help with keyboard, lost at GDM-login?

lalberts
Hello,
i cannot login anymore since my keyboard is off (squeeze 6.0.6 on TP x201)
it got disturbed after lib-virt installation with synaptics.
i am a newbie, so be diligent. what can i do?
i can reboot in the recovery kernel and have a root shell. what then?
what is the gdm reconfigure command?
thanks
lukas

Re: help with keyboard, lost at GDM-login?

berenger.morel
You can do #dpkg-reconfigure gdm, but I am not sure it will solve your
problem.

What do you mean by "keyboard off"? Can not you switch to a TTY
(CTRL+ALT+Fxx with xx being 1-6) ?
If yes, then, you are not able to boot in recovery and you can just
kill gdm (#killall gdm or #/etc/init.d/gdm stop should work) before
doing the reconfigure stuff.

If your problem happen after having installed "lib-virt" I think the
best solution is just to remove it. On a TTY, as root, you can do that
by using both "#aptitude purge lib-virt", "#apt-get remove lib-virt" or
even using the ncurses aptitude's interface by typing "#aptitude" (here,
use "/" to start a search, and '-'/'_' to 'remove'/'purge' a package.
Use '+' to add one, 'g' to see what you will do and 'g' again to
confirm)

Hope it helps.

Le 14.11.2012 10:29, lalberts a écrit :

> Hello,
> i cannot login anymore since my keyboard is off (squeeze 6.0.6 on TP
> x201)
> it got disturbed after lib-virt installation with synaptics.
> i am a newbie, so be diligent. what can i do?
> i can reboot in the recovery kernel and have a root shell. what then?
> what is the gdm reconfigure command?
> thanks
> lukas

Re: help with keyboard, lost at GDM-login?

lalberts
This post was updated on .
Hello,
it worked once.. but after shutdown and reboot with normal kernel,
the problem is back. no keyboard, no way to type a password or to switch to a shell.
trackpoint is working.
so i have to hard-shutoff the laptop and restart in recovery mode.
doing the dkg-reconfigure gdm3, it tells me, scheduling the reconfig?
but there is no process gdm running (or gdm3, ps aux | grep gdm ? right?).
of course since i am in recovery and in a root shell.
doing the reconfig helps only once, wenn doing CTRL-D to continue boot procedure.
then on GDM i can login as user..
Oohh, i cannot reproduce the success..
i think i also first need to startx under root first.. the reconfig, then ctrl-D..  what is worng?
should I delete the /etc/GDM files? to be sure to have new configs? or those in home/.gdm or so?
(sometimes even the trackpoint does react no more)

at the root shell after a dpkg-reconfigure gdm3
scheduling reload of GDM configuration:gdm3
i cannot start gdm3?
could not connect to system bus: failed to connect to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: no file or dir ?
is that because we are in the recovery kernel?

i cannot reinstall gdm3 since in the recovery mode i do not have internet/network access?

whenever in the X-windows as root, i can not start /system/adminstration/services applet?
the configurationcould not be loaded? (unknow error occured)

lib-virt, kvm, qemu have been purged out.

lukas

Le 14.11.2012 11:19, lalberts a écrit :

> Hello,
> it worked once.. but after shutdown and reboot with normal kernel,
> the problem is back. no keyboard, no way to type a password or to
> switch to
> a shell.
> trackpoint is working.
> so i have to hard-shutoff the laptop and restart in recovery mode.
> doing the dkg-reconfigure gdm3, it tells me, scheduling the reconfig?
> but there is no process gdm running (or gdm3, ps aux | grep gdm ?
> right?).
> of course since i am in recovery and in a root shell.
> doing the reconfig helps only once, wenn doing CTRL-D to continu boot
> procedure.
> then on GDM i can login as user..
> OK, as a user i will do the reconfig once more..
>
> lukas

I was sure that this would not change a lot of things. You will have to
remove the offending packages, as I explained in my last mail (#aptitude
purge <package>).

About the ps, it only list process started by your actual user, started
by the actual terminal. As gdm is not started by your terminal but by
login, and as root, you will not see it. To see all processes, run "ps
-A" and for processes of only one user "ps -u <user>".

Re: help with keyboard, lost at GDM-login?

