half duplex

larinia@gmail.com
Hello list,

I am running debian unstable version on my laptop, for some reason, the
eth0 is running under half duplex. The interface does come up and I do
have internet access, I am just wondering if there is a way I can make
it working under full duplex. Can anyone help?

Thanks a lot

Larinia

Re: half duplex

Doofus
larinia wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> I am running debian unstable version on my laptop, for some reason,
> the eth0 is running under half duplex. The interface does come up and
> I do have internet access, I am just wondering if there is a way I can
> make it working under full duplex. Can anyone help?
>
> Thanks a lot
>
> Larinia

Hello.
How do you know you're running at half duplex?
What's the other end of your cat-5 cable connected to?

Re: half duplex

larinia@gmail.com
Hello,

I saw the half duplex message in the /var/log/syslog. I am not sure if
the cat-5 cable is the network cable(Sorry, I am a newbie), if it is,
then it is connecting to a hub, which is then connect to a wireless bridge.

Doofus wrote:

> larinia wrote:
>
>> Hello list,
>>
>> I am running debian unstable version on my laptop, for some reason,
>> the eth0 is running under half duplex. The interface does come up and
>> I do have internet access, I am just wondering if there is a way I
>> can make it working under full duplex. Can anyone help?
>>
>> Thanks a lot
>>
>> Larinia
>

> Hello.
> How do you know you're running at half duplex?
> What's the other end of your cat-5 cable connected to?

Re: half duplex

Patrick Dreker
Am Freitag, 29. Juli 2005 12.51 schrieb larinia:
> then it is connecting to a hub, which is then connect to a wireless bridge
If the other device really is a hub, then half-duplex is the best you'll get.
Only switches can do full duplex...

Patrick

Re: half duplex

linux4michelle
Am 2005-07-29 13:16:55, schrieb Patrick Dreker:
> Am Freitag, 29. Juli 2005 12.51 schrieb larinia:
> > then it is connecting to a hub, which is then connect to a wireless bridge
> If the other device really is a hub, then half-duplex is the best you'll get.
> Only switches can do full duplex...

This is not right, because the cheap 3Com OfficeConnect HUBs with
4, 5, 8 and 16 ports can do FullDuplex with 20 or 200 MBit too.

> Patrick

Greetings
Michelle

Michelle Konzack   Apt. 917                  ICQ #328449886
                   50, rue de Soultz         MSM LinuxMichi
0033/3/88452356    67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)

signature.pgp (196 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: half duplex

Nick Leverton
On Fri, Jul 29, 2005 at 11:51:23AM +0100, larinia wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I saw the half duplex message in the /var/log/syslog. I am not sure if
> the cat-5 cable is the network cable(Sorry, I am a newbie), if it is,
> then it is connecting to a hub, which is then connect to a wireless bridge.

Run "mii-tool -v" and see what it says.  It doesn't work on all network
adaptors, I'm especially unsure about the embedded type you get in
laptops.

But if it works, the "link partner" line will tell you whether the
hub can do full-duplex, and if you paste the output here we can see if
there's anything wrong.

Please either keep debian-kde in or CC me directly, thank you
Nick

Re: half duplex

Doofus
larinia wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I saw the half duplex message in the /var/log/syslog. I am not sure if
> the cat-5 cable is the network cable(Sorry, I am a newbie), if it is,
> then it is connecting to a hub, which is then connect to a wireless
> bridge.
>
> Doofus wrote:
>
>> larinia wrote:
>>
>>> Hello list,
>>>
>>> I am running debian unstable version on my laptop, for some reason,
>>> the eth0 is running under half duplex. The interface does come up
>>> and I do have internet access, I am just wondering if there is a way
>>> I can make it working under full duplex. Can anyone help?
>>>
>>> Thanks a lot
>>>
>>> Larinia
>>

>> Hello.
>> How do you know you're running at half duplex?
>> What's the other end of your cat-5 cable connected to?

Tell us the make and model of your hub and maybe we can quickly find out
if it'll talk duplex. Generally speaking you need a proper ethernet switch.

There are quite a few instances of some switch gear being incompatible
with some network interfaces when relying on Auto N-way.  Cisco and Sun
HappyMeals probably the best example. In these cases you need to have
only one of the two running auto-negotiation and the other hard set to
run 100MB/FD.

Re: half duplex

Vincent Bernat
OoO Peu  avant le début de  l'après-midi du vendredi  29 juillet 2005,
vers 13:46, Nick Leverton <[hidden email]> disait:

>> I saw the half duplex message in the /var/log/syslog. I am not sure if
>> the cat-5 cable is the network cable(Sorry, I am a newbie), if it is,
>> then it is connecting to a hub, which is then connect to a wireless bridge.

> Run "mii-tool -v" and see what it says.  It doesn't work on all network
> adaptors, I'm especially unsure about the embedded type you get in
> laptops.

On adapters that don't work, ethtool may work.
--
Make input easy to prepare and output self-explanatory.