heads up: timidity causes pulseaudio to not find sound cards

heads up: timidity causes pulseaudio to not find sound cards

Eric S Fraga
Hello all,

I recently did an 'apt update; apt upgrade' on my desktop which is
running testing (aka buster).  Doing so led to my losing sound through
any application that relies on pulseaudio, e.g. firefox.  I could still
use console based tools (e.g. mocp) to listen to music but pulseaudio
could not find my default built-in sound card, only the nvidia card
which provides sound through HDMI.  Unfortunately, not having any audio
device connected via HDMI, I could not hear anything.  I only have
speakers connected through the headphone jack.  (old skool)

Purging timidity from my system fixed the problem.  I did this based on
the advice from this web page:

although I am not entirely sure why this worked.  Halfway through the
purging operation, sound came back without even having to reboot or
restart any services.

Just a heads up in case somebody else loses sound all of a sudden.

Eric S Fraga via Emacs 27.0.50 & org 9.1.14 on Debian buster/sid

Re: heads up: timidity causes pulseaudio to not find sound cards

deloptes-2
Eric S Fraga wrote:

> I recently did an 'apt update; apt upgrade' on my desktop which is
> running testing (aka buster).  Doing so led to my losing sound through
> any application that relies on pulseaudio, e.g. firefox.  I could still
> use console based tools (e.g. mocp) to listen to music but pulseaudio
> could not find my default built-in sound card, only the nvidia card
> which provides sound through HDMI.  Unfortunately, not having any audio
> device connected via HDMI, I could not hear anything.  I only have
> speakers connected through the headphone jack.  (old skool)
>
> Purging timidity from my system fixed the problem.  I did this based on
> the advice from this web page:

> although I am not entirely sure why this worked.  Halfway through the
> purging operation, sound came back without even having to reboot or
> restart any services.
>
> Just a heads up in case somebody else loses sound all of a sudden.

Hi this is known issue, but purging is really not necessary as you could set
(AFAIK) TIM_ALSASEQ=false

in /etc/default/timidity

regards

On Monday, 12 Nov 2018 at 08:12, deloptes wrote:
> Hi this is known issue, but purging is really not necessary as you could set
> (AFAIK) TIM_ALSASEQ=false
> in /etc/default/timidity

Thanks.

I don't (currently) use timidity so purging was an easy
solution.  However, it's good to know that there is an easier more
elegant solution!

Eric S Fraga via Emacs 27.0.50 & org 9.1.13 on Debian 9.5

Re: heads up: timidity causes pulseaudio to not find sound cards

Jochen Spieker
Eric S Fraga:

> I recently did an 'apt update; apt upgrade' on my desktop which is
> running testing (aka buster).  Doing so led to my losing sound through
> any application that relies on pulseaudio, e.g. firefox.  I could still
> use console based tools (e.g. mocp) to listen to music but pulseaudio
> could not find my default built-in sound card, only the nvidia card
> which provides sound through HDMI.

I had a similar issue, but in my case it was just the order of the audio
devices that was shuffled around:

$ cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [HDMI           ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel HDMI
                      HDA Intel HDMI at 0xe0630000 irq 48
 1 [PCH            ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel PCH
                      HDA Intel PCH at 0xe0634000 irq 46

I can only assume that previously the PCH device was 0 and the HDMI
device was 1. In any case, alsamixer did not show any volume controls
anymore and applications like mplayer, which produce sensible error
output, reported that they failed to find a proper audio device.

The solution was simple:

$ grep snd_ /etc/modprobe.d/local.conf
options snd_hda_intel index=0
options snd_hda_codec_hdmi index=1

That and a reboot fixed it.

J.
--
I eat meat and am concerned about bugs which are resistant to
antibiotics.

Re: heads up: timidity causes pulseaudio to not find sound cards

Eric S Fraga
Very helpful.  Thanks.  I'll keep this around in case I lose sound again!

--
Eric S Fraga via Emacs 27.0.50 & org 9.1.13 on Debian 9.5