hidden help in make

Gene Heskett-4
Which makes it easier to build/install an rt kernel, BUT

now I need to define for an rpi 3b, LOADADDR, as applied to building a
uImage.

Where can I find this info for an r-pi-3b?

Thanks anybody.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis

Re: hidden help in make

Gene Heskett-4
On Friday 21 June 2019 10:29:20 Gene Heskett wrote:

> Which makes it easier to build/install an rt kernel, BUT
>
> now I need to define for an rpi 3b, LOADADDR, as applied to building a
> uImage.
>
> Where can I find this info for an r-pi-3b?

Seems I found that, but without any further real progress, it needs a
copy of mkimage which is part of raspberrypi-tools according to google,
get it from github, its not in the repos by any recognizable name.
Found the zip, 300+ megabytes, and now mc has cracked the zip and it is
copying 907 megabytes worth of stuff to the 120GB ssd on the pi as build
scratchpad over my local network, with an estimated completion time of
about 13.5 HOURS, but thats growing by nominally 30 secs everytime mc
updates its progress.  Then I expect I have to process it with
dpkg-buildpackage, probably at least another DAY to generate and install
the deb.

All because I need whats likely less than a megabyte of executable code
thats in there somewhere. Seems to me that binary ought to be included
in build-essential...  Sigh.....

Several hours Later, 40% copied, 4 hrs 31 minutes to go. Dinner is in the
oven and my last load of laundry is in the washer.

> Thanks anybody.
>
> Cheers, Gene Heskett

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis

Re: hidden help in make

Alan Corey
unzip is much faster than mc on big files.  mc is just convenient for
small stuff.
  unzip file
or see the man page

On 6/21/19, Gene Heskett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Friday 21 June 2019 10:29:20 Gene Heskett wrote:
>
>> Which makes it easier to build/install an rt kernel, BUT
>>
>> now I need to define for an rpi 3b, LOADADDR, as applied to building a
>> uImage.
>>
>> Where can I find this info for an r-pi-3b?
>
> Seems I found that, but without any further real progress, it needs a
> copy of mkimage which is part of raspberrypi-tools according to google,
> get it from github, its not in the repos by any recognizable name.
> Found the zip, 300+ megabytes, and now mc has cracked the zip and it is
> copying 907 megabytes worth of stuff to the 120GB ssd on the pi as build
> scratchpad over my local network, with an estimated completion time of
> about 13.5 HOURS, but thats growing by nominally 30 secs everytime mc
> updates its progress.  Then I expect I have to process it with
> dpkg-buildpackage, probably at least another DAY to generate and install
> the deb.
>
> All because I need whats likely less than a megabyte of executable code
> thats in there somewhere. Seems to me that binary ought to be included
> in build-essential...  Sigh.....
>
> Several hours Later, 40% copied, 4 hrs 31 minutes to go. Dinner is in the
> oven and my last load of laundry is in the washer.
>
>> Thanks anybody.
>>
>> Cheers, Gene Heskett
>

> Cheers, Gene Heskett
>  soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
> -Ed Howdershelt (Author)
> If we desire respect for the law, we must first make the law respectable.
>  - Louis D. Brandeis

-------------
No, I won't  call it "climate change", do you have a "reality problem"? - AB1JX
Cities are cages built to contain excess people and keep them from
cluttering up nature.
Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach

Re: hidden help in make

Gene Heskett-4
On Friday 21 June 2019 20:23:17 Alan Corey wrote:

> unzip is much faster than mc on big files.  mc is just convenient for
> small stuff.
>   unzip file
> or see the man page

I have wondered about that, but in this case the BIG  bottleneck is the
pinhole sized channel thru usb2 to that drive..  The network is all
gigabit stuff, and mc can keep it fairly busy.

> On 6/21/19, Gene Heskett <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Friday 21 June 2019 10:29:20 Gene Heskett wrote:
> >> Which makes it easier to build/install an rt kernel, BUT
> >>
> >> now I need to define for an rpi 3b, LOADADDR, as applied to
> >> building a uImage.
> >>
> >> Where can I find this info for an r-pi-3b?
> >
> > Seems I found that, but without any further real progress, it needs
> > a copy of mkimage which is part of raspberrypi-tools according to
> > google, get it from github, its not in the repos by any recognizable
> > name. Found the zip, 300+ megabytes, and now mc has cracked the zip
> > and it is copying 907 megabytes worth of stuff to the 120GB ssd on
> > the pi as build scratchpad over my local network, with an estimated
> > completion time of about 13.5 HOURS, but thats growing by nominally
> > 30 secs everytime mc updates its progress.  Then I expect I have to
> > process it with dpkg-buildpackage, probably at least another DAY to
> > generate and install the deb.
> >
> > All because I need whats likely less than a megabyte of executable
> > code thats in there somewhere. Seems to me that binary ought to be
> > included in build-essential...  Sigh.....
> >
> > Several hours Later, 40% copied, 4 hrs 31 minutes to go. Dinner is
> > in the oven and my last load of laundry is in the washer.
> >
> >> Thanks anybody.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis

Re: hidden help in make

Alan Corey
Yeah, I use a 1 TB spinning drive by USB.  In Gimp with 6000x4000
images it's pretty slow but I just live with it, do less intermediate
saves.  I haven't looked at their source but I think mc calls unzip,
seems like it's a dependency.  Haven't messed with zips that big in a
few months.

I'm almost ready to put in a feature request to have mc work with adb
(for Android) in shell mode so you can plug in a phone and mc around.
Seems like it could be a filesystem plugin.  You can do adb shell and
you're looking into the phone but you spent a lot of time doing cd
this and that and working blind.  You can do adb push and pull for
file transfers.