how to get track info in audio cd using cdrecord

how to get track info in audio cd using cdrecord

H.S.

Hi,

I have been trying to get tracks information (same as CD text?) in
backup copies of my audio CDs but haven't been successful.

What I do is:
1. Copy the audio CD wav files using grip. This uses cdda2wav to rip the
files with this command:
$> usr/bin/cdda2wav -D ATAPI:%c -x -t %t  -L 0 -vall -O wav %w
where %c is /dev/cdrom.

2. This gives me .wav and .inf files. Now, I guess grip or cdda2wav
makes an appropriate entry in ~/.cddb directory for the CD using it's CD
ID tag.

3. In the .inf files that I get, I mostly do not get the track info from
the original CD. So I edit each .info file put in the title and performer.

4. After this, if I burn tracks to a blank cd using cdrecord, I still do
not get the track information on the new CD:
cdrecord -v blank=fast  dev=/dev/hdd -eject -pad -dao -audio -useinfo *.wav

So, [rip audio disk and edit .inf files]->[burn wav tracks to blank cd
using -useinfo]-> problem getting cd track info.

What I am doing wrong? It appears that "-useinfo" only checks
freedb.freedb.org and if it doesn't find the CD online, it doesn't write
any track info at all. If this is the way it is, how I force it to look
at my ~/.cddb to get the track info, or how do I force it to look for
the track info in the .inf files corresponding to each .wav file?

thanks,
->HS

Re: how to get track info in audio cd using cdrecord

Joseph H. Fry
On Wednesday 01 February 2006 11:05 am, H.S. wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have been trying to get tracks information (same as CD text?) in
> backup copies of my audio CDs but haven't been successful.
>
> What I do is:
> 1. Copy the audio CD wav files using grip. This uses cdda2wav to rip the
> files with this command:
> $> usr/bin/cdda2wav -D ATAPI:%c -x -t %t  -L 0 -vall -O wav %w
> where %c is /dev/cdrom.
>
> 2. This gives me .wav and .inf files. Now, I guess grip or cdda2wav
> makes an appropriate entry in ~/.cddb directory for the CD using it's CD
> ID tag.
>
> 3. In the .inf files that I get, I mostly do not get the track info from
> the original CD. So I edit each .info file put in the title and performer.
>
> 4. After this, if I burn tracks to a blank cd using cdrecord, I still do
> not get the track information on the new CD:
> cdrecord -v blank=fast  dev=/dev/hdd -eject -pad -dao -audio -useinfo *.wav
>

> So, [rip audio disk and edit .inf files]->[burn wav tracks to blank cd
> using -useinfo]-> problem getting cd track info.
>
> What I am doing wrong? It appears that "-useinfo" only checks
> freedb.freedb.org and if it doesn't find the CD online, it doesn't write
> any track info at all. If this is the way it is, how I force it to look
> at my ~/.cddb to get the track info, or how do I force it to look for
> the track info in the .inf files corresponding to each .wav file?

read the cdrecord man page... I think you need the -text flag or textfile= to
read either an ascii or binary cd-text info.

Joe

Joe

Joseph H. Fry wrote:

> read the cdrecord man page... I think you need the -text flag or textfile= to
> read either an ascii or binary cd-text info.
>
> Joe

Okay, I read the man page ... again. Here is the command I used:
$> cdrecord -v blank=fast  dev=/dev/hdd -eject -pad -dao -audio -text
-useinfo *.wav

without any success. So, reading the man page doesn't seem to have
helped at all.

On Wednesday 01 February 2006 11:32 pm, H.S. wrote:

> Joseph H. Fry wrote:
> > read the cdrecord man page... I think you need the -text flag or
> > textfile= to read either an ascii or binary cd-text info.
> >
> > Joe
>
> Okay, I read the man page ... again. Here is the command I used:
> $> cdrecord -v blank=fast  dev=/dev/hdd -eject -pad -dao -audio -text
> -useinfo *.wav
>
> without any success. So, reading the man page doesn't seem to have
> helped at all.

Sorry to get back to you 13 day's later... however, didn't you say that your
track info was in the .inf file... perhaps you need to use *.inf instead of
*.wav?

I'm no expert, but it makes sense  to me!

Joe