Ralf Mardorf
On Wed, 2012-11-14 at 11:47 +0100, [hidden email] wrote:
> About the ps, it only list process started by your actual user, started
> by the actual terminal. As gdm is not started by your terminal but by
> login, and as root, you will not see it. To see all processes, run "ps
> -A" and for processes of only one user "ps -u <user>".

Or you run "/etc/init.d/gdm3 status", resp. unlikely for Debian, as the
case my be, "service gdm3 status" or something similar.

Re: help with keyboard, lost at GDM-login?

lalberts
This post was updated on .
hello,
thanks for helping..
but.. not yet resolved.
i definitively do not know what i did to have my login work once.
my gdm is not running when i am in the recovery mode.
if i could start the network as root i could reinstall gdm3..
but i have no network?
oh i can reactivate the install-cd ?

i try.
i cannot.. the usb is not a cd..synaptics does not want him..

i reedited my second post.. with some more open questions..

how can i have wifi network from the root shell?

lukas

Le Mer 14 novembre 2012 13:01, lalberts a écrit :

> hello, thanks for helping.. but.. not yet resolved. i definitively do not
> know what i did to have my login work once. my gdm is not running when i
> am in the recovery mode. if i could start the network as root i could
> reinstall gdm3.. but i have no network? oh i can reactivate the install-cd
> ?
>

> i try. lukas

> [hidden email] Archive:
> http://lists.debian.org/1352894483578-2803096.post@...

The network have nothing to do with gdm, gdm only helps managing users
which connect on a session of a desktop environment. It is not even
mandatory.
I think you have installed something which mess gdm, but I can not say what.

Maybe you could try other connexion manager, they will be less "beautiful"
and maybe will not allow all options you have with gdm, but maybe you will
not see a real difference. You can try, as an example, xdm.Removing the
first and installing the second via apt* should do the work automagically.

Re: help with keyboard, lost at GDM-login?

lalberts
Yes,

but to aptitude install, i need the packages.. and i removed the usb/cdrom from the sources.list.
so i need the internet.. ftp..
so no way to update or reinstall.

but i got licky, i managed the not reproducible login after the root-shell and got
into my user login with net..
i reinstalled gdm3..  but i do not want to reboot no more.
did it help?..

i try later, i know have to use my account..

lukas

Re: help with keyboard, lost at GDM-login?

Lisi Reisz
On Wednesday 14 November 2012 12:01:23 lalberts wrote:
> hello,
> thanks for helping..
> but.. not yet resolved.
> i definitively do not know what i did to have my login work once.
> my gdm is not running when i am in the recovery mode.

No, it shouldn't be.

> if i could start the network as root i could reinstall gdm3..
> but i have no network?

Why not?  Choose single user mode when GRUB offers it, enter your root
password when it asks you to, and you will have network.

Or when you say you have no network, do you mean that you are for some
physical reason not connected?  Broken router or something?

HTH
Lisi

On Wednesday 14 November 2012 15:13:49 lalberts wrote:
> but to aptitude install, i need the packages.. and i removed the usb/cdrom
> from the sources.list.
> so i need the internet.. ftp..
> so no way to update or reinstall.

I still don't understand why you think that you can log-in, in recovery mode
or anything else, and not have the internet.  What do you see as the problem?

Lisi

On Wed, 2012-11-14 at 07:13 -0800, lalberts wrote:

> Yes,
>
> but to aptitude install, i need the packages.. and i removed the usb/cdrom
> from the sources.list.
> so i need the internet.. ftp..
> so no way to update or reinstall.
>
> but i got licky, i managed the not reproducible login after the root-shell
> and got
> into my user login with net..
> i reinstalled gdm3..  but i do not want to reboot no more.
> did it help?..
>
> i try later, i know have to use my account..
>
> lukas

You could add the cdrom to your source list. Since you're writing mails,
you also could download the package with another computer and install it
with dpkg -i.

