andreas Schmidt-15

Re: gnome-terminal strangeness

Thomas Fogwill
On Wed, 2006-04-05 at 15:04 +0200, Andreas Schmidt wrote:
> since updating gnome-terminal to 2.14, I have some issues with programs
> mutt, vi and less.
>
> The display of these programs is really messed up ....

I had a similar problem (in addition, dialog was also messed up in
gnome-terminal). I'm not too sure what I did to fix it - only thing I
remember doing is regenerating my locales (dpkg-reconfigure locales).
Not sure why that would fix it, but it seemed to (it's also possible
that I also did something else, but can't remember).

views of the CSIR.

CSIR E-mail Legal Notice

CSIR Copyright, Terms and Conditions

[hidden email].

and is believed to be clean.  MailScanner thanks Transtec Computers for their support.

Re: gnome-terminal strangeness

Andreas Schmidt-15

Re: gnome-terminal strangeness

Gustavo Franco
On 4/5/06, Andreas Schmidt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi, there,
>
> since updating gnome-terminal to 2.14, I have some issues with programs
> mutt, vi and less.
>
> The display of these programs is really messed up: they use only the
> upper half of the available screen to start with; mutt colors part of
> the screen; vi apparently inserts (for display only) random whitespace
> at the start of and between lines.
> (...)

It could be due to different charsets. What do you have in Terminal ->
Set Character Encoding ? Do you know if it matches with the encoding
that you're using in your default locale ? Do you have the latest
libvte4 (0.12.0-1) and libpango1.0-0 (1.12.0-2) ?

regards,
-- stratus

Re: gnome-terminal strangeness

Jean-Christophe Dubacq

Re: gnome-terminal strangeness

Andreas Schmidt-15

Re: gnome-terminal strangeness

Mikael Nilsson

Resizing the terminal window seems to solve the problem for me. (thus
making the menubar visible should also work).

(Please cc me on replies)

/Mikael
--
Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

Re: gnome-terminal strangeness

Hylke van der Schaaf
Mikael Nilsson wrote:
> Resizing the terminal window seems to solve the problem for me. (thus
> making the menubar visible should also work).

I have the problem only when I open a tab or window with a custom
command (usually an ssh session).

Making the menubar visible does not change the size of the terminal,
only the size of the window. The terminal keeps the same amount of
columns and rows, so the display is still messed up.

Resizing the terminal so the number of columns/rows changes does solve
the problem, but for a new tab things are messed up again.

The strange thing is that the environment variables LINES and COLUMNS
are set correctly.

Cya,
Hylke

Re: gnome-terminal strangeness

David Pashley
On Apr 05, 2006 at 14:04, Andreas Schmidt praised the llamas by saying:

> Hi, there,
>
> since updating gnome-terminal to 2.14, I have some issues with programs
> mutt, vi and less.
>
> The display of these programs is really messed up: they use only the
> upper half of the available screen to start with; mutt colors part of
> the screen; vi apparently inserts (for display only) random whitespace
> at the start of and between lines.
>
> The strange thing is that this behavior is inconsistent. Right now, I
> had several windows open, 2 with an ssh-connection to another machine
> (in both instances logged in as the same user), the others local. In
> one of the remote windows, a newly started mutt was displayed alright,
> in the other it was just as messed up as a locally opened mutt. Opening
> a new tab or su-ing from an exisiting didn't change anything; however,
> after closing and restarting gnome-terminal mutt & co behave normally.
>
> Any idea what could be wrong there?

Looking at the behaviour, it would appear that the terminal widget has
the wrong idea of it's size until it gets resized. You'll notice that it
will work fine on the first two tabs. The first tab works because it is
initially opened at 80x24 and then you maximise the window. The second
tab works because it creates the widget and then it adds the tab bar
which causes the widget to resize, setting the size. Any tab you open
after that does not get the right size until you resize it.

This is at least Debian bug #364993 and #361581. #364057 sounds like it
is related. It is certainly still a problem in gnome-terminal 2.14.1.

--
David Pashley