gtk-update-icon-cache

Michael Biebl
Hi all,

as maintainer of network-manager-gnome, I received this [1] bug report
today. The problem is, that n-m-g installs icons into
/usr/share/icons/hicolor. Apparently it needs to call
"gtk-update-icon-cache /usr/share/icons/hicolor". (Is this a new
behaviour of Gnome 2.14?)
Shouldn't other packages that install icons into
/usr/share/icons/hicolor have the same problem? Looking at the Ubuntu
package, the Ubuntu devs wrote a debhelper utility called dh_iconcache,
which creates the necessary postinst/postrm scripts.
But reading [2] dh_iconcache does not seem to be the way to go.
So, what's the best way to deal with this bug for now? Should I create
the postinst/postrm rules manually?

Cheers,
Michael

universe are pointed away from Earth?

Re: gtk-update-icon-cache

Loïc Minier
On Sat, Jun 10, 2006, Michael Biebl wrote:
> So, what's the best way to deal with this bug for now? Should I create
> the postinst/postrm rules manually?

 Block your bug with #369755.  You must avoid introducing the cache in
 your package *only* as it will break all the other packages.  We are
 putting some thoughts in a way to have a sane upgrade path.

   Bye,
--
Loïc Minier <[hidden email]>