Re: help with keyboard, lost at GDM-login?

lalberts

it is because the squeeze is in a messi state..

it does not start the services as it should..
in the recovery mode as root and startx the networkmanager is not there, it does take the usb-sticks and whatelse more.
in the normal boot procedure i found a way to get in..
at the gdm3 screen i can open the screen-keyboard as accessibility tool.
there i can login as user.. once in, i am still without the keyboard.. but i have the networkmanager working.
but!!  trying to reinstall packages needs my to enter my password for administrative tasks and then my screen-keyboard is disabled..  so, i keep there in some stupid situation..

i am afraid i will get ubuntu 12.04 lts, and stick for it for 5 years until the next LTS comes..
no debian stable or whatever..
keep with virtualbox  and never again virt-man..

i am sure my laptop is now in an interesting state for you linux experts, but i am sorry
i need to work with it..
my second machine is to get help but not for working.
for sure ubuntu will also have its secrets, but nothing serious happened in the last 8 years..
that is also why i did not get linux proficient.. that is the only advantage of Debian,
by time and problems you have to learn.

lukas

Re: help with keyboard, lost at GDM-login?

lalberts
by the way i reinstalled somehow the gdm3  with no results..

it is somewhere else within the starts procedures and services.. i believe.
something virt-man through out the order..

lukas

On Thu, 15 Nov 2012 13:37:20 +0100, lalberts <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> it is because the squeeze is in a messi state..
>
> it does not start the services as it should..
> in the recovery mode as root and startx the networkmanager is not there,
> it
> does take the usb-sticks and whatelse more.
> in the normal boot procedure i found a way to get in..
> at the gdm3 screen i can open the screen-keyboard as accessibility tool.
> there i can login as user.. once in, i am still without the keyboard..
> but i
> have the networkmanager working.
> but!!  trying to reinstall packages needs my to enter my password for
> administrative tasks and then my screen-keyboard is disabled..  so, i
> keep
> there in some stupid situation..
>
> i am afraid i will get ubuntu 12.04 lts, and stick for it for 5 years
> until
> the next LTS comes..
> no debian stable or whatever..
> keep with virtualbox  and never again virt-man..
>
> i am sure my laptop is now in an interesting state for you linux experts,
> but i am sorry
> i need to work with it..
> my second machine is to get help but not for working.
> for sure ubuntu will also have its secrets, but nothing serious happened
> in
> the last 8 years..
> that is also why i did not get linux proficient.. that is the only
> advantage
> of Debian,
> by time and problems you have to learn.
>
> lukas

Did you already try to set up xorg.conf for the keyboard? A long time ago
I had to buy an USB mouse, because my PS2 mouse didn't work with Debian,
xorg.conf didn't help. However, xorg.conf might solve your issue.

Hth,
Ralf

Re: help with keyboard, lost at GDM-login?

lalberts
Hello,

still I am running my squeeze with the accessibility screen-keyboard..
i can now sudo from the terminal.. to install packages..
so there is a solution possible without reinstall the whole system..
linuxmint13?  that is my problem, who is to give the stability i use to have with ubuntu until 12.04.
i did a dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration
without results.. the xconf must be Ok..  but still no progress..
i found somewhere some udev messages: can not connect to socket ...
udev already running..  or these kind of things..
it is not easy without keyboard to drive the squeeze.

thanks for your help

lukas

Re: help with keyboard, lost at GDM-login?

lalberts
i found some similar problems on the net:

sounds very familiar to me..
i am going to look at this rc2 file.. if i can manage it with my screen-keyb.

lukas

Re: help with keyboard, lost at GDM-login?

lalberts
YES...

i removed the symlink to S03udev in /etc/rc2.d  and that was it...

keyboard is back..

and yes,
i did change the marked services in administration.. yes udev was off, and it thought i put everything on ON.
but the mistake came afterward with libvirt..

who is interrested in my log files..
how can i contribute to the bug-report?

lukas

Re: help with keyboard, lost at GDM-login?

lalberts
i do not know..

the network-manager didnot start.. or what else,

like the keyboard did not.. some udev bug to my mind..

i removed S03udev from /etc/rc2.d  and the problem was solved..

so easy..  when somebody already had the problem and the net never forgets
and google finds whatyouarelookingfor..

lukas

Re: help with keyboard, lost at GDM-login?

lalberts
sorry for messing up the thread too..

not only my laptop..

lukas

Re: help with keyboard, lost at GDM-login?

lalberts
that would have been the right point to answer ?
12