hanging web pages

David Zelinsky
Many of the web pages I visit cause the browser to hang for
significant periods of time (a minute or more in many cases).  Until
the page finishes loading, the window does not update, and mouse
clicks have no effect.  This happens with every browser I've tried
(mozilla, firefox, galeon, ephiphany, konqueror).  I thought it might
be a java thing, but it seems to also happen with java and javascript
turned off.

How can I find out what's causing this, and how can I prevent it?  It
seems to be happening more and more, and it's really annoying.

-David

Re: hanging web pages

Joseph H. Fry
On Monday 21 November 2005 11:01 pm, [hidden email] wrote:

> Many of the web pages I visit cause the browser to hang for
> significant periods of time (a minute or more in many cases).  Until
> the page finishes loading, the window does not update, and mouse
> clicks have no effect.  This happens with every browser I've tried
> (mozilla, firefox, galeon, ephiphany, konqueror).  I thought it might
> be a java thing, but it seems to also happen with java and javascript
> turned off.
>
> How can I find out what's causing this, and how can I prevent it?  It
> seems to be happening more and more, and it's really annoying.
>
> -David

Stop visiting those pages ;-)

Seriously though... something is definitely wrong... I can't imagine it's the
browsers themselves, I've never had that happen in any browser in the last 5+
years.

Considering I have never had the problem myself, I can't begin to tell you
were to start.  Though I would imagine the problem lies in something all of
the browsers share... a library perhaps?  Or your network configuration,
though I doubt it.

Joe

Re: hanging web pages

David Kirchner
On 21 Nov 2005 23:01:59 -0500, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Many of the web pages I visit cause the browser to hang for
> significant periods of time (a minute or more in many cases).  Until
> the page finishes loading, the window does not update, and mouse
> clicks have no effect.  This happens with every browser I've tried
> (mozilla, firefox, galeon, ephiphany, konqueror).  I thought it might
> be a java thing, but it seems to also happen with java and javascript
> turned off.
>
> How can I find out what's causing this, and how can I prevent it?  It
> seems to be happening more and more, and it's really annoying.
>
> -David

Try watching "top" in another window or some other tool that lets you
watch memory use. Modern browsers require significant amounts of RAM,
and you may be running out, forcing the system to swap unused pages to
disk.

If you have less than 256MB of RAM, you may have a much better
experience if you increase it to 512MB or more.